Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: any 9mm ak suggestions

Feedback Score

Default any 9mm ak suggestions

im searching the internet for parts and ive run across a trunnion that will allow you to use a suomi drum . now i have built 3 '47s and going to build a few more but would like a challenge. i would love to be able to use the affordable 9mm and i know someone has done this. i got one of those real cheap suomi kits from centerfire laying around. any help would be great. thanks guys.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I'm working on one right now as well. I'd say search for the 2xtp 9mm ak. Its a suomi drum fed AK. www.lichtenbergresearch.com has barrel sleeves, bolt sleeves and a magwell that is far superior to the one you'd salvage from your kit. If you search on here azhonkey built a really nice one. Anyway its a really neat build. There are lots of pics of it and a build tutorial on the site I provided you. good luck, I haven't done much on mine because I fear the bolt conversion

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Anybody ever built one using a Mac 11 9mm bolt assembly? I tried to build a Mac11 from a kit in the early 90's, but my skills at the time weren't so great and I messed up the flat. I still have the whole thing and have considered building something with that bolt and a Soumi barrel on an AK receiver. I really like the Mac bolt set-up, self contained, very simple and rides in a square tube.

I measured the Soumi barrel and it is close to 3/4 inch diameter, vs the Mac11 barrel of 1/2 inch. The Mac bolt overhangs the barrel, so either the chamber end of the barrel will have to be 1/2 inch or the foward part of the bolt milled out to 3/4. Worried about reducing the mass of the bolt.

Can a Soumi barrel be safely turned down to 1/2 inch diameter so that the Mac11 bolt will work? For mags I would probably use Sten's, since they are so cheap.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

why don't you just buy another flat for the mac or side plates and a center section, I think it would be quite difficult to use a mac bolt in an AK since the mac bolt is pretty much square.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Honestly I don't like the feel of the Mac, and don't want to go through all the modifications that an AK bolt/carrier would need. Also too selfish to waste one of my AK kits for another project other than an AK.

First observation is that the hammer and trigger hook (left side) hit the ejector rod and recoil spring. This would have to be changed to a right side trigger hook setup. Otherwise the hammer is pretty close to the right height/position to squarely hit the firing pin. Hmmmm.

I'll post some pics later.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

yea but what about the topcover/ the bolt fitting on the rails? I haven't studied the bolt of a mac in detail but it seems like more work than its worth. Just make a mac and then change the grip and stuff to fit your taste. I think a mac is an easy build

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

It would have a square tube upper receiver to hold the bolt/trunion/barrel. Not really worried about a top cover. The top rails of the AK receiver would be eliminated with 1/16 stiffener bars tacked in to support this area. AK is 1.25 wide, Mac is 1 1/8 wide. The upper rec would sit down into the lower, making the barrel centerline a little closer to an AK.

Just daydreaming at this point. Here's the pics.

Took another look and the top AK cover slips right over the top square tube receiver. Could fab a rear sight block (where the Mac front sight is) with a groove for the cover. Hmmmmmm.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I realize the other conversions are relatively cheap and simple, welding the bolt, redrilling the firing pin retaining pin, etc. Simple and inexpensive-NOT! This is just an alternate idea based on spare parts I have laying around.

Here's another pic with the top cover, you can get the idea of the basic layout. Top square tube receiver will sit down inside AK receiver about 3/8", just above the selector/safety. AK RSB could be milled down and attached directly to top of square tube upper to hold the front of the cover and provide the rear sight.

Obviously the cocking knob will have to be moved if an AK cover is used.

What is the diameter of an Uzi barrel??? If it's closer to 1/2 inch then that may be an easier route vs. turning down the Soumi barrel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I don't have my uzi barrel at the moment, I'm at college, its at home but I would say its close to half inch. looks like a cool build, I say go with this hybrid. Are you going to try and shorten the AK receiver?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Wish I was back at college. We had a complete machine shop program, but the prof wasn't into guns.

Yes, I'm sure the receiver could be shortened, as well as the cover if I go that route. Also thinking of building a square tube skeleton buttstock (like the 74 side-folders), could probably whack 2 inches off the back. Good idea, thanks!

If I scrap the AK cover idea, I would move the cocking knob to the side, then put a picatinny rail on top and an AR style rear sight at the rear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.