Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Thread: 44????

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I found this nugget while reading that thread -

"Ken Howell's book Custom Cartridges lists it as the .444 Marlin Rimless (aka .425 Rimless Express.) Basically, a .30-06 basic case trimmed to 2.225" (same length as the .444) Headspaces on the mouth just like a .30 Carbine."

Interesting, no? That would eliminate a great deal of effort. ".30-06 basic" brass. I wonder if that means untapered. I know the "45 basic" brass is what .45-70 is made from, it is trimmed down to size to make .45-70. Where to find "basic" brass is the question.

Also this:

"The 10.75x57 Mannlicher was chambered in both the 1888 and the 1898 Mausers.

The 10.75x57 was the 8x57 expanded to .424 bullet diameter,it was introduced around 1900 and became obsolete within a few years.Measurements were base .468,shoulder .465,and the neck was .448.

It is believed that headspacing problems were responsible for it's being dropped from Mauser's line of chamberings.Feeding problems and the fact that it was underpowered for the game it was used on may have contributed to it becoming obsolete."

That's another option - use 8mm brass. The 8mm base is very close to a .308/.06 base and in some cases (if not all) the bolts are interchangeable. A neck of .445 should work for for a .45 build as well... slight reaming and it would be perfect.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunter View Post
    Has anyone heard of sealing problems when going over the 36,000 psi (SAAMI 44 mganum) with straight walled cases?
    I have not. The .45-70 max loads for heavy rifles approach 40-50,000 CUP depending on whose loads you reference.
    Plus the 44 Ragnarok might need to be inside reamed to a depth like the 44 automag to keep the bullet from walking in under recoil.
    Crimping is another solution to ensure no bullet walking. I would like this more than reaming because I'd be concerned about long-term brass flow, and the possible need for additional future reaming if the case were to expand after repeated firings. But maybe I'm being too analytical about it?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Now to blow our minds a little more.... how about a .243 WSSM necked up and rebated rim?

medium bore wssm's! - Topic Powered by eve community

I think that the one in the pic is a 45 ACP bullet. That would give us a shoulder. Wonder how the chamber wall thickness would hold up in an AK sized barrel?

ETA: Way OT but funnier than hell:

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Has anyone heard of sealing problems when going over say 20-25,000 psi with straight walled cases? Plus the 44 Ragnarok might need to be inside reamed to a depth like the 44 automag to keep the bullet from walking in under recoil.
    I cant see why this would be a problem! The 44??? will be nothing more than a 444 marlin but shorter with no rim. the 444marlin is loaded to aprox 45,000 psi does not have to be inside reamed or have sealing proplems. perhaps the longer full length 06 case will have more problems due to less taper over a greater length?? the 50 beowulf is pretty straight and I dont think the 450 BM is inside reamed to keep the bullet from moving back.
    I hope to design my 44??? to crimp on the groove on the 265 GR bullets that I have. My biggest concerns are getting that big flat bullet to feed into the barrel with out jaming or binding the breach ID is only .035 larger than the bore. it is going to need to go in pretty straight.
    A .375 version keeps looking more atttractive to me

My 44 mag dies should be here any day. and I have a barrel blank, but that is susposed to be for the 444 rimless but I have been thinking the shorter 44 might be just as good and work on a standard reciver. plus if it is a bust I can always rechamber to the longer 444 rimless down the road. It looks like all I can turn on centers in my lathe is 19" so that is what any of my 44 builds will be with the numrich blanks will be limited to.
    the 99 dollar Question is who is going to step up and be the first to buy ,build, or bore a sussceful 44??? reamer or chamber

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I think the WSSM necked up and fully loaded would excede the safe threshold of the AK(what ever that is) not to mention the amount of barrel it would displace as HC pointed out. If I recall correctly the levithan series of ammo used various WSSM necked up and cut down for the mini 14,s. Of course you could down load the WSSM wild cat but then you might as well stick to cut down 30-06 brass IMOA.
    I read the link about the rimless 444 posted by gunter and relized that it basicaly said the same stuff that I had been saying about the head spacing and using 444 marlin dies on 06 brass. I am starting to think a phone call to some one like Z hat might be a wise decision at this point. I feel if the 450 bushmaster will feed and headspace in a AR then the 44??? should be doable in a AR and likely a AK as basical the 44?? is just a slightly smaller ID version.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Another thought -

You could use 7mm brass since it is not only the same rim size as .308, but it is slightly longer and would probably require no I.D. reaming when cut at the shoulder...

http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd7mauser.jpg

vs. 308:

http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd308winchester.jpg

The good thing is that 7mm mauser brass is relatively easy to find, and you can even find once-fired brass at several places.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I was thinking that the 30 benchrest brass might work for a .375 or .41 build necked up and still fitting in a AK mag. its pricy. but about the right length

Do you have a link to the 7mm mauser once fired brass?? I have a M98 with a shilen barrel that I need to load for.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I've ordered from these guys before... I recommend them and will be buying from them again:

Once Fired Rifle Brass

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

$18.22 for 100 30-06 cases is not to bad. the 7mm is a little pricey though. what suprised me was the 06 was cheaper than the 308 ??????.

I got my 44 mag die set today it is a 4 die set so i am going to have to figure whats up with that. I think one die is a odd ball seating die unmarked and is square at the top??? going out to cut some 06 brass up now.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

4-die sets usually include a crimping die.

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.