Gunco Forums banner

9.3 x 64 TIGR-9 or SVDK lookalike?

6K views 30 replies 9 participants last post by  allesennogwat 
#1 ·
Ok...here's a question that I hope you masters can help me with. I want to convert either a Saiga-308 or 30'06 or even a PSL into a semi that shoots the 9.3x64 cartridge and make it similar to looking like the TIGR-9 or SVDK. First off is this do-able? Second off, if so what parts do you think I need to gather to swap or modify for the build? I am in Russia now and will be for the next several months and I want to get what I need while I'm here. I was thinking for sure that I will need to get some of the TIGR-9 magazines and the flash suppressor, but what else? Your thoughts and ideas are all welcome.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Welcome!!

Is that the one I'm thinking of? The components are $5 a round. A brenneke? With about a 300 grain bullet?

There are some guys here that have done large caliber conversions that should be able to help.

Sounds like an interesting project!

#3 ·
Yeah, that's the one. Not cheap to shoot (but what is these days...lol) but really packs a punch. It's got the ballistics of a .375H&H Magnum. Quite a nice and unusual round, but much more popular over here in Russian and Europe. The are a couple of companies that produce this ammo, but it is a tad expensive. :)

#4 ·
That one isn't in my reloading manuals, so I am speculating here.

Start with the size of the round. How long is it? If it fits in an SVD/PSL mag then it would probably fit in a Saiga .30-06 magazine. I'm guessing it will be too long for a .308 magazine?

Next, look at chamber pressures. That sounds like a heavy round, heavier than a .30-06. Find out the pressure for the 9.3. My Lyman reloading manual shows .30-06 pressures hovering around the 50,000 range, with a few hot loads up to 59,000. If the 9.3 pressure is around 50,000 then you should be OK in a .30-06 conversion.

Everything else it just "making it fit"... enlarging the bolt if necessary, etc.

#6 ·
It is included in the " Cartridges of the world" Book. But no info on pressures. Other than like posted, it compares with the 375 H&H Magnum.

Cartridge length: 3.43
Base: .504
Rim: .492

Average loads for the 375 run: 62,000 psi.
Whew!
If the 9 x 64 is similar........I shoot with a Looong string!

#11 ·
That is going to be a LOT of stress placed a sheet metal reciver and rivets. I am talking recoil here not chamber pressure. looking at the balistics this thing is hotter than a 375 H&H by 300 fps. so one can only assume it is loaded to the max pressure wise. it is a good deal longer than a 30-06 as well. If you are in russia and can find parts I would try to get a hold of any 3 lug trunions and bolts you can get if it is legal. I am not sure this is a build you want to do on a AK system?? I guess the first step is to get the chamber pressure and then do the math calculating in the huge 1/2" base to get the bolt thrust. the 1/2" base is going to increase the bolt pressure over a simular pressure round with a smaller base. this is an awsome round for shooting big stuff 270 grain bullet at over 2800 fps is. that is almost as fast as a 30-06 sends a 150 GR out of the pipe. I show loads for the 06 up to around 5900 PSI this being a MAX load. If you want this kind of power why not go with a more common round like the 375 remington ultra mag? If you were to hand load and absolutly must have this round in a AK I would strongly urge you use some type of reduced loads to keep the champer pressure in the 30-06 bolt thrust ball park.

#13 · (Edited)
yeah...it's a biggie....I am guessing that the Saiga-9 was originally going to be in this round but Izhmash decided it was too much for it or required too much work to make it work and safe, so they changed the round to the 9x53R and only did the 9.3x64 in the MILLED TIGR platform. I am in Russia and I knew I would need to dig up parts for this. I just didn't know what. lol What do you think if I used a receiver like ORF M76 receiver? I don't know where to go with this, but I really think it would be a great rifle. They do import the LOS-9 I believe which is a bolt gun in this caliber from Izhmash....maybe I can source some parts from one of those too? Just ideas/questions. Thanks for all the help so far guys, and if we can come up with something that might work, I'll try and get enough parts for a few others out there if any of you would like to attempt this project with me. So PM me if you are interested.

