Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: the Aloha 308 Yugo Hybrid

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

One word on the use of FAL magazines.....the FAL receiver acts as feed lips of a sort, and the FAL magazine was designed around that.

You might be better off maybe trying G3 or M14 magazines.

I know that Armalite looked hard at the FAL magazine when they brought out their AR10 years ago, but decided on the M14 style magazine because of issues.

Bushmaster tried a .308 AR rifle that used FLA magazines and they also had issues......

Good luck in your project!
    "RPG kaboom tank!"

Comrade Soldier Koverchenko

Feedback Score

So here is how the mag will work in my build.
    The FAL mag has a protrusion out the front in order to engage this I welded a short piece of 1/4" rod at the front of the magwell opening.
    I then will modify the AK latch. It needs to be thinned down and bent forward somemore
    Attached Images Attached Images
    U.S. Army (Ret)
    NRA for Life

Feedback Score

rest of the mag images, sorry I got them out of order.
    I plan on grinding the welded piece down until its flush with the bottom of the receiver.
    Then the remaining part will still hold the front of the mag.
    U.S. Army (Ret)
    NRA for Life

Feedback Score

I feel that the mag will work.
    As you may notice I am using a milled receiver kit and am just going to place the trunnions inside a piece of 1.5x2x.125 walled tube.
    I will make up longer pins from O1 tool steel, and weld inserts inside the tube for the mag dimples.
    So right now its a FAL barrel and gas block with the sight bit removed from the FAL gas block.
    An AK front sight block and then the FAL flash suppressor.
    I am going to use a FAL piston on the AK carrier.
    For the gas tube what I want to do is to cut the AK tube just ahead of where it attaches to the rear sight block. Use a slightly shorter FAL tube inserted into the AK pieces. Then the wood upper hand guard will hide where the AK tube was cut and welded onto the FAL tube. Sort of along the same ideas as to how a stretch limo is made.
    I will be making a custom lower handguard and combined with how I am leaving the tube long i WILL HAVE A FLOATING BARREL.
    U.S. Army (Ret)
    NRA for Life

Feedback Score

Here is a FAL next to a G3 mag.
    I am not trying to be argumentative, but I don't see how there is any difference between the two that will effect feeding.
    I do find that the FAL fits into the AK trunnion much better and I think it will be easier to use in a 308 AK build.
    I don't own any M14 mags or AR10 mags yet.

Pete
    U.S. Army (Ret)
    NRA for Life

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I'm going to weld AK-style lugs onto the G3 mags, and then grind the crap out of them until they fit
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie
    I'm going to weld AK-style lugs onto the G3 mags, and then grind the crap out of them until they fit
    I am very interested to see how others solve getting the .308 into the weapon.
    I ordered a half dozen G3s and the same for the FALs. If I can find some cheeper I will also look at getting some M14 mags.

What I am trying is to not modify the mag. I want to see if its possible to get the stock mag to work, then I can have a single ammo stock pile thats going to work in multiple platforms. Probably not that important to many folks, but its one of my design goals for this particular build.

Plus if it doesn't work I am only out the 3$ worth of steel thats going into the receiver and you should have your design done so I can copy it
    U.S. Army (Ret)
    NRA for Life

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

You know that someone has made a magazine well that lets unaltered G3 mags fit into a receiver? I saw that on saiga-12 I think, in their Saiga .308 forum.

It was "different" to say the least, but it worked. I don't think there was any modification to the receiver, but I don't remember back that far. I never bothered to save pics either.

Magazine, receiver, it doesn't matter to me. Its not like there will be 10,000 of these things in some war somewhere, so a proprietary mag is OK with me. I really dislike the stock G3 receiver's magazine well so I really don't want to imitate that at all.

I'm not worried about modifying the receiver either. My opinion is that I'm going to modify anything I need and live with the consequences of the magazines. There's no need, IMO, to "not" modify mags. If and when any "new" AWB surfaces in the future that prohibits grinding on a magazine, then I will prepare for the "future" by modifying about 25 mags or so and putting them away in cosmo.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

If you are using a FAL gas block and FAL gas tube and piston. Why not just cut of the RSB end of the AK tube add a sleave/bushing then you can slide the FAL gas tube in from the back and use the FAL threads on the tube and the gas block. this way you do not need to weld up any thing. Man I need to figure out how to post pics here. You have to cut the carrier down as it will not fit into the FAL gas tube.I have a pistol that runs a FAL Gas block piston and tube as discribed looks very clean with no top hand guard. plan on doing the same on the 308 build. I will use G3 Mags I dont have a FAL so interchangibilty is not a Issue and I think they may be better suited for other caliburs that I may try on this platform like a 358-08. I to am using a milled kit but I am going to splice mine back together flush instead of over lapping. Your set up would be great for the drop in trigger group I am working on. Its basicaly a part of a stamped reciver that will slip up into a wider milled reciver. there will be no need for holes or clips/retainer spring as the pins will be held from moving by the reciver sides.The pistol grip bolt holds it in place.I like the floating barrrel part. I plan on shooting mine with no gas block or tube (load by hand) at first to see how accurate it will do, before going to a simi auto nonfloating barrel set up and compare the two . I will work on Pics

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun
    Your set up would be great for the drop in trigger group I am working on. Its basicaly a part of a stamped reciver that will slip up into a wider milled reciver. there will be no need for holes or clips/retainer spring as the pins will be held from moving by the reciver sides.The pistol grip bolt holds it in place.
    Now that is a very interesting idea and one I think I will look more into.

How will you handle the selector lever?

I like the idea for the gas tube also. I keep having different thoughts as to how its going to look in the end. Either something that strongly resembles an SVD or just a total custom "Made by Pete" thing.
    Guess i will have to build two.

I get the point of the G3 mag and being able to uses other calibers.

Pete
    U.S. Army (Ret)
    NRA for Life

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.