Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reaming ak barrel to 308

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Talking Reaming ak barrel to 308

I know the bore is .311 but I know some milsurp bolt guns shoot more accurately with the smaller bullets before i turn down the rem 700 take off I have, could I just use the original for a test rifle (unless its accurate then it will stay as is) is the barrel diameter large enough for the pressure(I'm convinced the yugo bolt and milled kit trunnion will work)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I measured the diameter of the barrel on a yugoslavian 8mm mauser and that of the current crop of M70's and they are exactly the same... so my guess would be that it is plenty thick enough.
    ...I'm not tense! Just terribly, terribly alert.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

reaming a unchromed barrel would work out ok. you could also reload with .310-.311 bullets if it is not accurate with 308 bullets. dont forget that alot of the commercial US ammo used .308 bullets in 7.62x39 for quite a while. for me a barrel for a REM 700 in 308 is cheaper than a set of reamers. some of those yugos with worn muzzels would make a great 308 pistol with the barrel shortened and reamed to 308.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

With the area that is chambered being larger diameter than the rest of the barrel. I would be concerned that with the longer .308 chamber you would be into that thinner section. Try holding a 7.62x39 cartridge on the outside of the barrel. Then do the same with a .308 cartridge, to see if there is enough material around it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I have the reamer already so its cheaper this way for me I don't have a lathe. It looks like its long enough that it will fit before the diameter changes so it seems okay, its a yugo so the bore isn't chromed.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Been looking at this and the chamber would get into the narrowed area. Not a good idea in my book. 52,000 psi is a force to be reconed with if it gets loose.
    Freedom is not free. Some will perish to preserve it for the many. Just as our Forefathers did before us, we must take up the battle and not waver. Victory is our only option.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

does the 308 saiga barrel have a different profile at the breach?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Yes it is like an RPK. The chamber area is .888 through the RSB.
    Freedom is not free. Some will perish to preserve it for the many. Just as our Forefathers did before us, we must take up the battle and not waver. Victory is our only option.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

You can reduce the chamber pressure by reaming out the rifling ahead of the cartridge about 1/4 inch.

I have been told this would reduce accuracy, but I don't see how it would.

Feedback Score

The extra bit of freebore can allow the bullet to not line up perfectly in the barrel.
    when it contacts the rifling. A lot of reloaders will seat the bullet out enough to just touch the rifling. My particular rifle tends to group a little better if I seat them about .010 from the rifling. Having 1/4 inch of freebore will reduce pressure. Some reloading manuals have good write ups about pressure and accuracy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.