Gunco Forums banner

Saiga .223 into 5.45x39mm

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  1biggun 
#1 ·
I am strongly considering buying a Saiga .223 w/ 16" barrel, removing the BBL from the trunion and selling/trading the complete barrel for a complete 5.45x39mm barrel. I have a spare 5.45 bolt, though I consider opening up the .223 bolt face since it has a spring loaded firing pin and is already headspaced to the trunion/carrier. Is there any reason why this bird wouldn't fly?

#4 ·
The Saiga .223 rifles also have no bullet guides in them. The magazine wells are cut for 7.62x39 size magazines for Saiga .223 magazines. The Saiga magazines are molded in the front to provide for case feeding. The Saiga .223 front trunnion is a rather odd piece in and of itself. I used the parts from a Saiga .223 along with a new DCI receiver and a 5.45x39 trunnion to make a great .223 rifle. Sold off the Saiga receiver and the rest of the parts that were'nt needed for $125. Basically I used the Saiga as a new parts kit for a .223 rifle. This way I payed around $155 for a .223 ak kit. The build was easy after demilling the new rifle. The new rifle uses the Bulgarian .223 polymer mags and works great. I don't think that the Saiga .223 would work to well for your purpose.

#7 ·
I sometimes respond to threads on gunco when I feel that I have usful information to share. I have done a few threads here also concerning a few builds. In this thread I shared what I feel is good information concerning the Saiga .223. Many times people jump to conclusions here concerning legalities. I beleive most if not all members here have no intention of breaking laws. In the past I've received some IM's concerning my thread on using VZ58 parts to convert a AR15 gas system to gas piston. All of the IM's came from people that wanted to tell me that the barrel being used would need to be SBR or made statements concerning my breaking of the law. Without knowing the facts they all assumed the worst of me. I replied to all through IM and explained the facts concerning the project and my compliance with legal matters. Now I received an IM concerning removing a Saiga trunnion from a Saiga receiver and the legalities concerning such, when my post states, among other things, that I used a 5.45x39 trunnion for construction of a .223 rifle using many of the parts from a Saiga .223. The fact of the matter is that the Saiga trunnion was sold with the receiver. Im not mad at anyone and there is really no reason to name any members here as I do think they are well meaning. I just wish they were'nt so quick to assume the worst. Sorry for the rant, I just got a bit disappointed in the fact that instead of useful information and problem solving I have on accaision got nut slapped for crimes uncommited.

#8 ·
DONT KNOW THE SPECIFICS BUT SUSPOSE YOU HAD BROKEN THE LAW UNINTENTIONALY (NOT IMPLING YOU DID) I WOULD MUCH RATHER GET A PM THAN A NOTICE POSTED IN PUPLIC ALERTING EVERY ONE TO THE FACT! IF THE PM WAS IN ERROR THEN AT LEAST IS WAS PRIVATE. AGAIN DONT KNOW THE DETAILS BUT IM GUESSING LIKE YOU SAID THEY MEANT WELL. ACUSATIONS ARE NEVER GOOD AND PERHAPS IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN WORDED AS HEY BY THE WAY DID YOU KNOW YOU CANT .......................................................................................
I ONCE GOT A PM ON A PROPOSED LARGER THAN .50 BUILD ABOUT IT BEING A ILEGAL BUILD GLAD I DID OR I MIGHT HAVE BEEN GUILTY OF STARTING ON SOMETHING THAT WOULD HAVE GOT ME 10 YEARS IN JAIL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.