Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: 44????

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

1biggun, case expansion isn't going to be as much of an issue as case neck thickness, both have easy fixes. The necks just need to be turned or reamed, once they are brought up to size. Just make a set of expanders like I did for the 357AR to bring 223 cases up to 357.

The two case expander stems jus fit inside of a lee powder through expander die and force the case open in two steps from .224" to .357". If you're going below the shoulder it should be muchc easier and you shold have fewer lost cases.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I HAVE A EXPANDED ALREADY MADE AT ONE POINT AN IT WORKED OK. I NEEDED I PROFILE IT TO COMPENSATE FOR THE BRASS BEING THICKER AT THE BOTTOM. EVEN IF ITS NOT EXPANDED ALL THE WAY DOWN AN YOU GET A HOUR GLASS LOOK IT WILL STILL CHAMBER AN FIRE. THAT WILL BLOW IT STRAIGHT. ITS LIKELY YOU MAY NEED TO INSIDE REAMS TO REMOVE THE TAPER IN THE BRASS AT THE NECK . THE BULLET MAY SEAT OK OR NOT. ID LIKE THE BRASS AS THICK AS PPOSSIBLE TO GIVE MORE TO HEAD SPACE OFF OF. IM GOING TO GET BUNCH OF 308 ONCE FIRED BRASS (LOOKING FOR A GOOD DAY SOURCE BTW) TO USE IN MY 6MM BR PROJECT SO I SHOULD HAVE SOME TO PLAY WITH.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Moleman, I must have missed your 357AR thread. Where did you post it?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    Moleman, I must have missed your 357AR thread. Where did you post it?
    TRX, I just posted a little thread on it here. http://www.gunco.net/forums/f255/357...00/index3.html The bulk of the design and resurch was done on weaponsguid in a thread called 357 maximun barrels, and another titled 357AR build. I just got home from getting 2 disks fused so when I have time I'll move some of it over here to go over the whys and hows a bit better. Alot of the isues I had I can see others having with their straight walled cartridges. I had hoped to take it deer hunting this year as I think it should make an excellent deer cartridge out to 250yds or so. I'll have to wait till next year for that though.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I just got home from getting 2 disks fused so when I have time I'll move some of it over here to go over the whys and hows a bit better. Alot of the isues I had I can see others having with their straight walled cartridges

I REALLY HOPE YOUR SURGERY HELPS YOU AN MAKES YOUR LIFE BETTER. MAN YOU GOT OUT OF THE HOSPITAL FAST. HOWS IT FEEL SO FAR? BESIDED I BET IT HURTS LKE HELL.

DONT SWEET MY ROUND IT WILL BE A WHILE BFORE I GET IT GOING. I HAVE A YOUTH GUN TO HELP FINSH AN TIME IS RUNNING OUT.

THE 444? RUNS THE SAME TAPER AS A 444 MARLIN (OR THATS HW i MADE MINE) MY MAIN CONCERN WOULD BE THAT THE BRASS IS UNIFORM IN THICKNESS WERE THE BULLET IS SEATED. I NEED TO SECTION A FEW DIFFRANT CASES AN SEE WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE AT AROUND THE 1.5" MARK.

IM SURE IF I RAN THEM INTO MODIFED 44MAG OR SIMULAR TTIM DIE OR A 444 MARLIN TRIM DIE POSSABKLY CROUND DOWN OR A HOME MADE TRIM DIE MADE FOR A SIZING REAMER THEY COUD EASLY BE INSIDE REAMED STRAIGHT . OR i COULD LIKELY JUST CHUCK THEM UP IM MY CASE TRIMMER AN AN INSIDE REAM THEM STRAIGHT.

MIGHT EVEN BE ABLE TO SET IT UP SO THERE IS A SHELF TO SEAT THE BULLET ON SO IT CANT BE FORCED BACK UNDER RECOIL OR FEEDING ??????

