Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Reaming ak barrel to 308

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bubbamauser
    I have the reamer already so its cheaper this way for me I don't have a lathe. It looks like its long enough that it will fit before the diameter changes so it seems okay, its a yugo so the bore isn't chromed.
    If you don't have a lathe, I am not sure you can cut good chamber with the pilot you have. Your pilot is probably .2995 or .3000 which is little small for .302 - .303 lands diameter of .311 grove diameter. If your reamer has removable pilot, you should get a little bit bigger one (.302, .303, .304) depending on the wear on the lands. Otherwise when you hand cut the chamber, you won't have concentric chamber. Better way may be, just get .308 barrel from ebay and send it to panacebeachbum.

Good luck.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Walker
    You can reduce the chamber pressure by reaming out the rifling ahead of the cartridge about 1/4 inch.

I have been told this would reduce accuracy, but I don't see how it would.
    It may or it may not. The benchrest crowd would like to seat their bullets closest to the lands to minimize the bullet jump. I don't know the full theory behind it but this is the norm practiced by benchrest crowd. Less the jump the better (but may contribute to higher chamber pressure)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

A WORD OF WARNING!!

Do not use Israeli 7.62 NATO "machinegun" ammo in your conversation. It is loaded to much higher pressures than regular 7.62 NATO ammo.

I gave some of mine to a friend for use in his Savage lever action .308. One shot and his rifle's action was froze in place. He had to really work on the rifle to get the action to eject the empty.

So I gave him some U.S. match 7.62 NATO rounds and they worked fine.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Walker
    A WORD OF WARNING!!

Do not use Israeli 7.62 NATO "machinegun" ammo in your conversation. It is loaded to much higher pressures than regular 7.62 NATO ammo.

I gave some of mine to a friend for use in his Savage lever action .308. One shot and his rifle's action was froze in place. He had to really work on the rifle to get the action to eject the empty.

So I gave him some U.S. match 7.62 NATO rounds and they worked fine.
    I have never seen the Izzy 7.62 identified as MG ammo. I will say I personally refrain from shooting any Izzy ammo it is generally all hot. That has been my experience with it since the 1980s. Izzy 5.56 will double cycle most firearms. The other consideration is most Izzy ammo is let loose as surplus for good reason, it is a range pick up or of dubious quality. Buy Portugese, South African or Austrian Hirtenbirger...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.