Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: 44????

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunter View Post
    The reason I cut it at 1.700 is that is the length that the 44 Ballard Extra Long
    A .30-06 case will cut nicely to 2 inches. A .308 case will cut to 1.75, or 1.7 if you want to avoid all the shoulder.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

A .30-06 case will cut nicely to 2 inches. A .308 case will cut to 1.75, or 1.7 if you want to avoid all the shoulder.
    the over all length of the case in this project is dictated by length of the mag. in this case a 1.70- 1.840 is all you can use and still have room to properaly seat a bullet.

for a longer 2"+ .44 build see my 444 marlin rimless project based on a cut down 30-06 case(on hold due to the work being done on this build).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Okay, did some measuring with the 300gr Speers and 1.7, 1.8, or 1.84 would work and still be within the 2.200 OAL spec. I think that any one of the three should cover most of the 44 magnum pistol bullets out there. The Leverlution bullet (if they are ever released for reloading) probably would not stay within the 2.2 spec with any of the case lengths.

So which one is it going to be? 1.7, 1.8, or 1.84????
    "Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in."

"Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets."

Napoleon Bonaparte

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

well I was considering buying a box of the leverlution ammo. or possably just take the calipers to the store and ask if it was ok to measure because ammo is not returnable and I want to make sure it will fit my Mag.( a half lie) I suspect that they will get released and the hornady web site says eventualy they will. I am also looking into swedging some 458 bullets down if possable. custom made bullets are not completly out of the picture also.
    the biggest bitch I have heard about the 450 bushmaster is it uses a pistol bullet instead of a true .458 rifle bullet. it would be nice if the 444???? Super Gunco Express Special Racnor Thunder Magnum Mach 11 didnt have that problem. LOL

I want the most powder capacity we can get and a secondary reason is ever notice how much rounds rattel in the mag from the extra space. really pisses me off when trying to sneak around with my hunting pistol. Ill post a thread in the general fire arms discussion are to see if any members have any of the leverlution ammo.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

you know it occured to me that a .458 dia reammer would allow you to extend the neck area of the chamber later on.for example chamber it at 1.8 (45.73mm) and if the bullets are to long down the road simply extend the neck part of the chamber and adjust the throat with the reammer we will already have. the neck is straight as far back as the bullet is seated so extending that area out will not affect the original chamber. head spacing of the old ammo would no longer be any good.

Im thinking that a combination of a .431 throater a .458 necking reamer and the remander of the chamber bored at the correct taper on a lathe could make this chamber with out a special chambr reamer. the taperd portion is only aprox 1.30 long and has aprox .010 of taper in that distance. it could almost be done with a sanding roll and a die grinder. (I know it would not be match grade but it could be done) the 458 neck reamer would make a good rougher also. I could also use all the two straight reamers on my 444 rimless marlin project down the road as well as any other varaiton.

I see it going like this 1. ream a pre set distance with a straight 458 reamer (wonder what a 44 mag reamer measures at) this will give the finished neck area.

2. ream the throat this will give the finished throat and also the ledge for the head space.

3. then bore in the correct distance with a boring bar set at the correct angle on the tool post the aproxment 1.30 this will give the correct taper and finish the chamber.

one could likely have the taperd boreing go clear to the mouth but the brass in reality will only be taperd to were the bullet is seated. you would still be only streaching the brass aprox .005 (less than a 7.62x39 neck in a military chamber)

Or pony up $150 and buy a chamber that does it all and be done with it in one step (can always extend the throat later) a throater is $50

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Looking on the net there are some reviews on the 30-30 that breaks it down. The cannelure is way up on the bullet and it appears that they keep it to the standard length of the 30-30 round. If they did this with the 44 magnum then it should still be the OAL of a standard 44 mag round. So, they might work with no problems. If someone had some of the 44 or 444 and get the measurements that would help.
    Last edited by Gunter; 10-27-2008 at 05:24 PM.
    "Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in."

Napoleon Bonaparte

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Im guessing that trimmed 30-06 brass is thicker than 44mag.

heres a good link on reamer stuff

$40 for throating reamers $50 for a necking& throating reamer. the throating necking reamer is interesting because it would be good for a 444 marlin rimless or even a longer round like a full length 30-06 case opend to .44

http://www.mansonreamers.com/January...%20Catalog.pdf

are the hornady leverlution bullets the same weight for the 44 mag and the 444 marlin???

ALSO WAS THINKING THE THROATING REAMER COULD BE USED FOR COUNTER BOARING THE MUZZEL FOR A MAGNAPORT TYPE DEAL OR FOR REAMING A SCREW ON BRAKE

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

.44 auto mag cases can be made from 30-06 and 308 cases. A search on how to make the auto mag might help you out as it lounds like you're sorta making a longer 44 auto mag?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

44magnum Lever Evolution is a 225gr and the 444 is a 265gr IIRC.

The 44automag was inside reamed to keep the bullet from moving back during recoil and feeding.

I posted over at the other forum asking questions on Ken Howell's 444 rimless. Was it inside reamed, tried in an auto-loader, etc., with no responses. From his threads it appears that he is just using standard 444 Marlin dies with no inside reaming. Which is less work and I don't want to ream if it is not needed.

I would think that first we need to set a spec and method so that anyone can produce the same case. Then load some dummy rounds and test for bullet walk. I would hate to make/have a reamer made and chamber a barrel only to find out that it needs to be inside reamed which would change the OD of the case mouth. Then we would get to start all over again.

Napoleon Bonaparte

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

.44 auto mag cases can be made from 30-06 and 308 cases. A search on how to make the auto mag might help you out as it lounds like you're sorta making a longer 44 auto mag?
    they require inside neck reaming, which valadates my thoughts that the brass is much thicker than a normal 44 mag or auto mag case.

I don't want to ream if it is not needed.
    agreed Im not sure if there is much military brass out there for sale any more???????
    for this project to be viable to shoot cheap (the whole reasson for not building a 450 marlin or a 458 socom) is the avaliabilty of cheap once fired and easily avaliable new brass. I likely will want to nust use new remington or some other cheap comercial brass. the thinner wall will allow for more powder and still be pleanty strong. I see remington and winchester used for sale quite a bit.

there will be no need to inside ream if the reamer made for what ever brass we plan to use. It would be good to know how much thicker other brass is from remington. how ever the looser we make the chamber to allow for thicker necks the worse the accuracy and area that is avaliable to head space off of. dont forget that if you were to find a hughe amount of military brass you could always enlarge the neck or inside turn the brass. other than the neck the rest will still be the same regardless of brand as it will be sized the same from the dies. IT WILL BE EASIER TO ENLARGE A NECK OR THROAT AREA IN A CHAMBER THAN MAKE IT SMALLER LOL

44magnum Lever Evolution is a 225gr and the 444 is a 265gr IIRC.
    INTERESTING THE 225 BULLETS IN THE 444???? WILL HAUL ASS!!!. i CAN SEE IT BEING A 200-300 YARD GUN. IMOA. IN A BOLT ACTION WERE WE CAN RUN THE PRESSURES UP TO 308 OR HIGHER PRESSURES THIS ROUND WILL LKELY BE EQUAL TO OR BETTER THAN A COMERCIALY LOADED 444 MARLEN DUE TO THE MARLINS LOWER SAMMI PRESSURES.

WE NEED THESE BULLETS. IT WOULD ALMOST BE WORTH PULLING THEM FOR HUNTING APPLICATIONS. i CAN BELIEVE THAT SOME ONE ELSE HAS NOT STARTED MAKING SOME THING SIMULAR.

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.