Gunco Forums banner

.375 Ruger?

2K views 22 replies 3 participants last post by  1biggun 
#1 ·
Here's one that I started thinking about....the .375 Ruger.... Anyone have pressure data on this? This could be a fun one too. Hmmmmmmm

#3 ·
found this

http://www.chuckhawks.com/first_look_375Ruger.htm

pretty long for a AK action but if someone can make a 8mm AK then I suspose it could be done, A sagia 30-06 would be a good start perhaps but the bolt face is to small. can likely be done but it would be expensive to build and likely $30-40$ a box for ammo. I am guessing here but that looks like it is close to belted mag performace so the pressures must be in the 55,000+PSI RANGE.
there is a wild cat called the .375 Express (Waters) that is made from 444 marlin brass that I thought might be doable in a rimless version once I get my 444 marlin build done.

#4 ·
I don't know... seems like they are trying to fill in a blank in-between successful calibers. Personally, I think there are enough calibers in that class to fill all the roles that you'd expect for a heavy round like that.

#5 ·
Yes...the ammo looks to be expensive although you can handload for it. The case length fits in a standard length 30-06 action ("Hornady claims more performance than the .375 H&H, but from a standard length action. The .375 Ruger case is the same length as the .30-06 and similar cartridges, so it will work through Ruger’s standard length action, with no need to use the longer, heavier magnum length action.") and "It will fit any standard length rifle action with a standard .532" bolt face. "

The pressures though are quite high as somewhere in my head I thought I remember reading something like 63000 psi max pressure.

Anyhow...just an another idea I am/was toying with. I would just really like to build something close to magnum power in a semi action I am still planning on my 9.3x64 build too and should have the magazines in a month or two. Hopefully I can do one without blowing it and myself up....lolol

#8 · (Edited)
You need to start by finding a way to get the 9.3mm TIGRs over here, then we can play! :D

You're right! :wink:

I'm afraid that will only happen in my dreams. :sleep:

So what has been the general concensus on the max. pressure load for say a 30-06 Saiga or 7.62x54R PSL chamber? I saw somewhere that SAAMI suggested max pressure for 30-06 was 60,000 psi and 62,000 for .308. I also saw that .375 H&H is at 62,000 too. Hmmmmmmmm

I now just saw somewhere quoting SAAMI pressure for the .375 Ruger at the same 62,000.

#7 ·
#9 ·
you got to remember that the larger the base the higher the bolt thrust for a given chamber pressure. for example a 45-70 with 50,000 PSI has a lot more bolt thrust than a 223 with 50,000 PSI. I think I would pass on the 375 ruger I see a few loads listed for the 30-06 at 59,500PSI but given the larger rim and all that I personaly would be afraid to try it even on the 30-06 sagia. The other thing is if I am not mistaken the powder that hornady uses to load the 375 is a "special blend" that is not avaliable over the counter so reloading the 375 to factory loads may be impossable. I would possably consider the 375 IF I only reladed it to lower chamber pressures. but If I was going to that I might as well do a necked up 308 WIN or necked down rimless 444 marlin or some thing else that will fit in a AK platform A lot eaiser.

#10 ·
Yeah...I know (althought I think 45-70 SAAMI pressures are A LOT lower...lol)...but I understand what you are saying. I'm just tired of having nothing better than a 30-06 or 8mm coming out of an AK action. The necked down .444 may be the way to go or the necked up .308...we'll see. I'm still going to look at this more as even with a reduced load than factory this thing would pack a huge punch. I am really wanting to do my 9.3x64 though....lol At least I can get a few mags for it. I think there will be a lot of playing with trying to get something BIG and FAST working when I get home.

#11 ·
I think HC's 45-70 build should pack enough punch for satisfy most mortal men . it can be loaded to what ever one thinks is safe and beyond. the 458x2 would be another round to consider & uses a smaller bolt face. I just think the huge cost of .375 ruger brass not to mention the difficulty of building it and the added expense of all the extra parts that arn,t standard make it a build that is not worth it UNLESS you have to have a AK in that specific calibur and dont care abiout the cost. I would personally rather have a Bar browning in something like 300 win mag for the money. A 50 BMG is another that for around $1000 up starts to become more attractive as some of these more exotic AK builds start to get pricey$$$.

#16 ·
I wonder how 9x53R compares to the .358 winchester (basically a necked up 308)? I have looked at this round before as a candate for a build. it likely would be a simple barrrel change on a 308 sagia. IT is factory loaded but not real common. it will handel 200 & 250 grain bullets an most loads are under 52,000 CUP and does around 25,000 FPS with the 200 gr bullets (not bad). I can not find any info in my books or on the net on the 9 x 53r ????.

#17 · (Edited)
I believe it is basically a necked up 7.62x54r round (aka 7.62x53r). I'll try and post more info on it later.

Edited to add I saw a photo of a box of the 9x53R SP that was 15 g bullets moving at something like 650 m/s. Bigger but slow. I have the photo somewhere around here. I'll post it or the link tomorrow if I can find them. Anyhow....it's not exactly what I wanted as the round just ain't up to this project's snuff, but I am still liking the .375 Ruger idea but praying I can figure something out on the 9.3x64. I should have some 9.3x64 mags soon.

#19 ·
I think this is a lot better and more doable build than the .375 Ruger.for most bang for the buck a 308 win is hard to beat however.

IF I remember correctly the 338 is a slightly shorter version of a 338-08 wildcat. In fact 308 brass can be necked up and cut to size making it cheaper to reload. I like the round along with the 358 win and the 35 remington. I remember the pressures were a little high however. when I build my 308 I am going to do a screw build and and put several barrels on spare yugo trunions in differant caliburs and lengths going to do it in a pistol first so I can swith from any thing and everything with out having to build an entire gun for each calibure. I have like 15-20 barrels here now and there is no way I can do that many builds seperatly. I have an idea for a quick change reciver.

.338 Federal Rifle Cartridge

Reloading The .338 Federal

#21 ·
the 243,260 REM, 7-mm08,308win,338 FED,358win plus untold wild cats all should be doable. I would lean more to the 358 win if heavy brush hunting was the goal. I personaly would start with a bulged Yugo trunion for a 308 Based build (all the above rounds use the 308 as the parent brass) others have built on rommys but the extra protection cant hurt. I plan on reloading for whatever I build and plan to keep the champer pressures at 50,000 0r less. I wish I could buy a 100% reciver minus the LH rail(308 build requires moving the ejector back) for a yugo fixed stock. I can bend my own or do a bent blank but I think I want to do a registerd build for once as this might get sold off down the road. I supose I could just buy a 100% yugo reciver drill out the spot welds and replace the rail. want it as a pistol first

A 308 sagia with just a barrel change is another way to go. could be done for aproximently $200 over the price of the gun. cant be made into a pistol

#23 ·
Ok....here's one other thought too... the 338-06...use a Siaga 30-06 as a base and have at it.
Should work as long as the 338-06 round is the same length and the larger bullet DIA dosent affect the way it feeds or fits in the mag. I have a buddy who has a 338-08 in a bolt action swears buy it. would be a little better on larger game Hard to beat the original 30-06 IMOA I have several got my first one when I was 12. Always said if I cant kill it with my o6 I shouldnt be shooting at it.
pretty pricy way to go. with the cost of the Saiga 06 and the barrel work plus coversions costs. there are a lot of alteranitves like the browning bar or other auto loaders. would be a cool build however

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.