Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 9x39 reamer - on order! :)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I cant see why the neck area of a 7.62x39 cant be opend up to 9mm the rest of the case would be the same and if clymer says the 7.62 head space guage will work that means that from the shoulder back is the same so the only differance is the neck its self. as I see it all you need to do is ream/drill out the neck area to the size of a 9mm case. you should now be able to seat the bullet and crimp with a 9mm crimper. I see lee dies on ebay all the time for around $20 I bought a set myself havent used them yet. lee also makes a good factory crimp die as well. one of the sites I listed can make dies from fired brass, chamber molds or a print. I think I would call Zhat or Ch-4D and get there input. If you can come up with a cheap die source a lot of guys are going to want to have a barrel with this chamber. Im thinking $140 maybe lots less would be the max for dies and crimp plus you need a case expander not sure on that one. another $200 should get you into a decent turret press now all you have to do is come up with a load I would give hornady a call for a safe starting load. I would not worry about a rougher as you can drill a lot of the chamber out first with drill bits. better start designing a shell catcher Im thinking some thing that goes on a spare dust sheild for mine you brass is going to be worth at least 35-50 cent a piece to you if you value your time

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I'm going to have to discuss this with my dad, the reloading guru. Seems he either had or knows where to find 7.62 dies cheap so this may be the best path.

Feedback Score

HP,
    if you could get a soft blank and then use your reamer. Then harden it.

Problem I see with using a 7.62x39 is your going to have to really draw the temper down in order to use the reamer. Unless the reamer is coated carbide.

Though I could be totally out in left field. maybe dies are not that hard, only working brass.
    But they sure do seem hard as heck

Pete
    U.S. Army (Ret)
    NRA for Life

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

In my experioence with clymer , you can order a reamer for making your full length resizing die at the same time as the chamber reamer. There are a number of companies around that sell die blanks you just ream and harden. I got a qoute last year (early 2005) from rcbs of $159 for a set of dies for the 9x39. This qoute was just for the resizing and seating/crimp die. Still gona have to come up with dies to rework the cases, Im guessing probably 2 steps, maybe 3. I wonder is there another case with similar dimensions that we could cut off and then size down and ream? Ususaly easier to neck down than up and less worry of thin case necks. my .02

Keep us posted on your progress, I have been farting around with this idea for a few years but been in hopes some russian 9x39 (read cheap) would come in country

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I think I have the reloading die needs worked out in my mind. My dad has reloaded for the past 20 years at least and we spent half the night talking this through last night. I now have an understanding of the reloading needs involved and don't forsee this as such a high-dollar investment as I did previously.

$159 huh? My dad was guessing $100. He has done several wildcat builds and said they used to go for $60/set! I got the runaround from RCBS when I asked about custom dies a few months ago, although this caliber is in their RCBS.Load software... !?!?!? Clymer gave me the name of the guy to ask for at RCBS so I'm going to call and try again.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I cant figure out how to access the load date in the rcbs software but I have gotten as far as seeing there are 2 loads listed, both with h2400 powder, one for a 180 soft point and the other for a rem 200 grain roundnose, the program states the load data is from guns and ammo magazine 09/1993 so maybe somebody will have that issue and can share or tell me how to operate the rcbs program to get more info.
    The software from rcbs does state the proper twist rate for a 180 gr .358 diam bullet at aprox 1200 fps is 1-24, 200 gr is 1-21, 220 gr is 1-20, 240 gr is 1-18 and 260 gr is 1-16 . the 9mm bbl stock (.356) I use for my 9mm carbine projects is 1- 32 twist, and will barely stabilize a 155 gr bullet at 1070fps.
    I have a source for the 4130 annealed die blanks for $18 each. I will do a little leg work tonight and tommorow and find us some suitable bbl blanks and we can get this project up and running. My dad has one of the piezo electric strain gauge type chamber pressure indicators so we can work up safe loading data even if suitable data doesnt exist.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Before you get too far ahead of yourself, the best way to have reloading dies made is off of fired cases. The best way to get fired cases where the headspacing stays the same and you're going up in caliber is to fire the parent cartridge in the new chamber. That's right, buy some commercial, reloadable, ammo and fire it in the new chamber. The bullet will more or less rattle down the bore, but you'll end up with a fireformed case.

Three or four cases can then be sent to the die maker of your choice and they will make dies that fit your chamber. You can't just drill out a 7.62 die and use 9mm dies on the neck. If you've spent the money for a reamer and barrel, don't half ass it now. Like you say, that reamer may do many more chambers and could pay for itself. See if you can order more than one set of dies. That may also knock the price per set down.

panaceabeachbum has the right idea on bullet twist. 1-16 or 1-18 would be a good "all around". You may want to go with a .357 dia barrel as opposed to the "standard" for 9mm which is .355. It would open up a lot more possiblities including some of the rifle bullets.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by panaceabeachbum
    I cant figure out how to access the load date in the rcbs software but I have gotten as far as seeing there are 2 loads listed, both with h2400 powder, one for a 180 soft point and the other for a rem 200 grain roundnose, the program states the load data is from guns and ammo magazine 09/1993 so maybe somebody will have that issue and can share or tell me how to operate the rcbs program to get more info.
    The software from rcbs does state the proper twist rate for a 180 gr .358 diam bullet at aprox 1200 fps is 1-24, 200 gr is 1-21, 220 gr is 1-20, 240 gr is 1-18 and 260 gr is 1-16 . the 9mm bbl stock (.356) I use for my 9mm carbine projects is 1- 32 twist, and will barely stabilize a 155 gr bullet at 1070fps.
    I have a source for the 4130 annealed die blanks for $18 each. I will do a little leg work tonight and tommorow and find us some suitable bbl blanks and we can get this project up and running. My dad has one of the piezo electric strain gauge type chamber pressure indicators so we can work up safe loading data even if suitable data doesnt exist.
    Thanks for that info... its a start! I'm going to show that to my dad so he can compare it to the std. 7.62x39 loads he has listed. Funny thing, my brother sold his 7.62x39 reloading die set last year... I could have used his!

All the raw materials like barrel blanks, etc. are available at MidwayUSA. When you look at .35 barrels, you'll notice the minimum of $150/barrel. Ouch. BUT I have a few ideas that may knock the price down a bit.

Does that software have any sort of graphic capability to show bullet drop, etc.?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I am buying 9mm bbl blanks as 1" unturned 25" for $88 . The thing with the 350x39 is it is .358 diam to use the 35 cal rifle bullets. I am going to use .357 bore blank for mine. Might be smart to pay the extra $50 when you order the chamber reamer and get the one with the replaceable pilot so you can experiment with a variety of diff bore diam bbls. If we could generate enough intrest I wouldnt mind writing the gcodes for my cnc lathe and contour a bunch of blanks all in the same setup. Very glad to find a few other folks interested in the cartridge, now we just need to get starline to crank out some brass, I would sign on for a couple of thousand pieces.

From a cost savings standpoint I think the best way on the reload dies is to buy the resizing die reamer from clymer at the same time you order the chamber reamer, and have it cut to resize for an autoloader. Reaming and hardening reloading dies is not any harder than reaming a chamber, The reamer should be in the $95-$147 range from clymer and will be able to ream 75+ resizing dies before sharpening. Try ing to ream existing dies is gonna require anealing them then rehardning, alot easier to just by the anealed, threaded blanks.

Feedback Score

CH4D does custom dies at a fair price. Unlike RCBS, CH4D can be bothered....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.