Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: 7.62x25 bbl pics

Feedback Score

afroman
    use ctrl, alt. print screen then go to photoshop and use ctrl V and it will pop up.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Yeah Java sucks doesn't it? It is so outdated compared to new stuff, but it will take people time to learn the new stuff so we're stuck

The good thing is that you can find cartridge diagrams from many different sources without needing Java

My Hornady manual implies the two calibers are interchangeable. It has two different listings for the cartridges, but it should be noted that the 30 Mauser listing states that Hornady produced a run of 30 Mauser ammo "at the request of Graf & Sons, and Hornady will be supporting this run with [components and data]". In other words, the current 30 Mauser ammo and data is their baby.

A few measurements:

30 Mauser / 7.62x25
    ----------------------------
    COL
    .990 / .984

Base diameter
    .393 / .392

Length to shoulder
    .759 / .772

Length to neck
    .831 / .828

Neck Diameter
    .333 / .334

Length to shoulder will be the big one. It looks as if 7.62x25 chambers can load 30 Mauser cartridges, but .30 Mauser chambers can not load 7.62x25 cartridges. Another thought - if a military-grade chamber is used, you can be fairly certain it is "loose" to ensure functionality at the expense of sacrificing grouping/accuracy. Therefore, I would attempt to find out if they can be interchanged by hand-fitting into the barrel in question.

The 7.62x25 is a little hotter, and holds a few grains more than .30 Mauser. Thus, some lighter-weight .30 Mauser actions may be stressed by shooting 7.62x25.

Anther thing of note is that the .30 Mauser bullets are shown to be only 86 grains, and the 7.62x25 is shown to only be 90 grains. I thought there was a 115 grain as well, but I don't see it in this manual.

Food for thought.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

There are warnings on Luger and CZ52 sites to avoid shooting 7.62 Tok in the broomhandle Lugers due to 7.62x25 being too "hot" to handle, so it would appear that at least the Mausers can chamber 7.62x25. We're talking 12 thousandths and military spec chambers.

You can load 7.62x25 brass using 30 Mauser sizing dies. You could chamber for 30 Mauser and simply load at 7.62 Tok powder measures.

The "standard" 7.62x25 Combloc bullet is 83-86 grains, just like the 30 Mauser it was patterned after.

Makarov.com has a number of loads for different bullet weights, from .22 cal 46 grain sabots to 110 grain. I know of at least one handloader who has loaded 7.62x39 123 grain pills. Not very efficient with the base well below the neck. But it goes bang. http://www.makarov.com/tokloaddata.html

And I've seen quite a variance in recommended case length. Starline (the brass case people) say:
    Quote Originally Posted by Starline
    7.62x25 vs 30 Mauser - These cases are very similar, except for the difference in length. The 7.62x25 is shorter than the 30 Mauser, due to higher operating pressures. If the 30 Mauser cases are fired at hotter 7.62x25 loads in the CZ-52, it will tear the neck off some cases.

* 30 Mauser O.A.L. = .980 to .985
    * 7.62x25 O.A.L. = .959 to .962
    http://www.starlinebrass.com/

So go figure.

Feedback Score

I dont reload so I'll be shooitng surplus ammo. Has anyone actually used a mauser reamer in a x25 build yet? I'm not going for crazy accuracy but I do want it to be respectable.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

acmech is, or at least plans to: 7.62x25 barrel from a 1919 barrel

Gunco Member easychair commando's Avatar
    Feedback Score

I'm new to this site. Joined because of info about building a 7.62x25 ak. I would like to build one as a gas operated rifle. I noticed some mention of using a 30-30 barrel as a doner. These will work? who on this board does the work, for a fair fee?

Feedback Score

I don't know of anyone in particular who will just up and do this converison for you. A lot of people have done it, either of their own initiative or at least with the help of a friend who has more tools/experience. I can point to two people on other boards:

restoreit1 on "the Ak forum"
    restoreit1@comcast.net

and

gundoctor who is a mod at Weaponeer.net

restoreit1 can assemble your barrel, including installation of front sight, gas block, handguard retainer, rear sight block, and headspace to your trunion. This is approx 150$ depending on what you want. he said that headspacing 7.62x25mm was an option provided enought lead time to acquire headspace guages.

Gundoctor did a run of 7.62x25mm barrels made from surplus Springfield 1903A rifles which were formerly drill rifles. They came out very nice and were avaliable to fit 22mm and 23mm ak trunions. There is annother run of barrels being considered now. possibly you could coax him into annother run, or make up some terms for a doing a one off.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

restoreit is also a member here

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Feedback Score

I purchased one of these, it's a nice quality barrel, I bought one turned to fit a 22mm trunion. If there is interest maybe we can get gundoctor to do annother run of these.

*PM'ed gun doctor, he is in the middle of a huge order for cetme barrels right now, so it may be a while till the next group buy.
    Last edited by Bullpup; 09-03-2008 at 02:03 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.