Gunco Forums banner

7.62x25 bbl pics

13K views 49 replies 23 participants last post by  Bullpup 
#1 ·
7.62x25 bbl for ak I turned and chambered for one of the members here.

See less See more
#27 ·
Panaceabeachbum- This is a great barrel! I have already got the sight base and gasblock on... I will try to get some pictures in the next week. I am waiting on a receiver and I have a few parts to make so my build is still weeks away. Thanks for the help and advice!!

#28 ·
panaceabeachbum -

If you'd like your reamer investment to keep paying for itself, let me know. That is, if it's worthwhile on your part. I am interested.

I have two Chinese barrels in 7.62x39 that could use re-chambering to 7.62x25 and I believe they could still retain the 16" for carbine use. I'd cut my own extractor recess to mate with a '74 bolt, as straight blowback

Steve in El Paso

#30 ·
Would one of you mind posting some pics of the PPSH mag adapter? I would like to know how to convert one to use in the AK mag well. Plus see how the feed lips need to be made. Thanks.

#32 · (Edited)
Anyone building one of these should take a look at this page:

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Gorge/4653/bad.htm

It seems that there is some bad ammo out there. After looking at several places for 7.62x25 with no luck I went to an out of the way place I know and he had some. So I picked up some and on the way home remembered reading something about the pink paper wrap. Got home, checked it, and the headstamp is 53 not 52, so it should be ok.

#36 ·
Do you have a chamber reamer for x25? I would prefer to go with the .30-30 barrel so I wont have to deal with any kid of barrel extension like I will if I use the ppsh one.

I remember there being talk of the x25 being the same as the .30 mauser, did anyone find out if this was true? .30 Mauser reamers are easy to find and I wouldnt mind renting one if it'll work.

#37 ·
afroman006, go to http://ammoguide.com/ and use the pull-down menu to select .30 Mauser and 7.62x25 rounds, cartridge diagrams will be displayed.

I'd have done it for you, but I have @#$ %^&* Java problems again. This is with BOTH IE and Firefox on a fresh Java install, enabled in BOTH browsers. Yet, I can't display Java. Last time this happened I had to uninstall & reinstall both browsers. Thanks so much Bill Gates, I love doing grunt work because you don't want to support Java since Sun won the lawsuit.

#38 ·
It wont let me save the cartridge spec charts but here's the links to each of them

.30 mauser
http://ammoguide.com/?catid=90

x25
http://ammoguide.com/?catid=216

It appears that they are similar, but not exactly the same. Also, the mauser uses a .311 bullet but the x25 uses a .308 bullet. Everything I have read says that the x25 is a .311 bullet. Anyone know for sure or have some loose ammo laying around they can measure? If the x25 does indeed use a .308 bullet that would make life alot easier as far as finding a barrel blank. But I am still out of luck as far as a chamber reamer goes.

#39 ·
My reloading book shows the 30 Mauser is a .309 and the x25 is .308, there is also a note in the x25 section that read "These are the same as 30 Mauser loads".

The mic (a cheap one) shows my Bulgarian x25 is .307 & .308, measured four of them.

#40 ·
I know that .30 Mauser and 7.62 Tok are similar enough that ammo is interchangeable. Maybe chamber for .30 Mauser and don't worry about the small difference? Or just load ".30 Mauser" cartridges to 7.62 Tok levels?

#42 ·
Yeah Java sucks doesn't it? It is so outdated compared to new stuff, but it will take people time to learn the new stuff so we're stuck

The good thing is that you can find cartridge diagrams from many different sources without needing Java ;)

My Hornady manual implies the two calibers are interchangeable. It has two different listings for the cartridges, but it should be noted that the 30 Mauser listing states that Hornady produced a run of 30 Mauser ammo "at the request of Graf & Sons, and Hornady will be supporting this run with [components and data]". In other words, the current 30 Mauser ammo and data is their baby. ;)

A few measurements:

30 Mauser / 7.62x25
----------------------------
COL
.990 / .984

Base diameter
.393 / .392

Length to shoulder
.759 / .772

Length to neck
.831 / .828

Neck Diameter
.333 / .334

Length to shoulder will be the big one. It looks as if 7.62x25 chambers can load 30 Mauser cartridges, but .30 Mauser chambers can not load 7.62x25 cartridges. Another thought - if a military-grade chamber is used, you can be fairly certain it is "loose" to ensure functionality at the expense of sacrificing grouping/accuracy. Therefore, I would attempt to find out if they can be interchanged by hand-fitting into the barrel in question.

The 7.62x25 is a little hotter, and holds a few grains more than .30 Mauser. Thus, some lighter-weight .30 Mauser actions may be stressed by shooting 7.62x25.

Anther thing of note is that the .30 Mauser bullets are shown to be only 86 grains, and the 7.62x25 is shown to only be 90 grains. I thought there was a 115 grain as well, but I don't see it in this manual.

Food for thought.

#43 ·
There are warnings on Luger and CZ52 sites to avoid shooting 7.62 Tok in the broomhandle Lugers due to 7.62x25 being too "hot" to handle, so it would appear that at least the Mausers can chamber 7.62x25. We're talking 12 thousandths and military spec chambers.

You can load 7.62x25 brass using 30 Mauser sizing dies. You could chamber for 30 Mauser and simply load at 7.62 Tok powder measures.

The "standard" 7.62x25 Combloc bullet is 83-86 grains, just like the 30 Mauser it was patterned after.

Makarov.com has a number of loads for different bullet weights, from .22 cal 46 grain sabots to 110 grain. I know of at least one handloader who has loaded 7.62x39 123 grain pills. Not very efficient with the base well below the neck. But it goes bang. http://www.makarov.com/tokloaddata.html

And I've seen quite a variance in recommended case length. Starline (the brass case people) say:
Starline said:
7.62x25 vs 30 Mauser - These cases are very similar, except for the difference in length. The 7.62x25 is shorter than the 30 Mauser, due to higher operating pressures. If the 30 Mauser cases are fired at hotter 7.62x25 loads in the CZ-52, it will tear the neck off some cases.

* 30 Mauser O.A.L. = .980 to .985
* 7.62x25 O.A.L. = .959 to .962
http://www.starlinebrass.com/

So go figure.

#47 ·
I don't know of anyone in particular who will just up and do this converison for you. A lot of people have done it, either of their own initiative or at least with the help of a friend who has more tools/experience. I can point to two people on other boards:

restoreit1 on "the Ak forum"
restoreit1@comcast.net

and

gundoctor who is a mod at Weaponeer.net

restoreit1 can assemble your barrel, including installation of front sight, gas block, handguard retainer, rear sight block, and headspace to your trunion. This is approx 150$ depending on what you want. he said that headspacing 7.62x25mm was an option provided enought lead time to acquire headspace guages.

Gundoctor did a run of 7.62x25mm barrels made from surplus Springfield 1903A rifles which were formerly drill rifles. They came out very nice and were avaliable to fit 22mm and 23mm ak trunions. There is annother run of barrels being considered now. possibly you could coax him into annother run, or make up some terms for a doing a one off.

#50 · (Edited)
I purchased one of these, it's a nice quality barrel, I bought one turned to fit a 22mm trunion. If there is interest maybe we can get gundoctor to do annother run of these.

*PM'ed gun doctor, he is in the middle of a huge order for cetme barrels right now, so it may be a while till the next group buy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.