Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: gas powered pistols?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default gas powered pistols?

Okay, there are now gas operated AR's (be they DI or piston-powered). Several enterprising gents have built pistol caliber AK's. How about a .45acp or 7.62 TOK AK whose bolt locks up (edit: found a TOK conversion AMD Build in7.62x25 ) ? Such a beast could use standard receivers and carriers, with modified bolts and such (i.e. easier for those of us who are more-or-less technically challenged).

I'll take mine in pistol form, please.

In a related vein... would Rhino_66's M11 magwell be legal in a pistol version (I have one in my parts box)? It is not a vertical foregrip, nor does it utilize a detachable magazine installed outside the pistol grip (ATF-speak).

buckmeister
    Last edited by pirate56; 02-18-2008 at 05:48 PM.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

All ak pistols have a detachable mag that is out side the pistol grip . some states dont allow this. california for one. not sure I follow you question??

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

nice gun either way... but i like the bottom one better.
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun
    All ak pistols have a detachable mag that is out side the pistol grip . some states dont allow this. california for one. not sure I follow you question??
    The M-11 mag housing WAS a pistol grip when attached to the Mac. Is it considered a PG or vertical foregrip when used in Rhino's configuration?

buckmeister

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I understand now. very good question. since it can only be described as a GRIP since that is what it started life out as and it is forward of the rear pistol grip and is vertical I am thinking that the ATF might have a problem with it. I am thinking a letter to the atf would be the best bet. I am guessing illeagle. On the other hand what makes it differant than the mag well on a AR pistol other than it is longer HMMM

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Just get rid of the AK grip and make a "bullpup" pistol out of it, ala' the Bushmaster Arm Pistol.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink
    Just get rid of the AK grip and make a "bullpup" pistol out of it, ala' the Bushmaster Arm Pistol.
    I had considered of that. I'd like to have it as "stock" as possible... (that's funny. "Stock" on a pistol caliber AK!?).

The rear "ergo" portion of the magwell is removeable. Then, it's just a magwell. I may have to write the alphabet gang for permission.

buckmeister

Feedback Score

that mag is clearly outside the pistol grip of the rifle. There is probably just enough space under an ak trunion to add a forward trigger. link that to the standard trigger and you've got an uzi style ak pistol; however its ballance is probably strange at best.

Feedback Score

Why does your pistol caliber AK have to be gas operated? the blowback versions seem to work really well, members here and other boards have worked out the kinks pretty darn well. A gas operated pistol caliber AK needs to have the carrier weight drasticaly reduced- you need to tap the gas from the barrel very close to the chamber because of how weak most pistol cals are, and tighten up the gas tube diameter to get the most out of that little cartridge. Then once it does get working it is picky about loads and much less reliable than good ol' blowback. Think of the smallest cal. gas operated rifle: the two that come to mind are the M1 carbine and the israeli Magal. the Magal was a big flop, the m1 carbine works fine but any smaller than a .30 carbine and you are better off w/ blowback operation.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

for 7.62 x 25 you need to open the gas port to .170", cut about 25% off the recoil spring, then stretch it to the full length. then trim the hammer face to minimize it dragging on the bolt carrier. the ejector needs to be about centered over the mag. it will work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.