#14 ·
THe M76 reciver would not work as the ejector would be to far forward and likley the entire reciver is way to short. that round is long. To be able to unload a unfired round the entire round has to clear the barrel before it hits the ejector. Now if you can find sime m76 parts like a trunion, bolt, or entire gun and demill it and bring it back that would be what i wouild want. I would love to have a leigal source for 308 & 8mm AK Parts especialy bolts carriers and trunions oh yea mags to. What are the gun laws like over there?? What are you doing there anyways??

#15 ·
Believe when I say I am working on parts for many projects and have located several, not enough yet to complete any of my projects....lol.. M76 is Yugo so I won't find that here....although I might go there for a small trip in which I could scrounge a bit. I do already have an M76 parts kit in the US and ORF is still selling them...(I got mine complete when they were like $300). I would buy the kit without the barrel...you get the scope (which is like $400+ by itself) plus 4 mags etc. And a guy on GB is selling original barrels or you can get one made pretty easily. Anyhow ORF is the only source for receivers at this time. I am looking for some of these good TIGR-9 parts and have in fact thought about getting a deact. and tearing it apart as a source...if I can find one for a SVDK or TIGR-9. As for why I'm here....my wife is Russian and we are setting up a new business with an office both here in Russia and one in the US. The gun laws are pretty strict. Once you get a medical exam I think for both mental and physical and a police check they give you a license to buy shotguns, after 5 years of being a good boy with your shotgun you can get a license to by a rifle. They do have some good options though if you are into Commie guns...like the VEPR 12 and Saiga K and C. And then in the rifles TIGRS, Saigas, VEPRs etc...all with most if not all of the evil features from the factory. No need to convert you Saiga...just buy the one with the pistol grip.

#16 ·
A wonderful business there would be parts, trunnions with Russian markings would go like hotcakes.

And sorry you got zapped when you first showed up. Out of Russia we mostly get spammers.

#17 · (Edited)
First off....no problem on the "zapping" of my account. I am bored and was anxious to get involved in my hobby the only way I can here (virtually). Anyhow...I talked with my contact who talked with his contact at Izhmash and he can't get me any of the TIGR-9 magazines until this "winter" (he said a couple of months) as apparently Izhmash hasn't produced that rifle for the past two years, BUT is resuming production this winter. On the plus side I was in a gun shop here today and saw some of the 9.3x64 and 9.3x62 ammo and they are impressive looking rounds. Just seeing them got me excited again on this project.

#18 ·
Looking at the pressures that HCPookie posted today it looks like I should be good to go in a Saiga .308 or 30'06 as a starter/donor rifle...at least pressure wise. I was hoping to get a mag and a round so I could see if they will fit in the receiver shell, but I guess that will have to wait a couple of months. I have a source for the folding buttstock of the SVDK, the flash hider of the SVDS, and the handguards of an SVD (which I have also seen modified to fit a Saiga-12). So the basic cosmetics are covered minus the magazine...so now I just have to figure how to make it all fit. :scared: :confused: :rofl:

#19 ·
It must be quite interesting visiting a Russian gun shop!
If we can buy Mosin Nagant 91/30 rifles here for $59.00, they must be just about free over there?
A video documentary of a Russian gun store would be super!

#20 ·
According to here:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/9-3x64mm.htm

The OAL is 3.37"

I wonder what kind of magazines you could find to fit that. A G3 mag is just under 3" and I don't know what an SVD mag is. I don't think you'd find any "high" cap mags for it, unless you got real creative with something like an MG-15 magazine or something like that. Maybe a .303 mag like a Bren mag or something could be modified.

Here is a pic of their "TIGR-9" which is chambered for this caliber. I assume you could just use their mags:

#22 ·
Hey I stumbled across this reference drawing - not sure how accurate it is but I found it on the QuickLOAD/QuickDESIGN software site:

http://www.neconos.com/CTG.jpg

ETA I see that some of the information is already posted in this thread. What I am really looking for is how "short" of a bullet can you go with them. There may be some possibilites of using .308 equipment if there is a short enough bullet.

#24 ·
Ok...bumping my own thread for reference referral. :)

I do have magazines in hand (TIGR-9) and want to get this project finally off the ground. I am thinking of using the front stub and trunnion off of a M76 as the basis for a reweld receiver.

Any thoughts on a bolt or anything else?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.