Gunco Forums banner

308 AK Bullpup Update

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  muttman 
#1 ·
Update - I put up the promised pics. Not wanting to distract from the other thread I just started this one.

I took closeups of most all of the important pieces with a brief description. I'm off this week for some R&R and I'm going to the range on a week day where hopefully I can tie this down and do the "string test" to test fire it. If it goes through a few mags' worth of ammo I'll test fire it from the shoulder.

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AKM/AK_308/ak_308.htm

#5 ·
#7 ·
Jerry -- I feel like an idiot armchair qb but have to ask:

Why didn't you use the larger fal gas block?

#9 ·
Muttman - I mig'ed it with my cheap-o mig welder... which is probably the main problem!

The stripes on the case are due to the G3 chamber. The Germans fluted the chamber to aid extraction for their recoil-assted design. Standard G3 stuff.

Winn - I chose that because my goal was to "recycle" as many spare parts as I had on hand. And I've never bought one of those! It just kills me to see a box full of mis-matched parts that just want a good home. ;)

I'll be removing the gas block from the G kit I've been using as a donor. If I get it done today (hrmmm... big if!) I'll take it back to the range tomorrow.

#11 ·
Jerry -- Oh lord, I hope I never catch that use up what's in the boxes malady -- I 'd have a rifle that looks likes the Johnny Cash song car!!

But to try to work my pile down some, I've got some extra sight/gas blocks for a fal.

Let me know if you want one.

#13 ·
pookie,
if you ever need the g/b repaired, or other part send it my way, I could tig it for ya ( could be used as a drill guide on a barrel). how did you attach the gas tube to stay in the rsb. after eyeing your photos on your web page I still have not figerd out how you mounted the tube. muttman

#14 ·
muttman said:
how did you attach the gas tube to stay in the rsb. after eyeing your photos on your web page I still have not figerd out how you mounted the tube. muttman
I thought I described it... maybe not.

I welded a bead on the bottom rear of the gas tube and milled it to shape. Being a tube, it liked to roll around in the vise when it was getting cut, so it isn't as clean as I'd hoped.

I milled flats in both sides of the tube so that it just fits up into the RSB without the need for a "retainer" since the FAL-style clamshell handguards connect at a different point.

That tube was reamed out for the piston, and a recess was cut on the front so it would stay attached to the gas block.

Does that make sense now? I'm not sure if that is very clear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.