Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Thread: 44????

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Im not sure of the clearance needed for a round like this. the more clearance the easyier it will feed BUT the less accurate it will be and the more the brass will get worked. I figure it would be very wise to consult a reamer manufacturer at that point. I am thinking also that IF I have a reamer made I may have it done with out a throat and ream the throat seperatly with a $30 throating reamer that way I can adjust barrels down the road to work with differant seat depths and free bore dimensions.
    By the way I did not have to aneal the rounds made from 30-06 it was once fired remington brass. The 308 brass I have is military and the base is slightly bigger .469 vs .465 of the 06 brass. 308 brass could likely be used if the neck and throat were anealed and expanded straight as the neck area will be needed. just thought it was worth mentioning.
    I also made one round out of some 270 brass and it was the same as the 06.
    the beauty of this round is that any casing with a .465-.470 base can be made to work if it is 1.850 or longer. making it easy to find brass and a lot cheaper to shoot than the 450 BM 458 SCOM 50 BEOWULF!!!
    the only down side to this round is limited bullet selection vs the .458 and a very slight powder capacity loss. From what I can tell the other round like the 458 scom are clasifed as pistol round are not that HOT to begin with so I dont expect to see much differance in MV and energy. in fact the 44 is likely to have a better MV especially with the lighter bullets it CAN use that the others cant.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

ETA - the Clymer site should have reamer specs for .444 marlin. Get those, compare to a reloading manual's cartridge diagram. There's your spec.

I just noticed the Clymer reamer site is "under construction" again

http://www.clymertool.com/design/index.html
    Last edited by hcpookie; 04-11-2008 at 11:08 AM.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

The BBT dropped off the 223 single stack and it is a no-go. The front is way too narrow. Back looks great but no way you could get the round in there without major rework. Oh well it was worth a try.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Bummer. I am thinking of just shorting a 308. or sguare tubeing. A double stack steel 223 mag would be a better canidate. the fit in the poly mags almost like a single stack but the lips are to wide to keep it from poping out.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    Bummer. ...the lips are to wide to keep it from poping out.
    Wait....ummmm....what are we talking about here?

;-)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

The round will single stack nicely in a double stack 223 mag but the width of the the lips is slightly to wide to hold the round in place.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    The round will single stack nicely in a double stack 223 mag but the width of the the lips is slightly to wide to hold the round in place.

Yeah....I knew what you were saying....I was just failing at making a bad joke.....

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

yea I thought that might be the case wasent sure.

I was at a cabelas store today they had some 450 busmaster ammo behind the counter. I got to take a look at it I saw no crimp on it. it looked pretty much like the 44??? but smaller and a slightly rebated. nothing remarkable.
    also got got to check out a new rugger 10-22 pistol on sale at $299 might have to get one down the road.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

44??? in a G3 mag fits good but mag is to long This would be a cheap starting point Im thinking about just cutting a section out of one and welding it back together and using a AK spring or a AR spring. capacity would be the same as the original G3 what ever that is. I am still a very concerned about getting that bullet in to the barrel

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Looks nice. I don't think I'd be too worried about the extra space, because these rounds should not tilt the follower. So long as the tip clears the front of the mag and hits the feed ramp, you'll be OK. I adapted G3 mags to work, but it takes some filing to get it just right.

Are you going to ream the inside to get more powder capacity?

Also, I used steel mags and was able to spot weld the locking lugs. Not sure if aluminum brazing would work for the alloy mags. Something to think about.

ETA: G3 mags hold 20 rounds. If you need to squeeze the magazine feed lips to force the mag into a single-stack configuration for feeding purposes, then you'll lose a couple rounds in capacity.

Also, I was thinking more about the feeding of the straight-walled cartridges. I am working hard at making my 45 Win Mag feed doulbe-stack and I think I can do it with reasonable reliability. The trick is to get the rounds set back away from the locking lugs enough that there is ample room for the round to "line up" in front of the bolt before it gets to the breech. In other words, set the front of the bullets back away from the locking lugs. If you do cut the magazine down some, you could make that happen.

You could also do like VZ58 and I are doing and buy some rectangular tubing and bend it yourself. In the long run, that may be easier vs. cutting and rewelding a G3 mag. I spent something like $25 and have enough tubing for about 10 45 WM magazines.

These shorter mags will require an extension to move both the feed ramp and the forward locking lug backward by .75" or however much is required. This "shim" can be shaped to funnel the rounds more into the middle without worrying about them getting stuck on the trunion locking lugs.

Food for thought!

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.