Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 45 win mag ak

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Default 45 win mag ak

anybody worked up an AK up in 45 win mag yet?

Feedback Score

Hmm... That sounds like it would be tough to do. 45 Winchester Magnum is powerful enough that it's going to need a locked action. Trying to feed a pistol-type cartridge through the AK action will be a real trick. That's not to say that it's impossible or anything, but I think it would require a single-feed magazine, possible narrowing of the feed lug on the bolt to clear the magazine feed lips, and the feed ramp would probably have to be removed from the trunnion to ensure enough clearance for reliable feeding. The mouth of the chamber will probably need a generous taper to accept the round reliably.

Double-feed magazines might work, but would have to be very carefully placed to allow for reliable feeding. Too close and the guide/locking lugs on the trunnion will deflect the front of the round too much to get to the chamber. Too far and the bullet will be free of the magazine before it begins entering the chamber. Getting a fat, stubby bullet to guide into the chamber is much trickier than guiding a long, slender bullet to do the same thing. A single-feed magazine would solve the problem of deflecting the round to the left or right during feeding, since a single-feed magazine by its very nature would have the round centered.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

For the ak I think I will just use grizzly mags since I will have the pistol with me when hunting. Def going to need to retain the rotating bolt. I know from past projects that 30 carbine mags will work

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

So what's your plan? A rotating bolt gas-feed system or a single shot "California-style" pump action? Trying to picture this in my mind.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

my thought is rotating bolt gas operated semi. I dont think feeding from a single stack grizzly or wildey mag is gonna be any problem, pretty much a straight shot into the chamber with the grizzly mag. I am pretty sure the ak bolt can be opened up enough, I have seen an ak in .458x2 with the bolt face opened up larger than needed for the winmag , it was throwing 500gr fmj at 1000 fps

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

M1 carbines mags would work nicely!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Why would the action need to be locked? Not following... seems like it would be less powerful than that Tromix .458 build, but in a smaller cartridge? If he can build that in Semi config, then why not this one? How long of a barrel would you do?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

I don't know anything about these -- I had to look the 45 win mag up; the ballistics seem about the same -- 230 gr @ 1400 -- as the 44 mag.

Why not use the more common 44?

Well, I may answer my own question. Being a revolver cartridge with a raised base it may be interesting getting it to feed.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie
    Why would the action need to be locked? Not following... seems like it would be less powerful than that Tromix .458 build, but in a smaller cartridge? If he can build that in Semi config, then why not this one? How long of a barrel would you do?
    I think what he is reffering to by locked is via the standard rotating bolt verses the staright blowback system used in the 9mm and 45 ak builds, locked at moment of firing via the rotating bolt, unlocked when the gas piston moves the carrier rearward. The std ak is considered a locked breach firearm, uzi unlocked

I am planning on it bieng a semi auto gas operated rifle just like the std ak with rotating bolt , I am not familiar with the 458 tromex but at 1200 ft lbs of energy out of my pistol the 45 winmag is just to stout to be a straight blowback so tech it will be a locked breach via rotating bolt.

My reason for using the 45 winmag in this build is I already have an AR15, rebareled deerfield carbine and m1 carbine in the caliber as well as an lar grizzly pistol and wildey hunter in 45 winmag also. Once you slam 230 gr fmj out of a rifle at 1700 fps it gets adictive. The 45 winmag can safely be handloaded to far exceed the 44 magnum and Since I already have dies brass etc it seems like a natural choice (for me). I would work with the 50 beowolf but both my alexander ARs had cracked lowers and one the upper as well as multiple cracked bolts so I think it might be a little to much but maybe the ak action could handle it, lack of bullet choices also kicks the 50 beo out of the running.
    Please post a link or more info to the .458 tromex as I might give it some consideration, If it uses .458 diam bullets so I could use the 500gr fmj if brass is easily formed that might be exciting, never have to many big bores

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

OK that makes more sense now. Personally I would consider the AK action much stronger than the AR, so even if they are cracking things on an AR, I wouldn't worry about an AK. But that's IMO. Meeper converted one to .50 Beowulf before.

Look at the other links in this section for additional .458 info... bunch of .458 caliber options it would seem. It was 1biggun that was looking into it...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.