Thread: MY 22 PPC plans and Ideas.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Default MY 22 PPC plans and Ideas.

after getting my 223 varmit build done. I am now looking at the PPC line of ammo. 6mm .22 .20 &.17 PPC rounds are made from 220 russian. the 220 Russian is derived from the 7.62 x 39 Russian by necking it down. The 6mm PPC is considerd the most accurate in the world at 200 yards in bench rest.Tthere will be some pro,s and cons to this build the pro,s are 1 the bolt can be used as is from the AK 47 so I will not need to spend $70 for a 223 bolt. 2 the mag should work as well. 3 the rest of the kit with the exception of the barrel and possable the bullet guide should work as well.
    The cons 1. the cost of ammo will be very high must be reloaded 2. will require A custom barrel.
    I found a set of 22 PPC rcbs dies at a local sporting good store missing the directions for $10.00! a local gun smith has a reamer and will ream a chamber for $55 or I can buy my own reamer for aroud $100. If I decide to build several guns I will buy the reamer. Lupa sells 220 russian brass but it is not cheap. I am looking at necking down and reforming 7.62x39 brass for varmits and using the good stuff for bench work. I am not positive the 7.62 x 39 can be used I am just getting into relading I have read that the 6mm PPC can be done for sure. this ammo will not be as accurate as the lupa based brass as it uses a larger primer hole is not as concentic and all of that. I have heard that fire forming is the norm for good accuracy how ever good groups are seen while fire forming. I suspect that for it cycle reliably It will need a some what loose chamber and a no neck turned throat. I woud apreciate any input from the reloaders out there before starting this build. I plan on using a comercial take off barrel and rechambering it first. this will again be a heavy barrel varmit set up scope only build taking what I learned from the 223 build.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

how were you planning on moounting your scope?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

just like my 223 varmit AK but even out of heaver stuff http://www.gunco.net/gallery/showpho...61/ppuser/5060
    this does well under 1" at 100. want well under 1/2". trunion sight block was milled from 1.5"x1.5 solid steel and pressed and pinned to barrel. with a hand made solid steel weaver style rail bolted to it with 10 -32 allen heads. the scope is a 8x32 x44 barrel is about .950 were the sight block goes through it. note that the saiga fore grip was trimmed forward about 2.5" the Rsb is flush with the reciver sides

Feedback Score

You can find a shot out Benchrest barrel (only shoots 3/8 or so now @ 100) rather easy .The barrel will be probably be short but 1.250 in diameter with a taper to about .8. Look for a club near you or try www.benchrest.com . Old BR barrels are a great source of 416 with a pilot hole drilled -makes great dies and other parts also.
    Clymer reamers website has chamber reamer specs :http://clymertool.com/cgi-bin/reamer.cgi?
    I have .220 Lapua brass and can measure other cases if needed. You will have to handload but this is not a problem. Ar-15's have been chambered in PPC cases and this will give you an idea of chamber diamensions that will work for this project.
    Glenn

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I bought a set of dies recently. have been watching for a barrel I may juts get a reamer and rechamber a cheap take off to get started ( I have way to many irons in the fire). Have you ever necked down 7.62x39 in to 22 or 6mm PPC? It would be nice to be able to load cheaper varmit ammo, a thousand rounds of lupa gets pricy for shooting praire dogs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

1biggun, maybe you know about this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=151589

I have cut and necked down some Lake City .223 to 7.62x25. I was told to run it in the press, back out, give it a 1/3 turn, run it back in, and repeat. It formed pretty easy on the first press. I was just trying it to see if it worked.

Feedback Score

223 is awesome because you can get plenty of Mil-Surp ammo
    Reman "Match Grade" ammo is pretty accurate, and decent money...
    Brass is available, cheap, and in you can find it new or used. -- like $30.00/1,000 rounds.

PPC is opposite -- factory ammo is not available.... part of why bench rest guys
    like it so much. NO factory guns to sully the reputation or ruin the specs.

Brass is typically hand made from Lapua 220 russian $$$$$$$$$$
    Gotta fab your own brass -- Think 20-30 hours of work on 50 shells.
    The AK's gas system will sling it into the bushes, ding up necks and rims and make
    you cry.

Of course, it will be super accurate..... probably as accurate as your Savage 223 barrel AK..... and a wonderful challenge.

Best regards

John

Feedback Score

Lapua brass in a no turn neck would be the best idea in this project.You can form other cases with BR type case forming dies that allow you to change length and necks-imagine a series of buttons with a tapered funnel that fit in a holder.I will look for a picture of these-you could make this on a small lathe with the concept in mind. You can use a Gibbs cartridge design tool to form 22 PPC cases with your dies and water-simple to make with a 7/8 x 14 nut -stud and a few set screws . If it is possible I could send you some new Lapua .220 brass and find some formed 22 PPC cases to make function dummies. What chamber pressure and port pressure do you need to make this work well ? I have some ideas for loads.
    Sure a .223 would be easy,accurate and boring- you will have to think on this concept . Sako 22 PPC USA dimension and a high quality barrel would work well.
    Factory ammunition was available from Sako -the USA brass weighs more and needs to be downloaded to keep pressure reasonable. I shot this brass in a Sako single shot rifle into under .21 for 5 @ 100 yds.
    Glenn

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Gunter thanks for the link. I need to find out exactly what dies I have they were from rcbs but not sure if they are the USA dimension or not I need to call them with a number. I have been told that since the 220 russian was derived from the 7.62x39 that 7.62x39 can be formed into 22 ppc and 6mm ppc although the primer hole will be bigger and the quality of the brass would be not as good this would make good enough varmit ammo and the lupa stuff would be for target only. I am just getting into reloading now (bought the press and case cutter any way). I plan on reloading for the 223 and doing some 7.62x39 hunting loads as well. I think the inital loading would be very time consuming but once all the case forming is done it would be a simmple matter of loading just like any other round for varmit work any how. rest assured this will have a shell catcher on it I have lots of other stuff for blasting away. a no turn neck chamber was the plan although I did buy a outside cutter for may case length cutter. I am pretty sure the pressure and gas feed issues would be no problem as the 223 works well with the same pressures. I thought it would be a fun gun to build in 22 ppc or 6mm ppc , and the bolt would work as is letting me spend the money on a better barrel. I dont know how much better a 22 ppc would do out of a AK action over a 223. the savage bolt action that uses the same barrel as mine is noticabley more accurate than my 223 varmit build so the action may be the limiting factor already. A 20 tatical (20-223) would be a lot easier to load and cheaper for the brass and is another option I was exploring

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.