Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My 308 is almost complete!

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Hello?? are you listening PICS!!! (please)

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Congrats Jerry!

The hard one are the ones we remember.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Glad to hear it!!! what ammo are you running Nato 7.62 or 308 WIN? and could you please run 2000 round through it real quick to put the Rommy bolt trunion strength issues to rest (LOL). and make me sleep a little better thinking about the pistol I want to do were my head rests on the dust cover. I have got a 308 & a 243 barrel waiting for time to get going on one of these.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Pictures for you impatient types. Please ignore the grind marks, heat treat rings, and weld spatter. I don't like cleaning something up then finding only afterward that I have to mess it up again. So any more, I wait to clean it "pretty" until after it functions. So most my home builds never go painted!

I almost forgot - SCOPE RAIL! I'm making one, going to use a standard PSO scope with it. The original "I did it" pic didn't have the rear sight attached - now you get to see it. I have yet to drill the front sight for a post. That's moving up the menu. I am proud to say that my Eyeball 1.0 boresight method worked - the rounds fall "inside" the ring that the front sight hood creates.

Only after I completed the front sight did I realize there is no windage adjustment for the front sight. Since my boresight method worked, and since the iron sights are backup-only for this rifle, I may not worry about it. Dunno yet.

Last edited by hcpookie; 04-10-2008 at 11:58 AM.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vz58
    Hello?? are you listening PICS!!! (please)
    Yeah, yeah yeah... see them now?

Quote Originally Posted by Winn R
    Congrats Jerry!

The hard one are the ones we remember.
    BOY ISN'T THAT THE TRUTH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun
    what ammo are you running Nato 7.62 or 308 WIN? and could you please run 2000 round through it real quick to put the Rommy bolt trunion strength issues to rest (LOL).
    I'm running the SA battle pack stuff from back when the battle packs were affordable. I assume they are 7.62x51. So far that is all I have used. If you want to fund my test project, I will GLADLY test it and claim you as the "sponsor". Just so it isn't that Indian '90's stuff!

Since the G3 chamber is fluted, I'm not sure but I think it could use either .308 or 7.62x51. Not sure, really. I *WILL* be reloading .308 so I am very interested in finding out. I noticed the chamber on the MG-42 is also fluted, so if it works in one it should work in both. Hopefully.
    Gunco Member #10

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I will GLADLY test it and claim you as the "sponsor
    I was expecting a answer like that (LOL) I think it would handel each round ok as far as dimensions. Handloading sounds like a safe start. some of the 308 loads with win 748 powder show fairly low chamber pressures and very good MV. In fact some were less than the hot 7.62x39 loads
    I spoke to a very reptable gun smith recently about action strength and his was response was that it wont let go at once but it would streach the lugs some first if it was not strong enough. his sugestion was to check head space frequently and to watch for any change. this would indicate that the action is being over worked. He wasnt speaking directly about AK,s but rifles in general. It wouldnt take but a few seconds to check it every 100 rounds or so mabe more at first.
    Looks like a very cool gun!! were are you mounting the scope rail? wont it be to far back if mounted on the side of the reciver?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

That's Nas-tea !!!

Looks awesome

Did I do that?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun
    I was expecting a answer like that (LOL) I think it would handel each round ok as far as dimensions. Handloading sounds like a safe start. some of the 308 loads with win 748 powder show fairly low chamber pressures and very good MV. In fact some were less than the hot 7.62x39 loads
    I spoke to a very reptable gun smith recently about action strength and his was response was that it wont let go at once but it would streach the lugs some first if it was not strong enough. his sugestion was to check head space frequently and to watch for any change. this would indicate that the action is being over worked. He wasnt speaking directly about AK,s but rifles in general. It wouldnt take but a few seconds to check it every 100 rounds or so mabe more at first.
    Looks like a very cool gun!! were are you mounting the scope rail? wont it be to far back if mounted on the side of the reciver?
    Thanks for that info, very helpful. I have in fact been checking headspace every time I went to the range. True, I've only fired about 5-6 rounds every time at the range, but I don't want a broken gun and/or face! I also visually inspect every part for any sort of hairline cracks or peening. Safety first!

The scope rail is going in that flat part directly above the pistol grip. That gives you proper eye relief. The scope rail must be wide enough to let the scope sit in position without touching the handguards or the top cover, and because the eye relief is different when you rest your cheek on the top cover vs. against the buttstock like a normal AK. It will be about 1" wide. I don't know what I was thinking when I made my last order from LMS and I forgot to order the dovetail cutter... brain-dead moment SO... another LMS order and another 4 days shipping.

With ANY luck I'll have time next weekend to make the dovetail and finish it up. I really want to mount it before I paint everything. I'm still on the fence whether or not I should redo the "prototype" trigger housing. My original plan was to mill it from a chunk of bar stock, but I didn't want to ruin the metal and spend all that time for something that, at the time, was an experiemental change. The trigger housing is 3 pieces of 3\16" stock to which I welded bits and pieces and dremelled the crap out of it. Very ugly inside. I am thinking about making it a milled piece to make it pretty, but then again "it works" and I may just leave the prototype as-is. Now if I do make one in 6.5 Grendel or 6mm PPC or some other "match grade" caliber I'll mill it
    Gunco Member #10

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I like that.

The flip up sights are a nice touch.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I personally like the "prototype" look. The trigger gaurd looks like a sized up FAL unit and looks good shape wise! The wood also looks good to me. I'm really glad you are still checking headspace pretty often, especially with the bullpup design putting the chamber so close to your face. You are the man Jerry!!
    Gunco member #11

“it is dangerous to be right in matters about which the established authorities are wrong” Voltaire

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.