Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How thin a barrel for .45 / .458 caliber sizes?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default How thin a barrel for .45 / .458 caliber sizes?

I'm looking real hard at the .45-70 barrel dimensions. Obviously, I'd like to reduce weight on the .45-70 as much as possible.

I'm concerned about the barrel thickness underneath an RPK gas block, which is going to be approximately .166" assuming a .458 barrel. Would that be thick enough for the mid-section of the barrel? Seems a bit thin to me. That would be OK for the muzzle, I would assume, but for that area, the gas pressure is probably still hot enough to make that small a section a problem.

Like VZ58, I'll probably make my own gas block that is thicker at the base. I have a spare gas block set aside for the build, which I plan to weld to a chunk of DOM tubing for the "base" that will go around the barrel.

I'm stumped about one thing. The article about the Dragunov (actually a PSL) in .50-110 caliber looks like it is using a Yugo gas block. If so, then that's an even thinner barrel at that part. Doesn't sound right to me.

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

My .50 barrel blank came in from Pac-Nor last week.
    I'm watching this with interest.
    I was considering the Krebs gas block / sight.
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

HC when i did my Varmit build I left the barrel at aprox 1." I Made the old rear sight block work, by cutting off the bottom were the barrel went through it and welded it to a block with a hole bored through it to fit the larger barrel it was pretty easy to do. I even went so far as to mill a groove to recess the trimmed block into it and drilled in from the side and plug wellded it so you really cant see that it was not one piece. a sleave bored to the barrel OD and then having the trimmed block welded to it would work the same. I also trimmed off the top of the
    RSB and welded in a plate to attach the scope rail to. I cant think off any other way to to make a factory RSP work. I milled a custom gas block out of solid steel. I am going to try an aluminum one on the 17-223 I am working on. I did notice that the Tromix Saiga 410 to444 Marlin build used the Saiga 410 factory parts so maybe thay would work for the slightly larger .458 bore??. I dont know of a source for Saiga RSB or gas blocks. I would love to find some 20 guage gas blocks for the heavy varmit barrels I have been useing. Personaly I would leave the barrel a little on the heavy side for 2 reasons 1. That thing is going to kick like a mother !@#$ and the weight would help reduce that. And 2. being a auto loader firing that thing rapidly is going to heat that barrel up pretty fast. the extra barrel will cope with that better as well. I would consider magna porting it as well. I hope you pull this build off. I have a 458 win mag barrel that would be perfect for a 45-70 rechamber.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

This is a very poor picture of it I made the block the same width as the reciver but you could easly reduce it to fit inside a hand guard.
    How long is your barrel going to be? and were are you getting the bolt???????

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

I was thinking of using a PSL bolt for a 45-70 build. It's allready for a rimmed base & would only have to opened up a tad.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

were do you get a PSL BOLT and how much????????????????? I got to know.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Thanks not trying to hijack thread but will this bolt fit a AK trunion??

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Yeah does it fit an ak trunnion????

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Looks like a good fit to me & I'm going to do it.But PLEASE do NOT take my word for it.I'm not nearly knowledgeable enough to give advice.
    The puzzling thing to me is that just by eyeballing, the AK trunnions look more stout than the PSL trunnion. That's what gave me confidence to try it soon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.