Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: SMALLEST GAS PORT SIZE??

Feedback Score

Well I've been watching your 223 build for a long time now, must be close to a year.

for 10 or 11 months now I've had a real nice like new Browning A bolt 223 take off with the boss system comp on it. Waiting to see how yours comes out. well that and finish putting my lathe back together.

havent decided if I want to build it on a romy or a yugo have an unfired romy kit and a couple wood stock yugos, but one of them already has a tabuk barrel in the box with it.
    and I think a 24" barrel would look corny on an underfolder.

got a romy and yugo done they still need some tweeking, the rails on the romy are to tight at the back and the carrier on the yugo is hanging on the hammer, dam tapco yugo flat,

The .17 rem case is longer than a 223. are you shortening the camber end of the barrel and then rechambering?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

What, my build? If you mean mine, FYI I'm working on it this weekend as a matter of fact - I sleeved the Galil barrel for an AK-74 trunion and sleeved the muzzle for AK threads. I'm currently polishing the combo gas block and bayonet lug ring, and the tube for the gas tube arrived, so I need to make me a long piston and a handguard retainer, then press it all together. That will give me a working gun that is missing only handguards, that I am going to work on shortly hereafter:

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/st...ld/stg-940.htm
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

My 223 has been done except for the gas block for over a year. it shoot,s 1/2-3/4 groups cycled by hand with factory winchester ammo I killed about 300 praire dogs with it last year. I have been putting off the gas block because I wanted to start reloding for it and do some testing to see how much differance there is with out the gas port and with. That browning barrel should work great those boss systems are susposed to work pretty good. what twist rate is that barrel? mine has a 1-9 so it can handel the heavier bullets. going to load up some 69 grain boat tail for it and see how it will really shoot in the near future. the main thing with getting these guns to shoot is trigger work and a good scope mount. I got the pistol pretty much done today so I may start working on a gas block tommorow . I have been wondering if an aluminum one would work. AR,s have them but there is no piston in them I would like to keep the weight off the barrel

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

h
    avent decided if I want to build it on a romy or a yugo have an unfired romy kit and a couple wood stock yugos, but one of them already has a tabuk barrel in the box with it.
    and I think a 24" barrel would look corny on an underfolder.
    I used a rusty rommy kit for mine as will be the 17-223. about the only thing from it used was the trunions carrier and trigger guard. for pure function the advanced technoligys stock works great for a varmit/target set up. the yugo would give it a little more of a saftey margin remember that 223 is over 50,000 psi. and hand loads are even hotter. I try not to use mint kits on my conversions if I can help it I would rather save those for a original build. I have around 1000 rounds through mine now and have not had any problems, it uses a bulgarian bolt.

Feedback Score

I have'nt checked the twist rate on tha A bolt barrel, it's more than likely 1-14 but thats fine by me, my .222 rem contender has lower velocity and stabilizes .55 grain bullets great, it likes the 52 grain hornady match better though. I'm not very concerned about the extra pressure, Its a comercial barrel with much thicker chamber walls. almost all of the pressure to the rear is held by the case expanding into the chamber walls. The 50k pressure is acting on a lot less surface area at the base of the round. As long as the head space is good, and the cases are monitored for stretch it should be fine.

yea I think I feel an off the top romy comming up in the not to distant future.

If you left the sleave that goes around the barrel thicker, an aluminum gas block should work, it will erode faster than steel, but I dont see much of an advantage in using aluminum, I think the force of the gas tube pressing the block forward will have more of an effect on accuracy than the weight of the block.

I follow all of the threads where people are doing more than just assembling aks on already finished parts, loved pookies 308 bullpup build, the soumi drum guns,and this varment gun build since mtdew did a 223 romy on the cheap.
    saw one where a guy tigged a ring made from a scrap barrel into a bolt, for a 223 conversion

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

the force of the gas tube pressing the block forward will have more of an effect on accuracy

the gas tube will not be touching the block it is held onto the custom rsb by a screw so it will suport itself. I will have it a few thou awy from the block I plan on having the piston ride in the custom block for a few inches before it gets to the tube the gap I leave will be less area than the vents on a standard build

I shot my 223 today with a few different hand loads. I had groups from 3" to 3/8". I had the best luck with 50 gr hornady vmax loaded with h322 powder i had a 3 shot group do just under 3/8" at 100 yards and a 5 shot group come in at 3/4" it would have been 1/2 but got one slight flyer. I had some loads loaded with 748 powdser do pretty good also but 29 grains was to hot and I was piercing primers so I had to quit. sierra boat tail hollow points were the worst they averaged around 3" no matter what the load. this is my first try at reloading but with a 1/2 " average ffrom one load I think I am doing pretty good I will now start playing with seating depth and amount of powder. I was shooting of the back of a flat bed truck with sand bags and had a slight wind. with the scope on 32X I could actually see my heart beat affecting my aim I think it will do better with a good rest and and adjusting the trigger down as low as I dare. Time to build a gas block and drill a hole.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I finaly put a gas block made fromk 2"x3" steel ( abought 8 hours on the mill by hand) the piston rides in a fairly tight fitting bore for 1.5" bfore entering the AMSD 65 gas tube. I tried gas port holes from .035 in . incriments up to the final size of .071 this was the smallest hole that would reliably cycle every load a had on hand. .040 would barely move the bolt back .060 would cycle a single round with no mag installed. I got a chance to shoot it before my trip and it still shot as good if not better than before I had a 4 shot group that is basicaly one hole and a 5th shot that was 1/4 inch from that this was done with a 50 GR nosler ballistic tips with 22.5 grains of h322 powder. I ran aproximently 400 rounds through it praire dog hunting and it was deadly at 250 yards. I had kills out to 450 yards but they were not one shot kills I was able to make several one shot kills at 300 yards. this appears to be about all any of the 8 other guys with bolt actions were able to do as well. I started to get doubles toward the end due to the poor disconector ingagement this is my falt as I have the trigger set right at the edge of not catching and it gives very little room to allow the disconector to catch to to almost complete lack of trigger movement. when it was working correctly I was able to clear of a mound of dogs 5 in a row with out taking my off the target. at the very least I have proven that with enough work a very accurarte AK can be buillt weather it was worth all the work and money I cant say,but shooting a soda can sized target at over a quater of a mile with some thing built in my shop is very self satisfiing. I would really like to see how some guy got a smaller port to work ( I do not doubt they did it) but .071 was what this one needed.

Feedback Score

Outstanding I was curious about how the gas system would affect the accuracy.
    can you post a pic of the finished rifle ?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I will try to get some thing up in the future

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.