Thread: doing a couple calibur conversions.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Default doing a couple calibur conversions.

I am building or collecting parts for the following builds. 1. 17-223 2. 6.8spc 3. 308x1.5 barnes 4. 458x1.5 with a rebated rim.
    the 17-223 will be pretty easy just a necked down 223 I have got the forming dies and the sizing dies, I bought a k-var bulgy bolt and mag. I am deciding what barrel to use and also the reamer It will be built on a Rommy trunion.
    the 6.8 spc will require a lot more work it may need a opend up 223 bolt and it does not appear to fit any AK style mag may have to mod a 6.8spc AR mag. I have a stainless varmit barrel 24" long I wil do this on a yugo as the champer pressure is up there.
    the 308x1.5 barnes is basicaly a 308 win cut down. I have some of the dies to make the round and a stainless 30-06 barrel that I plan on rechambering. the 308x1.5 will out perform the 7.62x39 round by aprox 300 fps with any given bullet and since it uses 308, 30-06 or any simular brass as a parent round it wil be cheap to load. it will also allow me to use .308 bullets that are avalibale in a larger selection. I am also looking into the posibility of a.311x1.5" version done on a rechamberd nonchrome ak barrel. this one will be done on a Yuco kit as the pressures are up there as well.
    the 458x1.5 is just in the planing stages at his point. I have a 458 win mag barrel to rechamber this is about the same as a 45 siloute with out the rim. I plan on taking 458 win brass or other mag brass cutting it down to 1.5" I have read that it can be formed with 45 colt dies. I dont think that it will do any thing that the 458 SOCOM or the 50 beowulf cant. it will be a hey look what I built type deal.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Keep us posted. My next two will be .45 win mag carbine and maybe a 6.5 grendel rpk. The 6.8 won't fit a 223 mag with mod. follower?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

the 6.8 in the bulgy 223 mag I have is close. the larger bullet hits the rib on the side of the mag causing it to turn in some this makes the rounds want to pop out of the mag. it may be possable if I had a steel mag to work with bend the lips in some to prevent this. I dont think the follower has much to do with it not working in this case. I may be able to file the rib down on this ten shot mag and make it work but at $20 each i would hate to mess it up as it is for my 223 varmit AK.
    the 6.5 grendal would be a lot easier build no bolt mods not sure what mag would work + the 6.5 appears to be a lot better round IMOA. currently 6.5 grendal reamers are not avaliable in the simmi auto chamber configuration to the puplic. the 6.5 that are avaliable are the tighter bolt action version and it is said that they are to tight for a SA round to cycle properly I have also heard reports that the free bore is longer on the bolt action reamer as mag length is not a concern on a bolt action and this allows the bullet to be seated further out, I have not been able to confirm ths however. I dont think the 6.5 has goten saami aprovel yet. as soon as a reamer is avaliable I will be doing a 6.5 grendal myself. I have considerd getting the bolt action version and giving it a try possably polishing the chamber slightly if it is to tight. if the free bore is not correct it will most likely shoot like crap however

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Would be nice to know.I have a PTG 6.5 reamer.Haven't got the barrel yet.
    It's only metal, it's not magic.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Pupwag if you are interested in reaming someone elses barrel for cash$ after you get yours done let me know. I would love to do a 6.5 grendal in a varmit style build. I have been collecting dies for a 22 &6mm ppc as well. I want to do a 6mm ppc AK and also a bolt action as well.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

AS I was working on a 458 x 1.5 rebated rim wild cat it appears that so was some one else (or at least very close to it) saw a add in Guns & Ammo that took the wind out of my sails.

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_ses...89b06b7e5c87d5

this has a .452 bullet in 250 grain but appears to be almot identical to what I was working on. I was turning the rim &belt down on a 7 mag round and working on a ideal overall length that would allow heaver bullets around 1.5". I actually spoke to pacific tool on thursday about reamers when I orderd my 17-223 reamer. (hope to have that done by early june) and was still debating on over all case length and held off.
    the 450 bushmaster it said to work in AR mags with just a follower change. this IMOA will make a great AK conversion. the ammo is not avaliable yet. nor could i find any uppers but I am guessing by the name thayt bushmasyter will be doing a gun to compete with the alexander arms 50 beowulf and the teppo jutso 458.
    socom.
    Not sure if I will procede with my round now or not the one advantage with what I was working on was I was going to use heavy bullets I was thinking it would be a good subsonic round as well. It will be interesting to see if this round will be avaliable with heaver bullets in the furture.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I don't know your intents , but if you don't mind the front end screwed to the trunnion than you can use the same receiver and compontents by just changing the front end

just a thought?

sprat

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.