Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: the Aloha 308 Yugo Hybrid

Feedback Score

Default the Aloha 308 Yugo Hybrid

First I need to thank everyone here for all of the ideas and inspiration.

I am going to be using a Yugo trunnion, bolt and carrier. Then a .308 barrel, FAL mags, FAL gas piston, FAL gas block and custom gas tube. I think I will end up removing the FAL sight bits from the gas block and using either an AK or AR front sight post out on the end of the barrel. Hinged receiver cover with a G3 rear sight.

Tonight I was able to turn down the donner FAL barrel. Barrel is pretty toasty so I am just using it for a proof of concept for the build. Later I will get a new heavy barrel from Brownels and then make up my own gas block.

Here is the barrel pressed into the trunnion. Front furniture in place and the mag in place. Gives a good idea of what the final product will look like.

The bolt and extractor have been dremelled.

I am using FAL mags because I believe they will be able to be used without any mod to the mags. Just narrow the AK mag release. This way they can be used for this and FALs.

Unfortunately with the way I work its going to be at least 4 months before I get to the point where I can test fire

Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images
    U.S. Army (Ret)
    NRA for Life

Feedback Score

OK, you have my attention. Are you gonna call it an AK-FAL or an FAL-AK? Please keep pics coming...

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by shackles
    OK, you have my attention. Are you gonna call it an AK-FAL or an FAL-AK? Please keep pics coming...
    I am not sure. The FAK-47 was my first build. Maybe this one will be the FAK-30?
    I will keep updateing this thread as the project moves along. But between two kids under 20mo old and work and blah blah blah its probably going to be a twice a month thing.

Here is the FAK-47
    Attached Images Attached Images
    U.S. Army (Ret)
    NRA for Life

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Hmmmm? I have a new 45ACP FAL barrel with no plans for using it. Starting to ponder a 45 AK/FAL/Thompson blend.
    " The world is a very dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who do nothing about them." - Albert Einstein, 1879-1955

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by aloharover
    Unfortunately with the way I work its going to be at least 4 months before I get to the point where I can test fire

Pete
    sounds like you went to the same Time Prioritization, Utilization & Project Management school as I did!
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

good to see some one is getting some work done on the .308. . You might want to check ebay for a barrel I have bought 2 Remington 700 barrels new take offs for under $30. have seen several stainless heavy fluted go for around $100. Seems a lot of guys buy new Remington 700 just for the action. My 308 plans are to use G3 mags a milled Yugo that is rewelded with milled replacement sides and a drop in trigger group that intsals from the bottom. 22" US remington 700 barrel the fAL gas block with a off set sleave to correct the slight miss alignment, a short gas piston, no sights at all will mill down the rear sight block and make it part of a scope mount. a push button saftey&saiga fore grip. I have all the parts now and since the temp is now above 30 deg I may get to it soon. I have to help build 6 Rommy long barreld pistols first for friends. Keep the Picks coming That FAL gas block looks great!

Feedback Score

Very cool project!!
    "The way of the warrior is death, this means choosing death whenever there is a choice between life and death. It means nothing more than this, it means to see things through, being resolved."---Yamamoto Tsunemoto's Hagakure

Feedback Score

I was just thinking about doing this today on the way to college. I have a 308 takeoff barrel and a couple brand new FAL mags. I might jump in and try this too if I can scrape together the cash after my current builds finnish up.
    Isa 50:7.
    For the Lord GOD will help me; therefore shall I not be confounded: therefore have I have my Face Set Like Flint, and I know that I shall not be ashamed.

Master Endmill Breaker Rhino_66's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

What kind of FAL mags are those?

Looking forward to seeing more pics!

The most damning evidence is the truth.

That which does not kill you, really really really hurts...

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino_66
    What kind of FAL mags are those?

Looking forward to seeing more pics!

I don't know. They are 20rd used steel mags that I got from...hmmm...I have been ordering too much stuff from too many different places lately.
    OK the FAl mags came from Centerfire. I think they were 4$ ea.
    I got the mag well cut out. Will post a photo tonight after I get home from work. Even though the trigger guard hasn't been completed yet I think you will be able to "see" how well the FAL will work.

Pete
    U.S. Army (Ret)
    NRA for Life

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.