Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: the Aloha 308 Yugo Hybrid

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

with your reciver design It's already a made by Pete special why not go all out. selector lever would be in the same location. on your set up you are going to have to modify it for the wider width. I have seen pics of a AK style rifle with a push button safety http://www.impactguns.com/store/VEPR-VS308.html. but I would think that a bar running across the back of the trigger in the same place the selector would hit it, would work. One of my dislikes on my hunting pistol is trying to work the selector one handed in a hurry and doing it quietly.. If you made your reciver wide enough for a bent and cut down tapco to just slip in in the trigger area it would be easy to do. Mine will be standard width (the first one any way) so I am looking at milling up a one piece trigger guard/trigger group housing with a built in mag catch. I probably could have had a running 308 by now but I keep thinking of new things I want to do. I would like to get a close up look of the super vepr's mag release and safety. My goal is to be able to switch from a light target style trigger to a heavyr or 2 stage system in a few seconds or so plus it will look cool and feel smoother with no pins sticking out. NOT A TOSS AWAY FA TRIGGER GROUP THAT ANOTHER SITE ACUSSED ME OF WANTING! That super vepr is real close to the rifle verson I want to build. A working 308 pistol or some other large cal pistol is my main goal by this november's deer season that and paying to mortage.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie
    ...There's no need, IMO, to "not" modify mags. If and when any "new" AWB surfaces in the future that prohibits grinding on a magazine, then I will prepare for the "future" by modifying about 25 mags or so and putting them away in cosmo.
    There is something to be said for modifying one part to work with 25 unmodified parts, rather than modifying 25 parts to all work with the a single part.

On the other hand, all it takes is a repeatable method of modification (some sort of jig for instance) to take all the frustration out of modifying several units to the same specification.

Feedback Score

I gave some more thought to the drop out FCG. My thought is it will drop down from the top.
    Its going to be retained by the five 10-32 cap screws that will hold the trigger guard in.
    Going to make my own safety, will be more like an AR type. Right thumb, rotate clockwise to go bang. But it will use the AK style of opening in the receiver and retention. With the pivot point lower down on the receiver the blocking bar can be much smaller. So it can rotate forward and wont interfere with the disconnector.

I got the FAL sight/gas block modded and installed. Cut down and shaped the rear sight block to fit the larger diameter barrel. Made uo and installed the lower rails. With this build I am doing the lowers and then the uppers.

Of course my MIG ran out of gas 1st thing so I didn't get as much done as I had hoped.

After I get the upper rails located and welded in I will then go back and finalize the mag retention system. At least right now with just the lowers in it does line up correctly and feeds.

Pete
    U.S. Army (Ret)
    NRA for Life

Feedback Score

I'm working on a 308 AK project.I bought a Yugo 308 AK mag at a gun show for $10!!!The guy thought it was an FAL mag.It's a real Yugo mag not an USA mag.I have some of the Valmet 308 mags made from HK mags.I have a couple 308 Galil mags too.I opened up the bolt face of standard AK bolt.Modded the extractor.I'm just going to ream a Yugo 7.62x39 barrel for starters.After figuring out the magwell and magazine I'll use a 308 barrel blank turned to AK dimensions.The reason the Russian 308 AK's went to a three lug bolt is the two lug design wouldn't pass the strict European proof pressure testing.They already had a three lug bolt design in the SVD.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

You stole the Mag. I was considering reaming a factory barrel to 308 as well. one could shot cheap ammo as is, accuracy may suffer due to smaller bulet and hand load .311 bullets for acuracy.
    I like the AR safety idea. I am having trouble visulizing the drop in trigger group going in from the top. Is it thin enough to clear the rails? need pics. what I was thinking for mine was an assembly of the trigger group, guard ,mag catch all combined together inserting from the bottom held in by one screw.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun
    I am having trouble visulizing the drop in trigger group going in from the top. Is it thin enough to clear the rails?
    No
    I didn't even think of that.

OK, v2
    The rear trunion is retained by 10-32 button head screws. Will need to remove the trunnion to pull the trigger group out the back.
    U.S. Army (Ret)
    NRA for Life

Feedback Score

Well I got the upper and lower rails fabbed up and welded in and got the mag catch shaped and fitted.
    The rails are all .050" 4130 sheet with a 90* bend in it.
    The latch is a piece of 3/8" square welded to the stock latch then attacked with grinder and file.

It feeds loads, and extracts
    Attached Images Attached Images
    U.S. Army (Ret)
    NRA for Life

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Very cool - looks like you got the hard part finished!!!

The more I think about it, the more I think about using a "G" kit for the .308 conversion. Meeper never used the thick trunion for his conversions...

Feedback Score

awe come on guys. I'm married, have a kid, I'm in college, I can't afford all these projects!!!! stop it, stop it now. you gotta quit dangling this stuff in my face
    Isa 50:7.
    For the Lord GOD will help me; therefore shall I not be confounded: therefore have I have my Face Set Like Flint, and I know that I shall not be ashamed.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

...how do you plan on lengthening the bolt and what are you going to use for a firing pin??
    ...I'm not tense! Just terribly, terribly alert.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.