Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What barrel/mag to use for 9mm conversion

Feedback Score

Suomi drums may be a PITA to load, but all the war reports say they are extreamly reliable in use. Also those suomi barrles are very accurate by nature. I can see the makings of a very accurate 9mm AK pistol.

A sten kit yields a barrel which is easily sleeved, AND a mag well. I am thinking a sten conversion would be nifty.

Or maybe a hybrid using a suomi barrel and a sten magwell.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

a sunomi barrel appears to be 20 mm. a 19mm Chineese trunion would work with no sleave. with the sunomi drum mag wells avaiable I have been looking more and more into this. I was also thinking instead of a sleave one could split a sleave into two pieces put the two halves into a groove cut into the barrel then press it into the trunion this way you would not have to weld (a no no IMOA) a sleave on or some other way to attach it to a 23 mm trunion.

Feedback Score

I'm in the middle of my 9mm build with an uzi barrel. I just read in this thread that the uzi barrel's chamber is a little too shallow to fully enclose a round with an AK bolt, which I just discovered for myself as well. There is about a 1/16" gap between the bolt head and barrel with a round chambered. Can I use a normal straight reamer to lengthen the chamber enough to seat the round all the way? Not having to buy a chamber reamer would be nice. Can I ream it by hand or do I have to use a lathe? Here's a couple pics. Thanks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I lathed down my Suomi barrel to fit AK parts as part of my uber-pistol caliber build.

The Suomi may not be the *best* barrel if you plan to save your brass, due to the way the extractor notch is so deep. I believe such a deep extractor notch will cause bulged cases, which in a wartime environment may not be a problem for "normal" use, however this is an issue for me since I plan to keep my brass.

I am entertaining the idea of either welding up that notch, or adding a shim to the sleeve so the sidewall of the chamber is fully supported. That should keep buldged brass to a minimum.

Also, the feed ramp of the Suomi is partially in the barrel, so you'll have to align the barrel to ensure the feed ramp is stil usable, otherwise you'll have another part of the chamber that doesn't full support the cartridge. This one may be a nitpick, but I can't say for certain until I've had a chance to examine the brass.

Feedback Score

Does anyone have a 9mm reamer I can rent/borrow? Thanks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

try reamerrentals.com here:

6.5MM -

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Just an FYI, ak-builder now has flats pre-cut to accept the Suomi magwell.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by zoom6zoom View Post
    Just an FYI, ak-builder now has flats pre-cut to accept the Suomi magwell.
    Awesome, thanks for the lead. I had not noticed that he was making those now.

Pete
    U.S. Army (Ret)
    NRA for Life

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie View Post
    I lathed down my Suomi barrel to fit AK parts as part of my uber-pistol caliber build.

The Suomi may not be the *best* barrel if you plan to save your brass, due to the way the extractor notch is so deep. I believe such a deep extractor notch will cause bulged cases, which in a wartime environment may not be a problem for "normal" use, however this is an issue for me since I plan to keep my brass.

I am entertaining the idea of either welding up that notch, or adding a shim to the sleeve so the sidewall of the chamber is fully supported. That should keep buldged brass to a minimum.

Also, the feed ramp of the Suomi is partially in the barrel, so you'll have to align the barrel to ensure the feed ramp is stil usable, otherwise you'll have another part of the chamber that doesn't full support the cartridge. This one may be a nitpick, but I can't say for certain until I've had a chance to examine the brass.
    in blowback SMG's the headspace is not as critical as in rifles and pistol caliber weapons with some sort of locking mechanism, whether lugs or rollers. since the locking lugs wont work for a conversion anyway, as long as the bolt face is as close as possible to the breach face, it should not blow out. however if you were to further alter the short feed ramp on a suomi barrel, it would cause problems with the brass and give case failures. it is just deep enough the way it is to give proper case support. the exposed part of the case walls are usually thick enough to withstand the pressures of the pistol load. i would not worry about the extractor notch either. to get a good idea of the right headspace for a blowback AK, use reference from any home built SMG that works, including sten, suomi, and even the PA luty design. all of them have a gap between the bolt head and the breach face. if memory serves me correctly its usually no more than the thickness of the cardboard on a box of cereal. that is with the bolt all the way forward and the bolt head engaged around the rim of the case. by the time the brass is extracted from the chamber, the pressures will have dropped so much from forcing the bolt back that overpressure is not a danger any more. there is also a lot less chance of having premature ignition with a semi auto build since the firing pin has to be struck by the hammer after the bolt is closed.

what i have not ironed out, since my build is going to be based off of a suomi barrel and sten mags, is the proper angle of the magazine to help it chamber rounds much smoother. of course i expect to need some sort of feed ramp in front of the magazine that fills the gap between the breech and the magazine, but i want it to be as gradual an angle as possible, and a slight tilt of the magazines leading edge might help a bit.

any ideas?
    Last edited by soakandquench; 03-13-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

5 year old thread. but im sure the questions you ask will be answered.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.