Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: RBTHNTR64's .243 AK build

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

THIS INFO NEEDS TO GET PUT IN THE CHAMBER PRESSURES THREAD.

Feedback Score

I don't normally load to max. The "service rifle" loads in the new Hornady manual are right around my normal loads. I got to look through a copy of the book but I haven't bought a copy yet. I think that is about the only info I'll use from it. The nice thing is they are mild max loads when using commercial brass and about max loads when using military brass. The Accurate Arms data is about the only data I've found using military capacity cases. AA's max loads are on the warm side and I don't go that hot but the info is good.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    GOOD INFO i WILL NEED TO DIGEST IT. I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP MY LOADS SOME WERE IN THE 50,000 PSI RANGE OR SLIGHTLY UNDER. IF THE LYMAN CHARTS ABOVE ARE CORRECT A MEDUM LOAD WILL STILL GET A 165 GR BULLET GOING FASTER THAN A STANDARD 7.62X39 123 gr. AND THAT IS A HUGE IMPROVEMENT. AROUND 47 GR OF IMR 4350 WOULD LIKELY BE CLOSE TO WHAT i WANT WITH A 165 BULLET. EVEN THE STARTING LOADS AT 38,600 PSI ARE BETTER THAN THE AK LOAD. AND THAT S PUSHING A BULLET WEIGHING 30 GRAINS MORE. A 260 REMINGTON WIOTH STARTING LOADS WOULD KICK THE CRAP OUT OF THE 6.5 GRENDAL AS WELL.
    You might not want to use IMR-4350. That's what the commercial 308 ammo does is use slow powders to keep down pressure and get velocity but the slow powders are hard on gas operated rifles. the US military M118LR uses a hot load of RL-15 which is restricted to auto rifles with it's special chamber and bolt actions. IMR-4350 is difficult to measure also as it's very large. I found both RL-15 and Varget borderline slow for the M-14. the really work the gas system. I use mostly IMR-4895 with 168 grain bullets and H-335 with a 147 - 150 grain bullet for my plinking load.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Generally speaking, the hotter the powder, the faster the throat erosion. The reloading stuff I've read suggests visibly noticeable erosion after a few thousand rounds using "hot" powder.

Sorry to contribute to the hijack - we need a new thread!
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie View Post
    Generally speaking, the hotter the powder, the faster the throat erosion. The reloading stuff I've read suggests visibly noticeable erosion after a few thousand rounds using "hot" powder.

Sorry to contribute to the hijack - we need a new thread!
    There is a difference "hot" powder and "fast" powder. Generally most extruded powder "burns" at hotter or at a higher temp than most ball powders. A hotter burning powder can cause higher throat erosion but modern barrel steel don't have too much trouble with it. Old Enfield bolt actions had this problem. Ball powders usually burn too "cold" to light tracer bullets. The military has special high temp ball powder just for tracers and normal extruded powder is usually alright to light tracers. I find AA-2495 leaves more jacket material in the bore. I'm thinking it maybe it's so hot, it's melting the copper jackets. I would choose the powder that works for you. I have noticed some ball powders don't seem to heat up the barrel as quickly as extruded powders. A "hot load" is high pressure, a "hot powder" burns at high temp.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.