Gunco Forums banner

quest for 458 SOCOM reamer hit a snag

4K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  1biggun 
#1 ·
I have been looking for a a 458 SOCOM reamer and this is the answer I got. Thank you for your note and your interest in the .458 SOCOM. Due to our licensing agreement with Rock River Arms for the production of AR-15s in .458 SOCOM, the reamers have been classified as proprietary and the makers have been advised as such. However, we can assist you in building a bolt action rifle in this caliber, having already built a couple of them. For Savage rifles, we can sell you the barrel and have you drop it in your action, for Remingtons and others, we have a local shop that does the work for us (we do not do the bolt work ourselves). Let us know what you had in mind and we can work out a solution with you

Marty ter Weeme
Teppo Jutsu LLC
Home of the .458 SOCOM
www.teppojutsu.com

I suspose they would be cutting there throats by letting others manufacture there design. how ever if this cartrage does not take off will it die a slow death like so many other wild cat designs.I may look into the price of a barrel chamberd in this or perhaps a wild cat version of this round say .002 shorter call it the .459 BIGGUN. any of you guys ever make a reamer? . this is what I had in mind
http://www.tromix.com/Tromix_458.htm in a pistol who can make me a reamer with out violating the law. as long as I dont sell barrels in 458 SOCOM I would be ok correct. how does all the reamers made for all the other brands of proprietery round get done. I think I will get a price on a chamberd barrel first.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well... what exactly is your goal? To have one just to have the "only" AK in .458, or to build a "special kind of big game rifle", or just a cool CQB rifle?

If you're just looking to have one, you shouldn't be hindered by the fact that you can't get a reamer. I'd have to say that if you go that route, you should just buy the AR upper, or a bolt action barrel, or whatever, and get the barrel sleeved to fit the AK action. Sell off the rest of the parts on gunbroker and call it done.

I agree that they are working themselves out of a job, because of "proprietary" reasons to make more money. IBM did that with MCA architecture, and ISA-based PCs ruled the world thereafter. IBM lost market share and their arguably dominant status of PCs at the time.

If you're looking to cover the performance that this caliber covers, then you hit it that there are plenty of Wildcat carts out there that could meet the performance. You may want to look into the .50 Beowulf cartridge which would be my choice... more widely accepted and is no longer what I could call "wildcat".

Then again, you may be able to find something in the .40 size that would meet the performance this offers. Heck, maybe even a .35 round with the right case? I know there is a pretty popular .35 remington conversion called .35 whelen (I think) that is a heavy hitter. Maybe a .45-70 bullet? Dunno.

Have you looked around at the reloader Wildcat forums? What about Clymer? They have plenty of Wildcat calibers. You're talking about $400 to get dies and such for reloading. What about brass? I'm not even sure how they resize something into that shape!

#3 ·
My goal was to make a copy of the Tromix Ak in a pistol and rifle for big game hunting deer and bear. I liked the fact that the round fit into a AK mag with little or no modifacation. the bullet selection is a little better than the .50 round for hunting bullets as well. also the cool factor of just having one. I had hoped to get a reamer and use a 458 win barrel or a 45-70 and cut and rechamber it for cheap. I have emailed Teppo Jutsu as to pricing on a bolt action barrel or a chamberd blank. If I was able to obtain a a reamer I would be able to ofset the costs some as I am sure several of my hunting freinds would have to have one also and a Bolt gun would be doable as well. loaded ammo and formed brass are avaliable for this round as well. I have not rulled out the .50 beowulf at all and it would proably be a easyer build as the bolt face is the same as the 7.62x39. I need o finish my .308 project and helb build 5 pistols for my hunting friends before I start thinking of this to seariously. there is also a pile of sunomi kits that I had figure out how to make something usefull. the Temp is supposed to get above 30 degres this week end and maybe I can get the308 barrel turned to size.

#5 ·
Sang do you mean the .458 Win Mag?

"The .458 Winchester Magnum was introduced in 1956. It is loaded to 53,000 cup and it's a fairly compact cartridge that fits in a standard length action. The .458 Win Mag can deliver a 500 grain bullet at 2200 fps, giving it over 5,000 foot pounds of punch. This performance has made it a favorite for hunting the largest, most dangerous game animals in the world."

I think I'd call that the .458 WB - Wrist Breaker :)

#6 ·
No Sang means get the .458 SoCOM Savage barrel from Marty and the have a smith turn it down to AK profile.......BRILLIANT!! Damn you guys for putting ideas back into my head.

