Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 9x39 reamer - on order! :)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

drew the 350x39 and 7.62x39 in autocad for visual comparison, the 350 is slightly larger in diam at base of shoulder than 7.62x39 as a result case taper is diff so reworking 7.62 x39 dies isnt going to be a cost effective option, Especialy with unreamed blanks at $18.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

FYI, the Clymer Tool website has the specs listed for the chamber.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie
    FYI, the Clymer Tool website has the specs listed for the chamber.
    The two drawings above were generated with the dimensions from the clymer site

It would be nice if we could find a copy of that G&A article and see how they were forming brass. With chamber reaqmer and resizing die in hand brass forming is the last step. Probably just fireform the brass like mentioned early in this thread

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by panaceabeachbum
    It would be nice if we could find a copy of that G&A article and see how they were forming brass. With chamber reaqmer and resizing die in hand brass forming is the last step. Probably just fireform the brass like mentioned early in this thread
    I've mailed a letter to the G&A office to see what they can do for me. I've also got a query in to a guy that mentioned he may have a copy in his attic. Crossing fingers...

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I did not relize that the taper would be changed when I sugested re working a 7.62 x39 die. I thought only the diamiter of were the bullet seated would be inlarged. Lots of good info here. Hcpookie I really hope this all pans out I mentioned what you were doing to a few friends that play with this stuff and a 200 grain bullet was of great interest. the head space guage working part is what led me to believe that the only changes was the bullet Dia. is the neck with a lesser taper angle to allow more powder? I invisioned the neck just starting back further from the top of the case and the angle being the same just shorter .

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Here's the Russian 9x39 - that's a 250gr 9mm bullet:

http://world.guns.ru/ammo/a_sp-5_sp-6.jpg

The only 250 gr bullets I've found are either SP or the Barnes bullets. SP isn't an option IMO due to the feed issues a SP bullet can create. The Barnes bullets are a bit pricey. Nosler ballistic tips seem to only come in 225gr if you can find them.

I noticed that there's a slight discrepancy with PanaceaBeachBum's dimensions image. Hopefully there will be enough shoulder for headspacing w/ common gauges.
    Last edited by hcpookie; 03-09-2006 at 08:50 PM.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie
    Here's the Russian 9x39 - that's a 250gr 9mm bullet:

I noticed that there's a slight discrepancy with PanaceaBeachBum's dimensions image. Hopefully there will be enough shoulder for headspacing w/ common gauges.
    please point out any descrepancies so I can correct them. The posted drawings are to scale and are drawn to the exact dimensions given on the clymer website. If the dimensions given by clymer are correct thats what the fireformed case from a chamber cut with their reamer will look like. I think the percieved lack of sholder is just an optical illusion as yoo look at the two side by side. The .350x99 has a shoulder its just very slight. If you measure the shoulder on a 7.62x39 and then measure and compare the od of a 35 rem case neck you will see ther is only about .012 diff in the shoulder and neck diameter so its going top appear as if there is no shoulder.
    I added the dimensions to the drawing in hopes that will make it more clear.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

also keep in mind my scale drawing of the .350x99 isnt going to look the same as a 9x39 pictured, as the drawing is a .350x99 and they are two similar but different cartridges, with diff case dimensions other than oal and base diam.
    The 350x99 is designed to work around fireformed 7.62x39 brass so it can be easily formed by the handloader, the 9x39 is a stand alone cartridge with no thoughts of forming it from another fired case.
    Looking in janes weapons they show the same base diam and oal as the 7.62x39 but the base of shoulder diameter of 9x39 is shown as .430 diameter compared to the 350x99 base of sholder diameter of .400 which is basicly the same as .762.
    The skinny of what I am saying is the .350x99 has diff dimensions than the 9x39 so the drawing isnt going to look the same as the 9x39 pics and a chamber cut to .350x39 dimensions isnt going to allow the use of 9x39 ammo if any becomes available at some point.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.