Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Ak in .45 winchester magnum gas port help

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Default Ak45 win mag (Pics up)

I'm about to the point I need to start worrying about my gas port size. The chamber reamer should be ordered next week. I will have to build a gasblock and have been wondering about the gas port size. Any ideas? For those of you not familiar, the 45 win mag will launch 230 grains at about 1700 fps. I'm using a 16.5" bbl and a standard length gas piston.
    Last edited by vz58; 07-16-2008 at 08:37 PM.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Cool - sounds powerful! What bolt & trunion are you going to use?

That much gas pressure would mean that there is no need for a huge hole - a small hole should allow enough pressure and not cause a problem with the ballistics.

I would say a small port would be fine - mimic a FAL port or something like that. I wonder what is a factory Saiga 308 port size?

On my 308 conversion, I used a port that is just about 11/64", which is the factory size for 7.62x39. I think it is too big of a port for 308. I am going to add those purge holes around the tube/block connection like on an AK-74 to help purge some of the gas.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Yugo bolt and russian milled front receiver stub. the max charge I found in reloading is 230@1700 in a 12" bbl. I will prob go a little less on the powder but it will all depend on what charge gives me accuracy. I too was considering using bleed holes to "tune" it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

very excited to hear more, i would start around .050

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Panacea, It uses a russian front stub (type III), a thompson carbine barrel (with an adapter to press the bbl into and thread into the receiver, 4130 plates to rebuild the sides and rear, a chinese stamped recv. recoil spring/stock tang. The bolt and carrier are yugo. The bolt face was opened up slightly for the larger case and the extractor dremeled to fit. The gas tube is a two piece thing, a full length outer and a 5.75" inner that will actually act as the guide for the piston. the gas block will also have a front sight made into it. most likely similar to an mp-5. There will not be a rear sight block. The receiver cover is a heavy yugo and will have a 2 position flip apeture sight near the rear. The stock is similar to a vz58 wood stock inprofile. I will try to get some pics in a week or 2. The magazine is what I am going to work on next I think. I will try to go with a double feed but if that doesn't pan out I will go with a double stack single feed. The springs in my HK91 alum mags are 2"x1", almost perfect for the AK45 magazine size. I havent decided on a muzzle device yet, I will prob just do a m-16 style flash suppressor on the lathe. My goal is to be done and ready with loads worked up for deer season this year. I have some thick brush/vine areas to try this year.
    Last edited by vz58; 06-28-2007 at 03:13 AM.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

what chamber pressure does this round have? I would start small at around the .050 sugested and work up. you may have to drill it a few times to get it right. My 223 varmit build started out out at .035 and ended up at around .080. the good news is accuracy did not seem to suffer as the hole got larger. sounds like a cool build I had eye balled that round myself as a possable candiate for a conversion. BE VERY CAREFULL DRILLING THE SMALL HOLES IT IS VERY EASY TO BREAK A BIT OFF IN THE BARREL AND THEN YOU ARE SCREWD (TRUST ME ON THIS ONE)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

this sounds really cool. but man its gonna be expensive to shoot
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Not too expensive, I just stumbled on a lot of 200 once fired brass cheap. If anyone needs 30-06, 44 s+w, 44 mag, 357 mag or 38spl brass let me know.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Any 308 brass?
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I can use the 30-06 brass what do you have and how much?

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.