Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Loading the 7.62x39 with other bullets?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I was thinking that some padding or grinding/cutting may be in order. I will defenatlly have a shell catcher by next praire dog season. im thking of some thing that vecros on to the scope that can be removed in seconds. I just threw a towel over it last year and it worked pretty good for shoting in a prone position of a mat.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Well, I tried a few more today with the chrono.

Had the 150gr zipping along at 2100 with no pressure signs. I did have one round that went 2669? I used the scale to measure the powder for each load and checked the crimp on each one. Don't know what happened with that one.

The 174gr FMJ was going 1625fps with the starting load. It was very consistent with not more than 31fps in the extreme spread.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

2669 with a 150 grain YIKES. did that one show any pressure signs ?????.
    any problems feeding the 174 grain'ers?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

As far as I could tell the case looked like the others. It didn't mike out any different than the others and no flattened primer. Might have just been the chrono or the only other thing is that the bullet might have moved in the case.

The 174 feed just fine, but you have to seat the bullet with the cannelure below the mouth. If you seat it at the cannelure it is too long to fit in the mag. I don't know how much powder it can hold before it becomes a compressed charge, need to figure it out.

I need to get a scope mounted and then start trying to see what these can do.

123gr left, 150gr middle, 174gr right.

The 150 seated leaves about 26 grains of space which is way more than the max load even with the 95% load density rule. I'll have to measure the 174gr.
    Last edited by Gunter; 12-03-2007 at 02:16 PM.

Feedback Score

For what it's worth, I've played around with some reloading the M43 round. I've experimented with subsonic loads.

I used some bullets that I had swaged for me; 237 grains FMJ and they were partitioned. I used an accurate arms powder 12 grains would get proper function of the rifle but velocity was hovering around 1180-1200fps.
    I started out with 6 grains and planned on adding ½ grain increments. 6 grains and the bullet was stuck in the muzzle! I jumped to 9 grains and the bolt wouldn’t open far enough to eject.

That big bullet had some pretty impressive results. I fired into a muddy bank at a range of 50 yards. It left a hole that was 15” across and almost a foot deep. The round impacted 6” low at that range.

I understand that the Soviets use a 9.2mm X 39mm round for their suppressed rifles. I think I’ll stick to the 30 caliber and keep working on it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks for the info!

It's been too cold and too windy to get out in the shop and load. One of these days I'll get back at it.

I did try one subsonic load and it was WAY too hot. Sticky bolt even on an AK, brass flow, etc. That case has been put aside never to be loaded again.

ETA: Where did you find those bullets? Cast or jacketed?
    Last edited by Gunter; 01-31-2008 at 02:54 PM.

Feedback Score

We swaged them ourselves. 180 grain .308 jacket and core was the base. A 57 grain .224 swaged bullet was placed upside down on top of the .308 core just prior to the final swaging. The final product came out just great looking. I might try and locate some Barnes solids. I hear that they have a 250 grain bullet.

My concern after finding a good sub load is the twist might need to be about 1-7 to stabilize the bullet in a muzzle supressor.

I'd like to build my own suppressor, legally of course, and have it rifled also.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I have been toying with the idea of A legally suspressed AK. I figured on a custom barrel with a .308 bore (going to have to hand load anyway might as well start with a barrel that bullets are availble for) was thinking a 16" intergally suppressed barrel would be the way to go, that way it could be legal length with out the added length and weight of the added supressor. was thinking that the shorter effective length would aid in keeping the MV down to subsonic. It seems to me that getting it to cycle would be the biggest challenge. Has any one done the obvious and opend up the gas port some to see if it is a doable build??? I havent had time to study up on all the ins and outs of legal supressors and sure the hell am not going to even think about buildng one with out the required legal stuff. would be nice to know if some of the subsonic loads can be made to cycle reliably first. Are there any good sites that go into detail on legally building a suspressor?? I only am interested in legal builds. LEGAL LEGAL LEGAL

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

First let me say that I have never reloaded rifle ammo. That being said , the 7.62x39 was a cross between a pistol and a rifle cartridge. I would not use bullseye for the application as it is to fast of buring of a powder. I might try a bi powder such as 700x of 800x , both of which are good pistol and shotgun powders , a powder that might also work is unique; also which I use a lot of , and plan on using on .444 marlins and 45-70s . I would check for the differnt powder manufactures list online ( I belive that Hogdon and every other powder manufacture list recommended loads; though at times they are screwed due to differnt bullet weights). One other place to check is MD Smiths site; I believe that he might be the best site on the web , though there are plenty of other good sites to check out for possible loads.

http://www.reloadammo.com/
    MOLON LABE !!!!!

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjemin Franklin

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. -- Sigmund Freud

TO vote for the lesser of two evils , is to still vote for evil.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

1biggun you can go here:

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/in...82b29057f54932

You will have to register with a real email account then after being approved you can change it to a Yahoo, Hotmail, etc. If you search there are some threads on supressed AKs. The general idea over there is that the action itself makes too much noise. There is one manufacture that makes one in the correct LH thread for a std AKM barrel.

There is a smith section on making different supressors and baffle designs. Of course you need to have your tax stamp before making any baffles and can not have any spares around after the build.

As far as an integral barrel, I don't know how well that would work with the AK gas system. I don't think that you would want any gas ports before the gas block. The other problem is that in finding a good load, you almost need to have the can installed. A load that doesn't cycle the action without the can might cycle it with the can installed because of the back pressure in supressing the escaping gasses. If you do get one don't shoot saboted or paper patch bullets with it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.