Thread: ppsh 41 Barrel into a Romanian Ak Trunion

Feedback Score

Default ppsh 41 Barrel into a Romanian Ak Trunion

What exactly is involved in getting the ppsh barrel into the AK trunion? I know it will need to be sleeved to match the trunions inner diameter- do I remove metal from the barrel or the sleeve or both? then I need to plug weld the two together before pressing it into the trunion, would a mig be suitable for this?

the other question I wanted to ask was- would the leftover barrel stub from a cut Ak barrel be a good choice for a sleeve? or would the crome lining inside cause issues with borring it out to the right diameter?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bullpup View Post
    What exactly is involved in getting the ppsh barrel into the AK trunion? I know it will need to be sleeved to match the trunions inner diameter- do I remove metal from the barrel or the sleeve or both? then I need to plug weld the two together before pressing it into the trunion, would a mig be suitable for this?

the other question I wanted to ask was- would the leftover barrel stub from a cut Ak barrel be a good choice for a sleeve? or would the crome lining inside cause issues with borring it out to the right diameter?
    If you have a scrap barrel stub that would be OK to use. It would have the advantage of having the barrel pin groove and the extractor groove already cut. If you don't use a barrel stub, I'd use a metal tube that has been bored out to fit.

The PPSH barrel has a lip on it I think? You'd have to either lathe the barrel stub to handle the lip, or more easily just lathe it off.

The barrel probably doesn't have to be welded to the shim, you could probably rely on pressure alone if you made it a nice press-fit. The original barrel pin will probably be going through the PPSH barrel to keep it pinned in place.

It would be fairly easy to do I think.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Going from memory here, which ain't so great.

I don't think that you want to turn the lip off the barrel. If you take a 5.45 bolt, stick a 7.62x25 in it, and insert into the barrel there is quite a gap between the bolt and barrel. Turning the lip off would only make it worse and require a rechamber which the barrel is chrome lined. On most regular AKs the gap is aroung .005-.007, but there are X25 AKs running without blowing the case head out (note this gap has nothing to do with headspace, just unsupported case area). Plus it already has that neat little feed ramp built in it.

Scrap barrel would make a good sleeve. If building a blowback the barrel will need to go in as far as it can and the barrel pin should lock everything together.

Feedback Score

Gunter, I belive Hcpookie meant to turn down the lip to the same diameter as the rest of the barrel, not to take it completely off. Now i need to find somone with a lathe.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

yep do not turn the ppsh barrel. Do all the work on the old barrel stub.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

i did a couple of them, made a bushing from crs, remove the taper from the area in front of the existing bbl stub and press it in to the bushing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score

CRS = cold rolled steel?

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.