Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: MY.451 & .458 AK Ideas

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Cool MY.451 & .458 AK Ideas

Im looking at a several factory rounds that could have the rims rebated easly on a lathe or possably a drill press jig in possably a one step operation with a custom ground bit. they are all shorter than the 308 WIN overall loaded length. the first is the 444 marlin it uses the 44 mag pistol bullets . the 45-70 and the 450 Marlin (basicaly a 45-70 MAGNUM) there is also the 458x2 american and a couple of other wild cats.
    the 444 marlin brass is $45 per 100 it would alow the use of pistol bullets of 430 dia and 44magnum barrels could be rechamberd and also would use the same bullet as the new 450 bushmaster.
    the 45-70 ($42 per 100) and 450 marlin brass( $81 per 100) would use the .458 rifle bullets. I would likely rebate the rim to standard 7.62x39 dia but a 308 WIN size rim could be used and the bolt opend up if it makes the rebating process eaiser or if the smaller rebated size is to much for that case. there are loads for all these rounds from 14,600 PSI clear up to 45,000 PSI so im sure a safe load can be found. these rounds should fit in a modifed G2 mag or other 7.62x51 MAG. the 450 marlin head spaces on the magnum belt so keeping the belt and rebating it may be a little tricky. there is no need to use it anyways as the brass is way higher than the 45-70 brass and those have been loaded hot in modern guns for years. there is no reason the AK needs to be stuck with the same short rounds as the AR. rebated rimmed ammo would still use the same chamber as the factory stuff. also rebating the rim would prevent hotter factory ammo from chambering.
    the 458x2 american uses shortend magnum brass. I just know that I need to do something with this 458 win mag barrel

Feedback Score

You might want to check the inside diameters of some rimless rounds. they'ed be less hassle in a mag feed and you could just cut them off. If they are straight walled you would have to head space off the mouth. .308 looks like it might take a .45 if you cut it off at the shoulder.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I would want to head space of the case mouth like the 450 bush master and the 50 beowulf. the 284 winchester brass is used cut down to make the 450 bushmaster. A 308 round is under .458 on the OD were it necks down so it is to small. (might work for a smaller calibur however maybe a .40 cal) You are correct in pointing out that head space would need to be on the case mouth and a 444 marlin and a 45-70 chamber would need to be cut as such. and over all shell length would be more critical when loading. as far as using a belted case it may be possable to rebate it and still leave the belt for head spacing there are a number of magnum auto loaders out there that feed pretty reliably the browning BAR comes to mind. the 45-70 would have the entire rim removed of course.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Are you SURE you want to make modifications to the cartridges? I can picture the tediousness of chucking EACH AND EVERY round up on the lathe. Seems like you will go insane and start babbling to yourself after the 3rd or 4th time you have to do it.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Especially after you spun, or crushed a few in the chuck.
    Freedom is not free. Some will perish to preserve it for the many. Just as our Forefathers did before us, we must take up the battle and not waver. Victory is our only option.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Im envisioning a keyless chuck with a pin that runs out the center of it through the primer hole. the base of the pin would be .459 so when I tighten down the chuck it will keep the case from crushing the case. I am thinking a cutter could be ground that would come in at a 90 degress and cut the groove and reduce the OD in one step. Im am thinking of 15-30 seconds each once set up. I think this could even be done in a drill press if build right, for guys that dont have lathes
    It cant be worse than full length sizing with a foster hand crank cutter I did 500 rounds of 223 this summer and that really sucked.
    It would only need to be done once in the life of the case and this is a hunting deal with me so 100 round would last a long time.
    When i get a chance i am going to rebate some 7mm MAG brass and see how it goes.
    The other thing I was thinking was a 3 3/4" 410 sagia mag might be pretty close to a 45-70 round just thinking out loud here.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

This company seems to do the same thing, but for PPC target brass. I am trying to get their page to load:

http://www.sgyrifles.com/

A pic of their collet-holder-chuck-thingy is here:

http://www.6mmbr.com/6PPC.html

Feedback Score

Just out of curiosity why not use a 50 beowulf? I already is rebated to use a 7.62x39 bold and barrels are available

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Just out of curiosity why not use a 50 beowulf? I already is rebated to use a 7.62x39 bold and barrels are available[
    QUOTE][/QUOTE]

were are you finding 50 beowulf barrels at?? that are reasonably priced and not from one of Alakander arms approved dealers$$?? I wanted to get a reamer last year and it was a propatary round not avaliable. brass is very expensive .
    I really want to do a wildcat of my own and why not go with a 1.75" long round and take advantage of the AK,s less restrictive magwell. the .50 bullet selection is not as good as the .458
    It,s part ego trip/ part hey lets do something differant. I was working on a rebated 458x1.5 when a nearly identical 450 busmaster was introduced. i literaly had to call and put a stop on my custom reamer order.
    I am planing on doing a common reciver that will handel barrel assembly in 243 win,260 REM, 308win, 7mm-08REM 35 remington,358 win, and at least one BIG BORE. I may never get all of them done but I have the barrels for a bunch of them.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.