Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: 44????

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I started working on this again I got my 1 1/4" OD non concentric blank in the lathe and after a lot of shaking of the entire lathe I finally got it round but it was a job. I made a pilot and then used a dog to drive the barrel and just used the live center on the other end. Im pretty sure im with in .0005 on the run out but it really wont matter to much if its a little more. took about 3 hours to get it done. Im concerned about the amount of stress imparted from all the cutting and all that stuff wonder if the barrel is even straight any more. Im going to try to cut the chamber with a boring bar after I use a piolted reamer to cut the bullet leade/ free bore. whats the worst that can happen? This will be a while untill I can aford the reamer for the bullet leade.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

hold the barrle up to the cloudy near the sun. SIght the bore, you will be surprised at how accuratelty the eye can detect a bent bore.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

there is alot to be done yet before it comes out of the lathe. it takes a lot of time to cut it slowley enough to keep the temps down. I will be cutting of both ends before the final profile as i suspect the ends are likely a differant ID now from all the metal being cut away.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I see hornady now has the 44 bllet in a 225gr. that will help the recoil some and give it more speed and flatter trajectory. I really need to get this project done.
    Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Bullets :: Handgun :: Choose by Bullet Type :: FTX

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Well its been 4 years an I have started looking at this project again. Im not sure here so go with it. Im basiacly held up on the chamber I know it will work just need to finish it. the barrel is profiled

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Do you have a chamber drawing done? If so we can make a chamber reamer.
    Last edited by moleman; 09-08-2012 at 08:29 AM.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Oddly enough, I was just thinking about this project. The ???? is basically a stretched .44 Auto Mag.

I've seen a couple of AR builds in .44 Auto Mag, which is the same basic thing as the ????. except shorter. Starline makes Auto Mag brass, or you can cut down .308 brass and ream the neck. Hornady .44 AMP die sets are about $70, but the RCBS neck reamer rig is steep.

The original .44 AMP literature claimed a 240 grain bullet at 1600 feet per second. The factory later backed off to 240 grains at 1250 fps, apparently due to the hot load battering the pistol. There were never any SAAMI specs for the .44 AMP, so reloaders generally kept loading them up until something broke.

Now, interestingly, the .30 Carbine is 1.65" long. So is the .50 Action Express. One of the "build an AK" booklets I found long ago had a .50 AE build using .30 Carbine magazines; the author said it worked fine.

If the mag feeds a .50AE it should feed a .44 AMP too. They're the same length. So is the AMT 10mm Magnum (NOT the 10mm Auto!). The .45 Winchester Magnum is a bit shorter, as is the 9mm Winchester Magnum. And there are a bunch of wildcats of Auto Mag length - .22, .25, and .30 Lomont, .300 Auto Mag, .41 Jurras Magnum, .475 Auto Mag, .40 KMP, and 8mm KMP (which uses unmodified 8mm Kurz brass). And, of course, the .357 Auto Mag...

.30 Carbine mags came in 10, 15, 20, and 30 round capacities.

I know, it's not directly related to the ????, but this was the best place I could think of...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

ill be off line for a or two to adress internet provider issues . when i get back Id like to maybe work on a reamer idea as well as oter issues on this round

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I know we can get a reamer done for you. Straight walled case reamers aren't hard to make. Here's a couple reamers I made recently for a custom bushing die set. The chamber reamer will look about the same, only with a case mouth step and rifling leade. Included is a basic drawing of a reamer blank that I spoke about in the PM. The case body length area needs actually be longer than the case is, and the freebore area is going to work out to be around .150" long or so and .431" diameter. You can also make the pilot shorter if you want, but I would keep it at least .5" long.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

i need to decide if i want some more taper in the chamber or not. Its should be the same as a 444 marlin reamer except shorter an the area were the bullet seats ( neck ) would be straight. im using 444 dies so there is no reasint he chamber would be to much differant. I likely will need a special die also or at leat a way to or form the neck section seperatly down. Im still thinking a pas through a 444 marlin die would do an intial resising an then just size the very end with a 44 mag die possably honed out to compensate for the thicker neck. i cant recall what happpend to using a lee factry crimp die in 444 marlin witht he bottom shaved off? i need to go back an read.

the 410 has a barrel shroud that extends past the breach to allow the rounf to tip up high then be guided down . im not sure if this would beed ok or not. were trying to stick a bllet in a holt thats only about .010 bigger than the cases OD. it might be a bitch toi get it to feed ok.

a shroud could be duplicasted or even pressed on a non shrouded barrel or some thin or even added to the inside of the dust cover . bit the bolt has to clear it an the 410 bolt is a little differant from a standard ak bolt.

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.