Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: the Aloha 308 Yugo Hybrid

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by SA58
    ...how do you plan on lengthening the bolt and what are you going to use for a firing pin??
    I am not going to lengthen the bolt. For the firepin my plan is to use some 1/4" drill rod. picture a AR firing pin where the shoulder of the pin stops on the carrier.
    My thought is to turn down the rod for the part that goes inside the bolt and then leave the larger diameter "tail" of the pin. It wont need to be more the .5" long.
    I will have the pin reduced in diameter where the retaining pin goes.
    I want to bore out the back of the bolt a little ways so I can stick a spring back there.
    If it looks like having the pin stop on the back of the bolt is tearing something up, I can set up a strong cross pin to stop the hammer just shy of slamming the pin into the back of the bolt.
    I "think" this will work. I have it all designed in my head.

Next step is to get the gas tube and piston done. Then I am going to do the FCG. Then the firing pin.
    U.S. Army (Ret)
    NRA for Life

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

are you sure the bolt will not work as is? are you moving back the trigger group? I can see having to move the trigger group back on a 8mm because the mag is like another 1/2" longer but if you look at, I think the veper 308 the trigger group is in the original location just has the trigger guard closed up some. I havent got that far (got stuck helping friends build six rommy pistols) but I had no plans for any bolt mods except opening up the face. was the saiga 308 bolt longer? I thought it was the same length except for the extra lug. It will take a pretty strong cross pin not to bend from being hit by the hammer. I have seen cross member pins and bushings bend from the hammer hitting them

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

there were a bunch of pics posted by Sang and others under my 308 AK thread ,but I see the will not come up any more?? compared the saiga /m76 and 7162x39. may be some one saved them.

Feedback Score

I honestly do not know about the bolt and haven't done anything with the FCG yet. it's possible its all going to work as is.
    I know that the FCG is getting moved back. I believe that my mag well is 1/4" longer then stock, but I don't remember exactly. Someone else asked about me about the bolt and my thought is if its needed a longer pin should solve the problem.
    I won't be using a stock crosspin.
    Hopefully this weekend I can play around with the FCG and determine what will work, what wont.

So far I have $63 into this. Thats the milled kit, steel, fal barrel, piston, and flash supressor. Friend gave me the barrel, its shootable, but really is toast.
    Anyway this is a nice cheep, couple hours every weekend in the garage project.
    I will ensure its safe, but the main point is to see what exactly will work.
    Hopefully someone will see something I have done and get their own creative juices flowing. Another thought is if I do get problems it will help others avoid them. Version 1 is the proof of concept.
    FAK-30 v2.0 will get some $$ into it. I am looking at a quality barrel and some laminate blanks for the furniture. And I will be using a stamped Yugo versus this cobbled together milled kit.

Pete
    Last edited by aloharover; 03-31-2006 at 09:22 AM.
    U.S. Army (Ret)
    NRA for Life

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

stay at it. if I ever get these Damm rommys assembled. I will be working on my 308 again. if you move the FGC back much you will have to Mod the bolt. I am going to try to loose most of the area were the mag lath spring is and close up the trigger guard only slightly to keep original FCG position. looks like the ejector position will have to move back to to allow the longer casing to clear the chamber before getting kicked out.

Feedback Score

OK, I had a chance to quickly measure things this morning as I was taking the trash out.
    My mag well is .7" longer then a stock 7.62x39
    So I will need to move my FCG back by the same amount.
    I think I can get away with a longer firing pin without needing to do anything to the bolt.
    I do plan on having the ejector further back, I want to be able to do live ejects. Will then look at modifying the receiver cover.
    U.S. Army (Ret)
    NRA for Life

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

What if you just added a short section to the bolt using threads? I am thinking about a .243 version. I am going to use the Galil 12 round mags. Any pointers?
    Freedom is not free. Some will perish to preserve it for the many. Just as our Forefathers did before us, we must take up the battle and not waver. Victory is our only option.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Cool project. Keep at it.
    I think owning a gun doesn't make you a killer, it makes you a smart American

George Carlin

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by rbthntr64
    What if you just added a short section to the bolt using threads? I am thinking about a .243 version. I am going to use the Galil 12 round mags. Any pointers?
    Do you mean turn some threads on the back of the bolt, and then make up an extension, also threaded and just screw the extension onto the bolt?

That is a pretty cool idea.

The biggest pointer I have is to start off with the cheepest kit you can find. Use that to work out all the details. And don't try and do it in a single day.

I don't have that many hours tied up in actual work yet, probably just a single long day. But since its an hour here and there I get lots of time to think about it and ask questions.

I have a mini lathe and can weld, so have been able to do everything myself so far.

Pete
    U.S. Army (Ret)
    NRA for Life

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Why are you moving the FCG It looks like if you make a magwell for a g3 mag put some kind of latch on it similiar to g3 and tack a new sheet metal trigger guard to the well it should work without those mods, I've been thinking about this one for a while but I won't know until my grade 3 yugo kit comes in on thursday from the ammunitionstore (checked UPS before I came here) but it looks like it will be about .516 of room to play with depending on where it sits when I open up the front

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.