Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: AK.45 Update? Rhino?

Master Endmill Breaker Rhino_66's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

I just used plumbing solder for the AK.45 barrel blocks. Since there was essentially no stress on them, the low temp solder works fine. I figure if it was good enough for the Mauser, it's good enough for me.

I used a Chinese gas block on mine because the Chicom barrel has a diameter of 0.630" at that point. I enlarged the hole in the gas block with a reamer to allow me to keep the barrel wall as thick as possible. The barrel O.D. on my .45 coversion is 0.670" at the gas block, so the block I.D. is around 0.680" It's a slip fit to allow for soldering.

This is a view of the modified Chicom block as installed on my barrel

The wall may not look that thin, but keep in mind that no gas goes through the block to operate the rifle. My barrel wall thickness is 0.106" at the gas block. This is perfectly acceptable for .45ACP, but there's NO way I would trust .45-70 with a barrel that thin.

This pic shows the location of the pilot hole for the retaining pin. Take note of the position of the barrel O.D. compared to the center of the pilot hole. If you drilled the pin hole as is shown, you would DEFINITELY bulge the barrel if a press-fit pin was installed.

The land on the bottom of the block isn't thick enough (after reaming) to allow for repositioning the pin holes.

I haven't been keeping up on too many projects lately, so I don't know if you've already got your barrel blank selected or machined. If you haven't turned it yet, consider using an RPK gas block. As a matter of fact, I would recommend RPK barrel blocks for everything on your conversion.

With an RPK gas block, you'll have a much thicker barrel wall. It'll save you a TON of work, too. Instead of making sleeves and welding, just turn the barrel to the needed diameter. There will be plenty of barrel thickness for the retaining pins as well, except the front sight block. If you try to drill and pin the FSB, you will bulge the barrel with press-fit pins. Just solder the FSB and call it good.

As I recall...

RPK: O. D. DIMENSIONS
    Chamber 0.908"
    Rear Sight Base 0.885"
    Handguard Retainer 0.847"
    Gas Block 0.758"
    Front Sight Base 0.608"

The most damning evidence is the truth.

That which does not kill you, really really really hurts...

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Hey Rhino, is that still the same .45 project that I saw @ 4 years ago. You had it real close then.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Ryan! That's really good!!

And my thanks for a solution to a problem. I'd turned a 5.45 barrel too much at the gas block and had a slip fit. I'll try the solder on it!!
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 555th View Post
    Hey Rhino, is that still the same .45 project that I saw @ 4 years ago. You had it real close then.
    Yep, same one. After fixing the ejector slot, it worked like a champ. However... I decided to install a center support, had it all set up in the press, and everything was going smoothly. And then WHAM! my jig slipped and I managed to crush the side of the receiver.

I'm not heart broken over it, though. I wasn't happy with the magwell placement, and the trunnion I had wasn't the best choice. I've got all of it in a box with a new receiver blank and a different trunnion. One of these days I may get around to rebuilding it. I'm considering changing the magwell to pistol mags instead of the M3 grease gun mags.

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Winn R View Post
    Ryan! That's really good!!

And my thanks for a solution to a problem. I'd turned a 5.45 barrel too much at the gas block and had a slip fit. I'll try the solder on it!!

Low temp solder will probably erode slightly around the gas port at the interface between the parts. It shouldn't be a problem, as only a small area will be affected and carbon will eventually fill in the void and prevent further erosion.

Gunco Member #21

Gunco Regular Baron Von Semiautomatic's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Is/does it:
    A. Use Tommy gun mags?
    B. .45 acp.
    C. what's the price? Do you do layaway?

Feedback Score

just a bump. muttman

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Semiautomatic View Post
    Is/does it:
    A. Use Tommy gun mags?
    No, it uses M3 mags, but thompson mags would be cool if it worked, as the M3 mags are hard to load...

Thinking of how to get it to feed with the dual position feed, maybe a couple guides on either side, like Maadiman had trouble with on his vector .40 cal. MP5.

There are some pictures here of what I'm talking about.

Feedback Score

the thomson mags should work with the right work. if you look at the kahr tommy print that is posted on bigger hammer it gives the shape and size of feed ramp to make. muttman

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.