Gunco Forums banner

8mm on a romy kit?

4K views 38 replies 11 participants last post by  Sprat 
#1 ·
what is everyones opinion on building one of these

#27 ·
good info on the bolt head working on the 303. I was only comparing measurments and did not have the componets in my hand to play with. I am ordering a 308 crimp for my dies. I built a pistol with a .308 bore barrel in 7.62x39 (15" barrel) that I plan on loading 308 dia 150 grain bullets for. also picked up a neat cannelure cutter so I can adjust the bullet depth were I want it and crimp it in good. may hurt accuracy time will tell.

#28 ·
This is on a different thread, but the .303 and Russian 7.62 bullets are the same diameter, and therefore if you had a ROMAK-3 / PSL kit, you could in theory rechamber the 7.62x54r barrel for .303. Assuming pressures would be the same, the parts could probably work as well. Can't imagine they would be drastically different.

Not to hijack this thread. The .303 vs. .308 vs. .311 discussion in on my thread started about Bren barrels.

HTH

#29 ·
Yes I agree the barrels run a gambit in bore diameter, I didn't see your thread on bren barrels, and I would like too.

I saw the ad for brens s/a in7.62x54r and figured it was possible but the 303 case base above the rim is .454 vs 54r .483 so the chamber will be .29 too large and to set the barrel back it would have to loose the of end of the chamber and then recut/ream the chamber. and adjust the gas tube and handguard.
I thinks its easier to fit a surplus 303 barrel.

7.7 mm jap mic;s out to.469 but this conversation requires a 308 bolt and larger mag 8mm or 30'06

or am I missing something, are you saying that all thats needed is to ream the chamber?

Sprat

#32 ·
sounds right to me, im planning on only extending my bolt not my carrier. thread an exstension on to the bolt so i can use a captured spring return firing pin. a mauser barrel, and not sure what kind of gas block. id like to use a fal but they are getting scarce and i dont have one to spare so looks like a romi.

now to find the time to finish my romi builds and start on caliber conversions, ive been collecting parts for, .223, .308, 8mm, and 44mag

good luck!!!

#33 ·
bert01 said:
sounds right to me, im planning on only extending my bolt not my carrier. thread an exstension on to the bolt so i can use a captured spring return firing pin. a mauser barrel, and not sure what kind of gas block. id like to use a fal but they are getting scarce and i dont have one to spare so looks like a romi.

now to find the time to finish my romi builds and start on caliber conversions, ive been collecting parts for, .223, .308, 8mm, and 44mag

good luck!!!
I was only considering extending the carrier as well so that I could use the original recoil spring assembly. With the longer receiver length, I'll need to add carrier to keep the spring tension similar. There should be enough pressure from the 8mm to overcome the added carrier/bolt weight.

#38 ·
bluejack

glad to hear you almost got that 8mm unit working

yes as discussed last year you need the longer coldsteel blank and readjust the templete to reflect the larger mag
when test firing use a commerical 8mm or reloads. not surplus
I would even donate a few reloads just to see if your build works

I will follow your progress with great interest

sprat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.