Thread: AK Barreling

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Question AK Barreling

What is the prefered method of making the groves for the barrel pin, gas block pins and front sight pins?
    Can you just set the headspace, press the gas block and front sight on and drill through using the existing holes in each?
    Or will the bit walk too much causing the holes to be wallowed out?
    I am wanting to re-barrel a Yugo for .308 and build a couple really short barrel (about 7.5") Romy kits with the forend retainer in front of the front sight post.
    What is the most common method for shortening the gas piston?
    What method to determine the gas port size for 18" .308 and 7.5" 7.62X39?
    I was thinking of making gas port adjustable by installing a set screw in the gas block.
    I am just in the planning stage now, I won't be back from Iraq for about another 6 months.
    I have plenty parts kits sitting at home waiting for me.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by brethankes
    What is the prefered method of making the groves for the barrel pin, gas block pins and front sight pins?
    Can you just set the headspace, press the gas block and front sight on and drill through using the existing holes in each?
    Or will the bit walk too much causing the holes to be wallowed out?
    Drill one side halfway, flip it over and drill the other side. That should keep it from egging the hole.

I am wanting to re-barrel a Yugo for .308 and build a couple really short barrel (about 7.5") Romy kits with the forend retainer in front of the front sight post.
    What is the most common method for shortening the gas piston?
    Discarding the old piston and makeing a new one is the way to do it. YOu really don't "shorten" a piston, although you could if you were handy with a lathe and didn't mind the extra work. Making a new piston counts as a US part...
    What method to determine the gas port size for 18" .308 and 7.5" 7.62X39?
    Most people haven't reported problems with different gas port sizes. The AK design, unlike a FAL, is "overpowered" and basically sends WAY too much gas into the gas system, so a normal size port should be fine no matter the length. You could PROBABLY see a bit of difference if you used a smaller port size, meaning a more smoother action, but possibly at the expense of reliable cycling. No one has really messed around with it THAT much...
    The normal 7.62x39 size is that of 11/32" (#16 drill bit).
    I was thinking of making gas port adjustable by installing a set screw in the gas block.
    This would work for a Yugo since it has a gas shut-off. You would basically make it a variable-adjustment gas block instead of "on/off". Way back when, around '99 or so, someone actually theaded the block, and used gas jets from an auto carbuerator to vary the action. Personally, I would consider adjustment of the gas bleed like a FAL - more holes = more bleed. That would require some machine work to put on a FAL-style collar, but it could be done. A few crazy people around here have even used a FAL gas block!

HTH,
    - Jerry
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I think 11/32 maybe a little large for the gas port, just my .02, I have found #40 (aprox.10) to be about right for my 7" pistol

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie
    A few crazy people around here have even used a FAL gas block! HTH,
    - Jerry
    I'm just happy I never 'fessed up to the things that didn't work!!
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.