Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: 44????

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Yeah that "over expanding" part of the expanding die is what I'm talking about - cut that point back closer to the threads so the tip of the expander can reach deeper into the cartridge to open it up deeper.
    thinking back on this some more the whole reason I had to expanf with a mandral in the first placewas because the original expander in the 444 marlin dies was way to big to just open up the 30-06 case and would crush it. I had to open the mouth sligtly to get the expader started. other than that it would have formed brass as is but with a hour glass area past were the bullet was seated.

Yep, one of the things we need to decide on is the length of the case. I also think that it would be best to cut the chamber and throat in two different operations. I was looking at Clymer yesterday and they don't show a throater for the 44 mag. So everything might need to be special made.
    I agree 100% this will allow barrels to be custom made for specific bullets by adjusting the leed.

I saw .430 throaters some were and they were only like $30. i think they use them in forcing cones and cylinders on revolvers. they must be avaliable as guys play with .44 rifles a lot.

Looking at the 45acp at the mouth there is only .001 clearence and .003 at the base. Like you said just switching to Mil-spec cases might result in a round not chambering.
    a simple inside neck turning would take care of this should it a rise. I persoanly plan to use Reminton brass as I have a few boxes to play with. However before I were to buy a reamer I would definatly want to try a buch of differant cases and see what has the thickest cases and try to design around that I would also be open to input before ordering a reamer. Commercial cases make the most sense to me because they allow the most case capacty. HOWEVER the thicker the neck for head spacing the better. Is there any cheap military 30-06 once fired brass out there for sale??? I know there is a lot of 308 stuff and it should be considerd for use as well but will likely require aneailng.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

THROATING REAMERS at Brownells

444 marlin throater on sale some were I saw them cheaper

more
    REVOLVER CYLINDER THROATING REAMER at Brownells

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I swear Clymers site didn't show a 44 throater. LOL.

A 444 Marlin die set and a Lee factory crimp 444 is on the way. If we can do this without trimming the dies, that would be better.
    "Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in."

"Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets."

Napoleon Bonaparte

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

You will have to neck ream - just did one and the case wall is twice as thick as the factory brass. I'll start another thread to keep from derailing this one.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

A 444 Marlin die set and a Lee factory crimp 444 is on the way. If we can do this without trimming the dies, that would be better.

cool I would like to know how the crimp works before buying one. the crimp is hopefully the only thing that may need to be trimmed. good news is there reasonably cheap. lee will custom make you one as well.

you know it would be possable to buy/have made a CHAMBER reamer that did a short throat for a specific bullet the shortest one we would consider and then seperatly neck ream it deeper for other stuff. that way a guy could shoot the chamber as is and then open it up for other stuff later. I like the idea of one reamer cutting the lip for the head space and the start or most of the throat all at once. just thinking out loud here.

If i was the only one interesed in this I would likely just copy a 444 marlin throat length and be done with it. the 265 GR hornady is what I want to shoot mainly but I would like to play with cast lead and other lighter bullets. If the hornady people would get off there ass and sell the pointed bullets they make for there own ammo this would really wake this round up. or just a good jacketed softpont pointed rifle hunting round.

i know a guy who bought one of those new marlin leveractions in a hornady wonder round to find out he cant buy bullets to reload for it. He is pissed off big time!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

The dies showed up, but the barrel won't be here till next week.

The crimp die will not work as is. Both the outside and inside pieces will need to be trimmed. Might be easier to use a 44mag crimp die with a spacer. Anyone know how to get a Lee crimp die apart or can it come apart?

The 444 dies are Lee also. Didn't mess with the FL die. The expander is just a turned sleeve that shouldn't be to hard to make a longer one on the lathe. The expander on the 44mag die is .424 and the one for the 444 is .426 and tapers to .430. Probably will make two different sizes of expanders to expand the case a little at a time in each step. The seating die also could probably just use a longer stem to seat the bullet. Again something that shouldn't be to hard to crank out on the lathe.

I went to Sportsman's Warehouse the other day to see about picking up some Leverlution ammo. Nothing in 44mag or 444 Marlin. I did pick up some 300gr Speer bullets to see how they work.
    "Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in."

Napoleon Bonaparte

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I had to clean a 223 taper crimp die. I used a wooden dowel inserted in the top of the die to push the internal sliding part out of the bottem. It just had a raised ring on the collet part that rested against a recess in the die body to keep it from comming out. I don't know if the 444 taper crimp dies and the 223 dies are made the same though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks Moleman, I'll give it a try.

Napoleon Bonaparte

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Here's a picture of the collet taken out of the die body. You can see the wire ring that holds it in place.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Im not certain we will need to crimp but it would be nice if we could. im pretty sure a custom crimp die can be obtained from lee. the rounds I did the bullet fits pretty tight. hope fully the crimp die can be cut down.

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.