Thread: Donor rifles for a 7.62x25mm conversion...

Feedback Score

Default Donor rifles for a 7.62x25mm conversion...

I was considering either a Saiga in .223 or a WASR-2 Single stack as donor rifles for a 7.62x25mm conversion. I know the 5.45bolt will accomodate the case head of a 7.62x25mm, and the .223 might also with a small modification to enlarge it. Are there any legal issues with chopping up either of these for parts? Can I re-use the reciever after removing the trunion to add a longer bolt stop and press in the new barrel? Also, is there any reason why I couldn't tap and thread the front trunion for screws while leaving the rear trunion with its original rivets? I have never built an AK before but am very eager to try- I'm just short on heavy equiptment.

Part 2: Could a straight pull bolt action type rifle be made by simply replacing the barrel on 5.45 ak with a 7.62 x25mm barrel (and adding a magwell to feed 7.62x25mm)? I imagine this would work so long as the new barrel is in the same place as the original.

2B: Do you think a single stack 5.45 mag would feed 7.62x25mm, if the feed lips were elongated? how about double stack, or 7.62x39 for that matter?
    Last edited by Bullpup; 10-21-2007 at 11:01 PM.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Ah well thats a mouth full. You can chop up the guns as long as the parts compliance is correct (922r) when you are done. You can tap and screw the front trunnion if you like, riveting is better.
    Part 2 you could do that, or you could mod the bolt and carrier for blow back operation.

Im sure others will be along this morning with more info. Also you might want to do a search on 762x25 rifles as there are several excellent posts on these.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Also do a search on 9mm AK (or something like that), you can use the same ideas on a 7.62X25 build.

Feedback Score

sorry for the flood of questions! I have been doing alot of reading here and on other sites about 7.62x25mm and 9mm blowback builds. I was wondering if there was any concensus on which magazine was better, ppsh41 or pps43?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

If you don't want the drum option, the 43 mags are cheaper right now. Also a pps43 kit without bbl and with 3 mags can still be had for around $50-70, the magwell is easily cut off the PPS kit and welded onto the AK receiver. From the looks of the PPsH41 kits the magwell is a lot more complicated.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I have never built an AK before but am very eager to try- I'm just short on heavy equiptment.

I strongly sugest you build a Rommy kit in 7.62x39 and learn the ins and outs before tackeling a blow back conversion. not that it cant be done as a first build but there is no subsitute for hands on experiance.
    what exactly do you mean by a straigt pull bolt action rifel be built?? do you mean a AK that you cycle by hand every time you load it? If so yes you gould likely just install the 7.62x25 barrel head space it fit in a mag, deleat the gas system but you will still need the gas tube and piston as a guide and hand cycle it every shot as long as the bolt face is the same and the ejector is in the right place on the rail. There also some pump action AK out there that might work as well like that and be a little more fun to shoot. I shot my 223 varmit build 500+ rounds before I made it SA with a gas block the following year. I hade considerd a 9mm conversion that was not semi auto like that converted to pump action. so I did not have to weld up a carrier and bolt or add a bolt stop.

why not just start with a Romy parts kit kit instead of hacking up a $350 saiga that you are going to not use the barrel or mags or trigger group and have to mod reciver the reciver then convert it to pistol grip as well. if you can do a sagia conversion to 7.62x25 you should easly be able to handel a standard Rommy build.
    starting with a Rommy kit At $100 dollars plus a 100% reciver $75 or a hand bent better for a conversion $15 and adding a barrel is going to be a lot eaiser and cheaper. I suspect that you are going to change the ejector location so a prebuilt reciver is not the hot ticket. you are at the right place for advice good luck

Feedback Score

Thank you very much for your advice!

what exactly do you mean by a straigt pull bolt action rifel be built?? do you mean a AK that you cycle by hand every time you load it?
    yes that is what I meant. I thought that might be a good, less complicated stepping stone between a gas piston rifle build and a blowback operated rifle.

I've got what I believe is a romy parts kit (got it in a trade) but it is non matching and has an EG stock set instead of the romanian wood - so I'd rather have garanteed headspace, I guess I'll order a kit from DPH arms. I want to try the grasshopper jig with some tapco flats...

But what I really want is somthing like this:
    I think Getit's rifle is awesome, and 36 rounds of 7.62x25mm really appeals to me.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.