Gunco Forums banner

Hmm, re-caliberizing ......hope thats a word

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  1biggun 
#1 ·
Hey yall,
i been playing aroung tonight with my ak pistol build, and got to thinkin :blowup:
id like to convert a rommy to another like 545 or 223. probably 223.
so how would igo about doing this? thought just find a barrel with all the stuf on it and just use that barrel, but i dont know how this would work
i need to get a another barrel, but which one? this is a g kit by the way.
and what needs to be done with the bolt?

#3 ·
Amd,

I could measure a couple of kits and tell you the diameter Romi in 762x39 and the tantal in 5.45x39. It would take a little while to find them (Packed up) You could most likely hit up Hcpookie and he might have the info on hand. He's a wild man when it comes to builds and total scratch stuff Panaceabeachbum is the grand master. Me (my 2 cents) I'd hit the masters up and see what you get. You could also hit our own info master up our admin 762x39. He's hooked me up with lots of info when I couldn't find it.

#6 ·
read the all the stuff in the calibur conversion section on this sight. but here is the basics to converting a rommy to a 223. I have done several this way. You ned a kvar bulgarian bolt $60 a bulgarian bullet guide $12 and a 223 mag aprox $10- $20
and what ever barrel you can find. before ebay did there stupid F!@K rule change a remington model 700 barrel could be found for under $50.the bolt is the same stem dia as the rommy so it will fit the carrier. the carrier will need to be modifed to fit the mag however. you will need to have the barrel turned down in a lathe to match the trunion ,RSB, GB, FSB or you can modify or miake new stuff to fit the exiisting profile like I did on my varmit build. a standard reciver willl work with a few tweeks to the mag well and trigger guard placement. doing a conversion is cheaper than buying a 223 kit and you can sell the unused barrel and bolt. some guys are modifing the bolt to reduce the face size I am not real hot on this but to each his own. Again it is cover in detail in the calibur conversion area on this sight several times do a search. her is a bad pic of mine

#8 ·
NO It is SA now with a very custom milled out of one piece solid steel (to heavy) clamp on Gas block the piston rides in about 1.5" before entering the floating gas tube. this is a year old picture. I have done a bunch up grades since this pic. The gas block and port seemed to make very little differance in accuracy in fact it may shoot better. The first try after going SA resulted in a 3 shot 100 yard ONE HOLE group using the first reloads I ever loaded. (I have been very lucky with this build). I hope to get pics up some day if I ever get my computer fixed. working on a 17-223 very simular to it now.

#12 ·
It will be a while before I get pics of any thing up as computer wont take camera photos anymore. but what i did was mill the original rsb down flush welded in a piece of flat bar to the top of it I then milled up a steel weaver rail and atttached it to the flat bar with small allen heads . the bottom of the sight bloclk was milled off as well and a solid block of steel the width of the reciver was bored to fit the aprox 1" varmit barrel I milled a slot in the block and fitted the milled sight block into it and plugwelded it in through holes in the block from the side and then milled it all smooth. IT was a major PITA. the bottom mod would not be nessacary if you retained the original barrel or barrel sizes. the gas tube is held in with a allen bolt and a tab welded onto the tube it is floating on the RSB and the GB..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.