Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: RBTHNTR64's .243 AK build

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Talking RBTHNTR64's .243 AK build

Guys, I thought I would start a thread since Aloharovers .308 conversion deserves a thread of it own and I kind of injected my build into his thread.
    SORRY ABOUT THAT ROVER! So over the next couple of days I will be moving my posts form there to here.
    Freedom is not free. Some will perish to preserve it for the many. Just as our Forefathers did before us, we must take up the battle and not waver. Victory is our only option.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

My Update;
    Found a couple of issues today. Looks like the barrel will need RPK accessories if I follow the VEPR II as a guide. THe chamber area extends farther than the M70. Here is a pic of my bolt opened up for the .243 shell, and a Bulgy RPK trunion loaned to me by stickerman, opened up to accept the Galil mag. I also moded the bolt to have a spring loaded firing pin.
    Freedom is not free. Some will perish to preserve it for the many. Just as our Forefathers did before us, we must take up the battle and not waver. Victory is our only option.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

For those who are interested, I sold off a few parts kits and bought a VEPR .308 rifle to have for reference for my .243 build and found som more intersting info on the bolt carrier issue. It seems that the carrier for the M70 has the same heigth dimension as the VEPR. So looks like the carrier issue is a no brainer.
    It will work without modification. See the links for photos.
    http://www.gunco.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/7295
    http://www.gunco.net/gallery/data/500/VEPRCarrier.jpg
    http://www.gunco.net/gallery/data/500/carcomp.jpg

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Talking

Got back to it today with a little help from the Master at Ak-Builder. We cut the magwell for the Galil .308 12 rd mag. A little work to both the trunion and the mag lip was required to make it match up. Next step will be the rails. I may have e-machine shop make a couple of sets, and Curtis is going to draw up a set of plans like his Yugo set, describing this build. He may also offer a set of rails for the scratch builders. This will be a future project and is way down on the priority list right now. Here are a couple of pics for you. Enjoy.
    Dave
    Last edited by rbthntr64; 05-18-2006 at 12:30 PM.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

In this build I will be using the Red Star Arms SAR-3 Trigger group. It is made just like the FCG in my VEPR .308 rifle.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

is that bolt/carrier assembly long enough so that when it in battery the rear of the bolt extends some distance behind the mag?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

The galil mag has about the same dimensions as the molot VEPR II mags. The bolt In the VEPR is exactly the same dimensions as my Tantal bolt and carrier. The only difference is a spring loaded firing pin and a longer gas piston. I only went with the Yugo kit because that is what I started with. It seems my build will end up mostly Bulgarian sans the required US parts. The only yugo part will be the bolt and carrier. The reciever length on the VEPR is the same as the M70 reciever length. The difference in the reciever is obviously the ejector is back from the x39 reciever.
    I haven't mic'ed the recoil spring yet to see if it is lighter.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.