Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 'Confederate' AK in .36 caliber (9x39mm)

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    Just because it'd be one of those over-thought, over-engineered 19th-century style touches.

In that case it would need a machined brass gas block!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I was thinking a color case hardened brass receiver with the trunnions srewed in with hand cut screws yeah and machined brass gas block what about an octagon barrel somehow? Maybe a flip up ladder sight of some sort for longer range shots

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by [486] View Post
    In that case it would need a machined brass gas block!
    Great minds think alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    As a spinoff of this thread, is anyone familiar with the GUNS OF THE SOUTH?
    (See this thread http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8039 )

The front sight base and gas chamber in cast brass.

And it'd be engraved with something like Tredegar Iron Works Self-Loading Carbine, calibre .36

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

hey just thought of another variation, build as a cenfederate ak like said but as one that got traded away to american indians and decorated like rawhide wrapped butt stock and inlaid turqoise and silver in the wood maybe a cool friged roughout drop case lol eagle feathers hangin from where the sling is tied to the sting mounts basicly like a muj kyber type build only american indian style

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by jreifsch80 View Post
    hey just thought of another variation, build as a cenfederate ak like said but as one that got traded away to american indians and decorated like rawhide wrapped butt stock and inlaid turqoise and silver in the wood maybe a cool friged roughout drop case lol eagle feathers hangin from where the sling is tied to the sting mounts basicly like a muj kyber type build only american indian style
    "Donner Pass Kalashnikov"

Feedback Score

Another option for a finish would to be to brown it. Mix a thin paste from wood ash and urine. Clean (oil free) all parts to be treated just as you would to do a modern blue finish. Apply the ash/urine paste, wait 12-48 hours or more, remove paste, hand buff with oil and or wax and you have a nice browned oxidized finish. Keep oiled just as you would a blued finish. I have finished several black powder pistols this way. They still look great after 20+ years and you have a period finish. I'll try to get a picture of a derringer I did posted, probably be monday or tues. Got this idea out of a "History of Remington Arms" book that my old man gave me when I was a kid. Now if you really wanted to dress it up you could have to have a vernier tang site with a hooded front post to really make it impressive. Your second model could be a lever action AK.

Semper Paratus.
    Last edited by mija; 01-30-2011 at 09:46 PM. Reason: spellin

Feedback Score

The problem I would see it having is in cycling.
    Blackpowder is lower in power (per volume that is-it takes a LOT of it).
    There would not be enough cycle power for the gas piston or spring.
    Not from such a tiny cartridge loaded with black.
    The spring and stuff would have to be equal to the ak-22.
    Second-that thing would foul up and quit cycling within just a few shots. No kidding.
    The gatling gun of that era, was only able to work, because of the many barrels and a non-self loading mechanism---in other words--you had to crank it.

Nice idea though!!!! I love thinking about how we could have won that war.

Even if this weapon would not cycle--and I'm not sure that it wouldn't, even if it were manually cycled to be loaded--it would have been a game changer in the Civil War. It would have loaded faster and when possessed by a company of solders, have more firepower than an entire division of muzzle loaders of that era.

It could have been built with the machine tools of that era quite easily.
    Actually looking at an AK apart, it would have been easier to build than a Henry rifle or other lever/repeater of that era.

But with the gas port enlarged--and the piston size altered, it would have cycled quite easily, and it would have chopped down those evil damn Yankee like they should have been chopped down.

God bless General Lee.
    God bless President Davis!

ST

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

It could have been built with the machine tools of that era quite easily.
    That's precisely what makes the whole concept so interesting. It's an example of the sheer genius of the Kalashnikov design.

The USSR had never hurt for designers or engineers, but it was critically short of production equipment during the war. Designing weapons was no problem; making them was. For example, Simonov's SKS design is superior to the AK in almost every way... but it required a lot of machining and custom tooling to make the receiver and bolt. The Kalashnikov's components were smaller, simpler, and - this was the big thing - there are no close tolerances anywhere in the design. Headspace? Who cares? Just push the barrel in against the assembly gage, drill the hole, and drive a pin in. Precision cam tracks to unlock the bolt? Any angled slot buggered in with a dull endmill will do; the gas system doesn't care. Complex receiver forging with custom-designed finishing machinery? Just use a couple of small trunnions and stamp the receiver out of sheet metal. (some North Korean variants used a stamped rear trunnion, too!) You have a design that can be farmed out to a dozen different subcontractors with indifferent quality control, slapped together by old women, and still function in subzero ice storms or tropical mud.

Someone mentioned the LeMat revolver earlier in this thread. The LeMat goes all the way back to 1856, and it was at least as complicated as an AK-47.

Feedback Score

There was a sci-fi story written years ago about some guy who invented a time machine, and then went back to the civil wars days with 1000 (or so) Ak47's--which he distributed to Lee's forces just before Gettysburg.

To say the least, they won.

If the AK in the Saiga version, modified to use 12 guage shotgun shell, works and cycles--so too would an AK in the 1860's with perhaps a .44 rimless round, and a 40 round magazine. A version of the Saiga comes in .410 gauge, and this is essentiall the same diameter of a .45.

As for the weapon fouling with black powder--yeah, perhaps after 1000 rounds or so--then it would need some cleaning. But I imagine it would fire as much as they needed it to work, before cleaning was required. A battle would be over in minutes with AK's... and there would not be all that marching around in columns and lines. Men would fight from concealment and cover and there would be quicker manuver possible.

ST

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.