Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My 308 is almost complete!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default My 308 is almost complete!

She fires, repeatedly. I had to relocate and reweld the ejector farther back, because in my testing I was hand-feeding spent brass, and never hand feeding a loaded round (safety, you know). The result? The ejector was located just enough to eject a spent round but not a loaded one! (slaps forehead). Lucky I didn't have any squibs - I'm not sure how I would have removed the cartridge. Now, the ejector will properly eject both spent and un-spent rounds. I also had to cut the top cover farther back to prevent stove pipes.

I have to "help" the bolt forward into battery by pushing the "forward assist"/charging handle until it is in battery. It appears that I have some binding issues with the location of the G3 magazine in relation to the feed ramp. I think I need to grind the feed ramp farther down to give the rounds more room to clear.

Honestly, the way the rounds are fed seem to require a great deal of side-to-side motion when the bolt is pushing them into battery. It seems that the G3 doesn't push them as far side-to-side and that makes sense, considering the differences in the G3 receiver vs. an AK receiver. It causes a problem in that the mainspring and bolt really have to push hard to overcome the friction of the bullets. I may be able to help this by trimming the feed lips. I am not sure if a heavier mainspring can be found - that would be nice!

Another thought I had as I'm typing this is that of PBB's experience with the need to trim the rails on his PSL. I may have too much friction from the rails that is making the rounds drag, causing too much friction when feeding.

I am pleased with how it functions and can say that it kicks harder than expected. Of course, that may only be my shoulder's complaining since I was shooting my AK-74 just before I switched over to the 308!
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score

Nice to see this project is on the move, and not on the back burner. I have to "practice" on a few standard ak's before I venture too far into the custom stuff, and practice time for me is a little scarce this time of year.Do you think a gallil 308 bolt would lock-up on a yugo trunnion?I kind of like that idea, but not quite enough to spend $100 + to find out. When do you think you'll have pics of mods on your site? I may do a little of my own "engineering" on this project when I get to the build, but your basics(and details) are invaluable. thanks for sharing your hard-earned experience. Also, if you were going to try to use a mag that you didn't modify, but instead modified the trunnion-receiver, which would it be?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Pookie,

got any new pics of your .308 bullpup??????

Feedback Score

I am pleased with how it functions and can say that it kicks harder than expected. Of course, that may only be my shoulder's complaining since I was shooting my AK-74 just before I switched over to the 308! [/quote]

would be nice if they all kicked like the -74.
    good to hear you got her 100% now. did you ever do a video or more more photos at the range yet. muttman

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I'm not sure about a Galil bolt... don't have the hardware to check.

Since there are very few options for using un-modified mags, you really don't have a choice but to use the Saiga .308 20-rounders if you wish to use the "unmodified" magazine approach.

I have always contended that the modification requiring the least amount of work is the easier route. So if modified mags are a question, there seems to be some credence to using a FAL magazine.

My G3 mag modification is functional, and now all I need to do is create 9 more sets of magazine lugs to weld onto the other magazines. That will be MUCH easier now that I have a spot welder! I realized that if I make one big magazine lug and "slice" it like slices of bread from a loaf, then that will save me some work right there. So the idea will be to make a very wide lug and slice it up into 9 smaller slices, then spot weld them into place. Then I never have to deal with it again, because 10 magazines for a rifle will be enough for me to consider it a "standard" loadout. In other words, that will be a potential load of 200 rounds of 308 that I can carry into the zombie-infested woods.

I don't have any new pictures yet - I am going to snap some pics of me firing and a video too. Since the range is closing next week for maintenance, it will happen either this weekend or sometime after September 1.
    Gunco Member #10

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

Sounds nice!

And i have to use this smiley.

"To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

.Do you think a gallil 308 bolt would lock-up on a yugo trunnion?
    I would just open up the 7.62 x 39 bolt like HC did. one might skip the spring loaded firing pin if they stuck to military ammo or reloaded with the harder military style primmers like I do

even though I have a couple dozen G3 mags to play with I am starting to think the FAL mag may be better for the same reason. it feeds the shell to the center before it reaches the feed ramp. the down side is it may be harder to do other caliburs based on the 308 parent round like a 243 or 7mm-08 338-08 since bullet diamiter would affect the feeding more with the FAL mag since the neck area rides on the mag.
    there are true 308 (7.62 x 51) AK mags out there but you will pay dearly for them if you can find them. the interordance ssg-2000 and the ssg-97 Mags would be a likely candidate 10 rounders are $40 I see they also sell a 7.62x54R version as well so mags must be avaliable for that as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Congrats HC!

Can't wait to see it finished and running.

Feedback Score

[
    there are true 308 (7.62 x 51) AK mags out there but you will pay dearly for them if you can find them. the interordance ssg-2000 and the ssg-97 Mags would be a likely candidate 10 rounders are $40 I see they also sell a 7.62x54R version as well so mags must be avaliable for that as well.[/quote]

1biggun,
    there is a US made .308 20 round mag out there but the price is just as high $40 range.
    Im now starting to lean to the fal mag $10/ mag beets $20 for a galil mag and one would get more rounds in the mag. muttman

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

"Another other" update!!!

***SHE ROCKS!!!!*** I was able to run through an entire magazine with zero issues. As far as I'm concerned, this build is functionally complete and requires only polishing and painting. I am going to sand blast, phosphate, and paint it.

It kicks less than my PSL does. My wife was able to handle the recoil now, and she likes it. She can't wrap her hands around the pistol grip, but I did model it thick after the "sniper" style grip on the SVU that I used as the model.

Next up - paint it, convert more magazines, and make some glamour shots and a short vid!

A few items I overlooked in my troubleshooting... had I found these sooner, I would have been done with this months ago:

- Weak magazine spring. This one was a head slapping "why didn't I see that before" issue. Only until I really did some serious trial-and error did I find that one.

- Too close tolerance on piston. My piston is custom length because it is slightly longer than a normal AK. Well, I discovered it was just tight enough that 3/4 of the time it would hang when entering the gas block, thus keeping the carrier from sliding all the way home. All this time I was looking at it like it was a too-tight headspace issue. Only until I stripped it and hand-tested the feed with a bolt carrier that had no piston did I notice this.

- Ports on the gas tube. The excessive recoil was tamed by drilling holes in the gas tube just like my Chinese rifles have. So now there are 8 gas ports: 4 on the Romy-G gas block, and 4 on the gas tube, 2 on each side "Chinese Style" at 2 and 10 o'clock.

- Polish! Polish! Polish! Not the country, the buffing! The nature of this custom build meant a great deal of grinding and dremel work. Many surfaces needed to be polished with the red buffing compound before they actually functioned properly at the range.

- Range Time. Hand-cycling the action does not produce the same recoil as actual firing at the range. I found several issues only by doing some firing.
    Gunco Member #10

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.