AKS CAN BE REALLY AHRD ON BULLET TIPS DURING FEEDING.

I WONT BE HAPPY IF THE ROUND CANT DO A 1" GROUP AT 75 YARDS IN A GOOD BARREL. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW THE BARREL I MADE FORM A UNTURNED BLANK THAT HAD A VERY OUT OF CENTER BORE WILL SHOOT. i TOOK A LOT OF METAL OFF OF IT AN I HAVE NO IDEA HOW UNIFORM THE BORE STILL IS OR HOW MUCH STRESS THERE IS IN IT . IF I WERE TO DO IT OVER AGAIN ID BUY A BETTER BLANK OR STARTING POINT.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

1biggun, Not my first back surgery, but this one was quiten a bit more involved. I was back in a treestand after six weeks last time, this time tehy're telling me I'll be able to start pt after 6 weeks. The surgery took 4.5hrs and they had 2-2.5 planned for it. Hopefully they got it right this time. I was supposed to come home tues, but they wouldn't let me go till yesterday. Anyway, it'll be a while for I'm able to make ot back out to the shop or type a completescentence without totally butchering it.

The 444 marlin cases should work nicly and if not a custom die isn't real hard to make either. The case taper can be addressed with reaming or turning and isn't hard. Here's a trial case I made without thinning the neck. You can see it has a bulge at the bullet base. Thats just extra material that can be removed to end up with a nice tapered case. In the second pic I push a case onto the arbor once its centered in trhe 4-jaw and turn the neck to the desired diameter, light poloish and you're done. The same could be done with reaming.

EDIT: the shape of the arbor is important. In the pic it is bullet sized, so I just turn the necks to .380" (IIRC) to just below where the bullet base would be. I have scratched a line on the mandrel to know how far to push the brass onto it and tapered the front of it. I check up the mandrel in the 4-jay and indicate on it till it tuns true as beast as I can measure at .0005". To remove the bump in the shoulder from the 223 cases I'm using I run the roller tool from the bullets base and over the bump towards the case mouth, but not over the case mouth as it will flair it out. Usually when you get close to the case mouth the case will stop spinning on the arbor as it has enlagarged slightly in diameter, the tool post can be backed off and the case can be pulled off easily. Then resize it and back on the mandrel with a cutting bit in the tool post. The arbor is .357" diameter and slightly longer than bullet diameter so I push the cases on evenly to the scratch mark (ring) I just trun the case from the the case mouth to the bullet base. Once the cutter is over the tapered tip of the mandrel it will wopen up the case neck slightly and start making a lighter cut. remove the cutter quickly or you'll get chatter like cuts fromt he case wobbeling around on there. I run a couple passes over them with a brown scotch pad to polish the slightly, resuze, final trim and preload away! Hope that helps out with a couple of the questions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by moleman; 09-14-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

HANG IN THERE . IM GOING TO DRAG OUT THE BARREL AGAIN SEE WERE I LEFT OFF.

IM A LONG WAYS FROM THIS . IM TRYING TO GET A 6MM BR TYPE ROUND DESIGNED AN IN OPERATON.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    Do you have a chamber drawing done? If so we can make a chamber reamer.
    I'm looking at the specs for the .444 Marlin and .30-06 now. The Marlin base is .4706, the '06 .471. Marlin case 2.25, '06 2.494.

You could probably rent a .444 reamer for $35 and run it in an extra quarter inch, BUT it would need to have a square step at the front since you'd be headspacing there. I've seen drawings for similar (rimmed, straight case) chambers with both square and beveled shoulders, so you'd want to call or e-mail before renting a reamer.

If you shortened the case to fit in a .308 AK mag or 8mm Yugo mag, the build would basically be a barrel, bolt face mod if needed, and you could rock and roll...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

???? Running a 444 marlin ins extra amount will make a chamber way way to long. The 444? Is. about 1.80 long not 2.5" long.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Yarrgh, that's what I get for looking in the wrong column...

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.