Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: .45 & .50 Caliber "Intermediate" Rounds

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default .45 & .50 Caliber "Intermediate" Rounds

Check this out. All this time I thought there was only the .50 Beowulf but apparently I was wrong.

All these calibers have a common thread that their design is meant for use in the AR platform, meaning they will fit an AR magwell and in some cases an AR mag.

The disadvantage that is common to most all of these, and which is what is going to keep them in "wildcat" country, is the "proprietary" desire by the manufacturers to keep the caliber in their brand of AR platform. One can argue that this is a good thing from a Quality Control viewpoint, but one can also argue that this is a bad thing from a home loader viewpoint. A cartridge simply can't become popular if it is in such a limited offering that you can't even find reloading dies!!!!

.458 SOCOM: Built by Teppo-Jutsu

.50 Beowulf: built by Alexander Arms

.499 LWR: built by Leitner-Wise Rifle Company

The .499 is like a "magnum" version of the .50 Beowulf... if the Beo is a .38, the .499 LWR is the .357 magnum. They might actually have been designed by the same team that eventually broke up and went separate ways, but it is hard to figure out the truth vs. the FUD. The .499 is a .50. It is .499 because of the potential for .50 cal bans.

Leitner-Wise Defense, Inc.

Defense Review - Alexander Arms .50 Beowulf: One Serious .499 Caliber Tactical Carbine.

http://insidedefense.com/secure/defe...m=homeland_192

InsideDefense.com document

More Punch for the AR

12,5mm (.499) battle rifle LW15.499 [Archive] - Military Photos

.500 Phantom: subsonic .50 based on the .458 in a larger caliber, and for the AR-10 platform.

.450 Bushmaster "Thumper": Think .50 Beowulf in .450, supported by both Bushmaster and Hornady. This is a "publicly supported" caliber that both companies are openly promoting to the commercial market. No word yet on reamers.

The Teppo Jutsu range of cartridges

More Punch for the AR

Feisty Rooster's 500 PHANTOM Page

Welcome to CH Tool & Die / 4D Custom Die >> reloading dies and brass, among other things

LWRC

7.62x51mm, 6.8, 5.56 Ammunition Custom Brass Cases >> .499 LWR brass

Hornady Manufacturing, Inc.

Left-right: .223, .458 SOCOM, .50 Beowulf, .499 LWR:

Does anyone have information about other .45/.50 intermediate cartridges? Please share!
    Last edited by hcpookie; 04-03-2008 at 04:27 PM.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

the 458x1.5 Barnes is one I was going to build, made from belted mag cases cut down to 1.5". I put a hold on the reamer after I heard about the 450 bushmaster.
    Tony Romix built several aks in 458 socom I posted those sites a couple years ago I heard the pics are not there anymore. I emailed Tony about the builds they were done on milled recivers and used standard AK bolts and other parts. there is a thread here some were. there is a 500 phantom and a levithan round that is pretty big as well. the socom and beowulf are classifed as pistol rounds by the way.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Tonys 458 AK is pictured in one of my posts here.
    quest for 458 SOCOM reamer hit a snag.
    I see that some of the original posts for the calibur conversons are gone now what the !@#. there was a lot of discussions on one of my first posts on the 308b conversion and it is not there. that sucks it was like 10 pages long. it was the first or second thread on this forome a couple years ago???

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

This one?

308 ak
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

While not exactly what you have mentioned there are 2 more although they are shorter. The 45 win mag (a 45acp lengthened and strengthened) and the 44 auto mag (a 308 cut back and plugged with a 44 slug)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Is there any reason that one could not bore a 50 beowulf or 450 bushmaster chamber on a lathe with a boring bar and the tool post set at the proper angel to match the taper of the case. then use a straigt reamer to cut the free bore?? there is a .450 hole to get a small boring bar into and you are only boring a 1 1/2" inch in I think the bar would be stiff enough if light cuts were used. I cant see why you would need a reamer at at all if you have enough travel on your tool post. just copu the shell and add a couple thousands or what ever is correct. I have proposed this before some were on this site. I am thinking of trying it on a scrap barrel to see. if one were to bore in to far all you would need to do is trim of the end of the barrel some. This would save a bunch of $$ if it is doable.

thanks for finding my post on the 308 build guys. I have most of it memorized but hate to lose track of it

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

biggun, I have thought of this alot too. My concern is the finish, I just dont know if I could get it smooth enough. There are articles on making reamers from grade 8 bolts.

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I have seen that site before in fact I posted a link to it a year or so ago. really good info.
    wonder if it would hurt any thing if one turned a chamber then polished it the last .0005. so as not to get it to out of wack? I know that I read some were that the finish is not susposed to be mirror smooth as you want the expanding shell to grip momentarly in the chamber. I guess it would be worth a try if you had a blank that was several inches longer than you want. you could cut it off and start over if it did not work.
    Is the 450 bushmaster ammo avaliable? I have a 458 win mag barrel that I want to try to use, it is bad on the muzzel so it would make a good 15" pistol barrel.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Biggun, the 450 bushmaster is a 451" not the 458".. sorry
    yes ammo is avail.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

huble458

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.