#8 ·
OK OK - I remember that caliber being discussed sometime last year. Same problem however in that you are almost guaranteed to reload everything. The good thing about the 458 Win Mag is the fact that you could buy ammo w/o reloading. Just a thought.

#9 ·
I have emailed them for pricing on a savage barrel. I am set up as far as lathes and mills to fit and or ream a barrel. I was thinking a bull barrel about 14" (this round can burn all it's powder in less than that) with a L1A1 gas block and using a short AMD 65 or shorter piston to balance it out. aim point or shotgun optics over the gas tube. I have several milled yugo kits that I plan to weld back together maybe even in a extra heavy slab side version . Im working on a drop in trigger group/reciver bottom with a push button saftey for my .308 project and would use it on this as well. dont mind adding some weight to this project to help controll the recoil. I read that a AR can use a drum as well with this round. If Tromix can make it work with a 7.62x39 bolt I think I can as well the face is the same as a .308 win. I could just buy a AR pistol with a rock river 458 SOCOM upper but it would be at least $1500 and no saying yea I built it in the shop. HCpookie have you done any more on the 9x39 idea? this is also a round that would work for me
here is some more good info on the 458 http://www.teppojutsu.com/458FAQ.htm

#11 ·
1biggun said:
HCpookie have you done any more on the 9x39 idea? this is also a round that would work for me
Budget constraints are forcing me to postpone this. I've got to get my CC bill down to a certain point and I don't want to my "entire" tax return already spent before I have even started to buy the stuff. HELL, I may just pony up and buy all the crap at once! :hatprop:

Reamers, brass, barrel, etc. are all sorted out. I just need to get stuff ordered. At $200 a pop, the ramp-up costs to get this started is a bit steep but I am completely committed to making this happen. So it is not a matter of "IF", rather a matter of "WHEN".

The 9x39 Groza project is what I would consider the best expression of this build, that will ultimately in the culmination of several back-burner projects into something which I have plans to make into "more" than a one-off curiousity. There's gonna be some 9x39 goodness comin' down!

#12 ·
1biggun said:
I found some make your own reamer info. http://personal.geeksnet.com/soderstrom/ReamerMaking/HowImakechamberreamers.htm Tcutting the taper looks to be the tricky part. I dont have a taper attachment or this would be easyer.

info on ammo and dies https://www.dakotaammo.net/shop/index.php?cPath=21_127

http://www.starlinebrass.com/descriptions.html#SOCOM
Yep that soderstrom site is "the" site I've used for reference WRT reamer building. What taper attachment would you need? If you can offset your tailstock the you'd be set. That, or simply rotating the cutting head would probably get you through enough to get it close, then judicious work could finish it off. Heck, if you had to you could use a file to get it down the last little bit. YES, I've put a file onto a lathed-up part before. If you keep it moving AWAY from your face it really isn't unsafe. Stupid, maybe, but not "unsafe".

#13 ·
I cant offset my tail stock (May be able to make one that does )but I may have enough travel on my tool to make it. If you get to the 9mm project I would be very interested in having you ream a barrel or two for this. a sunomi barrel comes to mind. Lothar walter barrels can do a .50 Beowulf blank for $175.00 thats not to bad for a new barrel when you would probably have to pay $50 -$100 for a used 458 win barrel and then make a ream for it and then rechamber it screw it up it ect. The .50 may be a better choice in a way as there are some sabots out there that would allow you to shot a .308 bullet. I use a file in on my lathe project all the time. Hell I have even mounted a 4.5" grinder to it once to reduce some really hard king pin stock very messy though. I have contacted several barrel makers and reamer makers today to see what is out there. If I could get a ream and have three buddies pitch in it would make it very affordable we share reload dies all the time

#14 ·
heard back on price of a savage barrel $325 shipped 0r $ 225 if I supplied a blank or If I supplied a 28" blank they would make 2 14" chamberd blanks for $325. I may play around on the mill a little and see how hard it is to make a reamer my self could practice on a old mauser barrel to see if it worked.

#17 ·
If you already have a lathe , why not make a D bit reamer . That is how rifles were chambered for a long time , and your only going to do one or two rifles with this reamer so life of the tool is not a major issue.

#18 ·
I have a lathe and a mill. I have been looking into making my own reamer I have been boged down with trying to help 7 friends build long barrel Rommy pistols for the last several monthes. Also want to get my own 308 WIN done. before taking on any thing else. Oh yea need to get a 223 done by early june for a prairie dog hunt. I have been wanting to get some books on wildcating and reamer building and study up some.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.