Thread: 6.5x39 concept

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Default 6.5x39 concept

after looking into the 6.5 grendal and discovering that the only commercial reamer made for it was designed for a bolt action and considerd to tight for a auto, and no one will cut a reamer like the AR,S are using. I started thinking about just necking down 7.62x39 brass to 6.5mm and leaving every thing else the same so it would work in a standard AK mag. (custom reamer still recuired but can have made) I am told that the 6mm ppc and 6.5 ppc will not as the case has been straightend out and jams in the curved mags. a necked down 7.62 round would still give good performance just not as good as the grendal. might possably be able to neck up a 22 russian although the brass is $$$.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

what about some of the 6.5mm wildcat rounds for the contender pistol, the ak should handle the same pressures and some of the more established one alredy have reamers availible

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I would not be suprised if there is already a 6.5x39 wild cat aready out there as well as some of the benchrest rounds. the 6mm & 6.5 ppc are based on the 220 russian wich came from the 7.62x39. I have been reading up on making my own reamers and other wildcating practices.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

You're talking about re-inventing the 6.5 Grendel, as that is exactly the combo - 6.5mm bullets + 7.62x39 brass.

I think what you're REALLY asking is will there be a problem with the "match-grade" reamer in a barrel?

Going to have to think this one through...
    What is "too tight" for a semi action? What does that really mean?

Someone out there is going to have to help me out, but I think a "match grade", being a tighter fit, would not be a bad thing in an SA rifle. I think the problem would be the limitations this would impose on the bullet seating. IOW, it needs to use "Match Grade" ammo.

I don't think it would affect cycling, but it would affect feeding - for example, I've read that using those 70gr "match" bullets on a "standard throat" AR will cause feed problems, and you need to have that deeper throat. But we are talking how close of a tolerance here?

Something doesn't sound right here. Alexander Arms, the developer of this round, puts this into an AR assembly. Are you saying that there are two different reamer designs out there... the design that AA uses, and the design you can buy?

Did Pupwag ever finish his? I still don't even have my reloading gear so this is back burner for me, but I still would like to have one.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Another thought, you can fire-form brass too. Never have, sounds like a PITA, but it is another way to skin the proverbial cat.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

You're talking about re-inventing the 6.5 Grendel, as that is exactly the combo - 6.5mm bullets + 7.62x39 brass.
    HC the grendal is based on the 6mm PPC IT has the neck moved forward from the original 6mm PPC for more powder capicity. The PPC rounds have a straighter case than the 220 russian that they are resized from. The 220 russian is based on the 7.62x39 round necked down. the straighter case susposedly causes the rounds to jam up in the curved AK mag. the mag is curved because when the AK round is stacked up it forms a arc. also grendal brass is very expensive.

what I am proposing is just necking down the ak round as is leaving the case taper the same and the the start of the neck in the same place just necking it down to 6.5. no mag mods nessacry basicaly just a barrel change. one could call it a 6.5 russain I suspose. 220 russan brass is very pricy as well around 80 cents each. the reasen it is used is the smaller flash hole in the primer pocket helps make percison burn. I want to use AK brass lots cheaper and more avaliable

Something doesn't sound right here. Alexander Arms, the developer of this round, puts this into an AR assembly. Are you saying that there are two different reamer designs out there... the design that AA uses, and the design you can buy?
    YES from what I have read on the grendal sites the Alexander Arms reamer design is propitary the bullet lead area is susposed to be special also. from what I have read the one company that makes a reamer for sale that cuts a chamber that the 6.5 grendal fires in is slightly tighter than what the alxander arms AR uses.
    bolt actons can be made tighter because the bolt is allowing one to run tighter clearances as it is cranked in place by hand and any obstructoin like dust and sand will be felt by the shooter the tighter the tolerances the better it shoot. The AR need to be able to work with some amount of debri in it to be reliable and the round must be chamberd by a spring loaded carrier so it is has a little more clearance. I read this a few month,s back I will try to find the sight and post it.
    the 223 I built with the target barrel seems to have a lot tighter chamber than the saiga I have shot. any dirt /dust in it and it will not chamber and some times is hard to extract a unfired round. I set it on the tight side on the head space as well.

Another thought, you can fire-form brass too. Never have, sounds like a PITA, but it is another way to skin the proverbial cat.
    fire forming brass is how all the bench rest shooters do it they actualy take a for example a 6mm PPC that has been run through a sizing die so it is the same as factory loaded ammo. and shoot it some times with out a bullet to expand the case to form to there specific champer perfectly then reload it just sizing the neck only they even put an index mark on the case head to align with a mark on the barrel so it can be rechamberd in the same orentation
    The trouble with fire forming for a auto loader is that the brass is now expanded more than origanal and it now fits very tight and takes more pressure from the bolt to force it into the chamber. full lenghth resizing is usualy required for auto loader reloading. I am loading up some of the fired in that gun brass for my varmit AK with neck sizing only for hand feed target shooting soon.
    for those who are not aware of the 22ppc & 6mmppc they are considerd the 2 most accurate rounds inside of 300 yards in the world. I am building a 22 ppc AK now.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.