Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 Grendel

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Some on the grendal sight they speak of a reamer avaliable for the 6.5x39. It has been around for awhile. the disadvantages of the it are as noted above are case capacity .IMOA the the 6.5x39 should be the easiest to build and make work as the standard mag would work. It would be a reload only propisition and might require a form die as well.
    there would be a performance loss as well. I personaly thing figuring out a mag and reamer for the grendal would be worth it unless you dont mind reloading.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Edit - rethinking my post here.

Seems that I recall a 6x39 wildcat already exists. I think a 6.5x39 does too... just don't know about that one.

If you necked it properly, you could have enough shoulder to headspace but the problem is the lack of powder capacity. You may be better served by starting with .308 / .30-06 brass and opening up your bolt face to use the .308 round.

Found my pic of the Grendel vs. 6mm PPC rounds:

Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

You may be better served by starting with .308 / .30-06 brass and opening up your bolt face to use the .308 round.
    That would basicaly be a 6.5 benchrest or a necked down 308x1.5 barnes. I have been wanting to do a 1.5 barnes based round for awhile.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Measured the reamer vs loaded and unfired brass.Other than the .292 neck, the dimensions on pookie's print on the G round are much closer to the reamer specs than the AA brass I have.Set the caliper to the .4323 forward case dim. and it will slide halfway down the case before touching.Seems like there is plenty of room for the case.Freebore may be an issue.I have to get a 6.5mm reamer to simulate the bore before I can ream a chunk and then cut it in half longwise and see how it all fits.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's only metal, it's not magic.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Another pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's only metal, it's not magic.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Pupwag. How much neck clearance is there based on your measurements??? looks like
    .004" (pleanty good)seems like I read that the comercialy avalible reamer had a pretty tight neck and very short free bore. I suspect it will still work on a autolader build but it might not be 100% reliable. my 223 varmit build uses a pretty tight bolt action chamber and it works pretty good with an ocasional failure to extract especially after the chamber an barrel get dirty. It is not nearly as good nwith steel wolf crap however.
    You already have the reamer you dont have much to loose. find a 264 mag or 260 REM take off barrel and rechamber it and try it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

does any one know the case capacity of the 6.5 grendal?? Just rying to figure out what could be gained here if necked back up to a .311 bore again, sort of a 7.62x39 improved? a couple grains coulld make a big differance here. looking closer at the print I also notice that the loaded length of the grendal is 2,250" this thing only has .003" clearance in the 7.62x39 mag I just measured (NOT MUCH).

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

FWIW, I got those prints from the 6mm PPC / 6mm Benchrest website. Not sure of how accurate they are.

Based on what I measured from the AK-47 Romy "G" chamber, I would expect the bore to be at least .002"-.003" larger than the actual cartridge. This is a "match grade" reamer, correct? A "service-grade" reamer would have more clearance - up to .006" on the AK-47. According to Clymer, the reamer could be up to .008" larger on autoloaders.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

.008 would really streach/work the brass and likely result in a buldge just past the head. Acurracy would likely be poor as well. I would shoot for around .002 to .004 at the neck. I am not sure how consistant the wolf and other brands of brass are.
    I wonder if one were to slightly modify the specks say add .001 to the overall length and perhaps subtract .001 form the free bore, if a reamer manufacture would be willing to make it then?? Also it sounds like if you ask Alexander arms for permission to have a reamer made for personal use they may likely allow it. I have been looking for a savage 223 bolt action for awhile to build up a 22 or 6mm ppc and since they allow easy barrel changes a lightwight barrel on 6.5 grendal would be nice for a carrry around varmit /coyote an whitetail hunter as well.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

good info on the 6.5x39 round here. with loads and velocitys. and case capacitys

The 6.5 Grendel Forum :: For the 6.5 Grendel Aficionado - 6.5x39mm velocity info.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Search tags for this page

6mm ppc ak

6x39 wildcat
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.