Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: .308 ak successes ?

Feedback Score

Default .308 ak successes ?

I am kinda new to this, and was following some of the threads here on this topic but none of them have any final results. You guys are killin' me here! Has it been done? Can it be done? Is there a body count? Use a yugo? Use a romy? Just go buy a saiga and convert? HCPookie are you out there?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

HC-who? Is that you John Wayne? Is that me?

- It shoots. Repeatedly.

- Gas Block cracking issue resolved with beefier (more beefy?) gas block. Original gas block was not heavy enough due to reaming needs and the barrel thickness at the sleeve. New gas block has more metal.

- The ejector needs to be trimmed.

- I need to paint it and convert more magazines

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AKM/AK_308/ak_308.htm

Feedback Score

Thanks for the reply,hc. Pleased to hear it shoots,repeatedly. Seriously planning one of these myself. Have a new cetme barrel, a yugo stamped kit for parts and kinda thinking about doing this on a psl type receiver. Does anyone know if a galil 308 bolt will lock-up in a yugo frt trunnion? Looking over some of these threads on this conversion, a big area of concern was the fitness of the M-70 bolt or any 7.632x39 bolt for the task. What say you?

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Default Saiga!!!!!

I've tried it both ways. I like the Saiga conversion better. I went one further and hacked at some old G3 mags, now I'm a happy boy...

Good Luck!

Bellson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I have to say the Saiga 308 looks like a nice setup, especially with those 20-round mags. A bit pricey with the mags, but cool looks = $$$

I would have to say that if I wanted the least amount of hassle, I'd go with a Saiga 308 and the custom mags, *AND* a G3 magazine adapter from BRG3 - he used to make them right around the time of the AWB sunset and I'm certain he could be talked into a new run of them. It looks funny, but gives you another reason to store the cheap-o G3 mags, AND IT NEVER HURTS to have one magazine style for different rifles!!!

From a logistics and cost perspective, it would be a good investment for one of those adapters. *OR* modify the rifle to be able to accept another style of magazine.

The single problem with mine is that I have to modify existing magazines to fit. My rifle has as close to a standard magazine geometry as possible, and I designed the locking lugs that way on purpose... the good thing with my approach is that I may actually be able to use those US-built 20-round mags, but I simply haven't tried it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

HC any pics of the adapter any were? I have been thinking of adding a 308 saiga to the collection in light of possable law changes. this would make it a more attractive purchase. glad to hear you got the 308 up and running. how harsh is the recoil? I have been thinking of doing one of my hunting pistols in 308 or may be a 338-08

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The adapter info is BattleRifleG3's baby - PM him about them. I ran across them in an older post on the Saiga-12 forum.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

So what is it, an adapter to use stock G3 mags in a SAIGA?

TIA

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Pookie,

That was a cool build looks like the kinda stuff we see comming out of the special effects workshop. Something cool that gets us all a buzz.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Lt762x39 I'm going to get my wife to film me shooting it

Here is the thread on the Saiga12 forum about the adaptors:

G3 Mag adaptors - It's taken far too long; Who's still interes - forum.Saiga-12.com

Here are some pics from that thread, but I'm not sure if they will link:

Last edited by hcpookie; 06-30-2008 at 04:35 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.