Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 Grendel

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Kinda hard to measure but looks like .003/.005 across the board case to reamer.Case/shoulder is the hardest to measure it looks like .008 but as you can see in the last pic the unfired brass is rather radiused there compared to the prints and reamer.It is a 6.5 Grendel finishing reamer from PTG is all I know.
    I bought an ORF Galil receiver and have the AR mag adapter and C-Products AR "G" mag so ALL I have to do is turn a barrel to have a 6.5 Grendel Galil.
    It's only metal, it's not magic.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Man that sounds like a really nice nice build$$. is that a milled reciver?? I regret that I didnt get a couple of those adapters myself before they all got bought up to be resold
    What length barrel and twist are you planing to go with? I personly would want a
    20"+ with a fast twist for the heavy bullets,but I like to try hitting stuff at 500YDS.
    Im kind of wondering if some of this reamer bussiness is just hype and an effort by Alander Arms to keep more controll on things?? I have read his posts on the grendal sight and he seems like a OK guy to ME however. (hey bill if your watching I need permission for a 6.5 and .50 bowulf)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Yes a threaded barrel and milled receiver.It just seemed the easiest way to go with mostly store bought components.With the OAL and taper of the cartridge AK mags would be a shaky comprimise at best IMHO (I monkeyed around with many).
    1 in 9"?I was thinking about 20" long.
    It's only metal, it's not magic.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

that thing should shoot good. I would love to try a varmit build on a milled and threaded reciver.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I just saw Wolf advertising their Privi-built Grendel ammo - BRASS CASED - in the current issue of SAR. So where is all this ammo?
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I havent seen it. I a litttle sceptical that there are enough guns in 6.5 grendal to support it. I feel alaxander arms is limiting the future of this round because none of the major manufactures are allowed to chamber it. I would love to buy a CZ or Savage bolt action or maybe a Ruger mini in 6.5 grendal. but right now Im limited to a Alaxander AR or a expensive custom custom bolt that Alaxander allows tobe built.
    On the other hand the 6.8SPC ammo is avaliable and with remington and others making it it seems to be taking off and a bunch of differant arms made for it.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i have seen quite a bit of brass cased wolf for $10.77 and at times as low as $9.99. which is high compared to the steel cased stuff. but compared to other brass cased ammo that ain't too bad. compared to decent 75g 5.56 --$$wise it costs about the same.

seems like i saw some of the good brass somewhere for $33/100--but i look at a lot of stuff on the net--YMMV on that.

haven't seen any of the steel cased stuff--and don't expect in for another year or so.--by then it might not be as inexpensive as everyone hopes. but i bet it will be no more expensive than any other round by that time.

i could try to put in that AA 16in barrel a AK--but it is mid-length--just much simpler to build an AR--you have parts that fit and mags. an AK in 6.5 would be the system to beat--and i'm sure the MOA would shrink considerable for an AK with the grendel. i may build one in the AR if nothing else. i guess time will tell--like it does for the 6.8 and 7.62x39 in the AR.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I don't want to contaminate this thread but I must say that everyone; up to now, is my hero!
    Want to buy: Tantal Left and Right side selector parts.

RRORC!
    I'm no sheep!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I hate to say it, but the more I look at the 6.5 and the 6.8, I must say I think I'd lean toward the 6.8 at this time, if I were to pick between the two. The Grendel's purpose is a mid- to long-range precision round. Really more like a 6.5 WSSM than anything else.

The 6.8 is intended to be a more heavy-hitting all-purpose round (vs. 5.56). To me, that versatility makes it more interesting as a general-purpose round.

Now, if Wolf actually does start selling the 6.5 I would probably be inclined to pick up some dies and a barrel "just because" it is available. One could always neck-up the brass to 9mm (.35 caliber) rounds for a nice 9x39 clone
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

HC this is were I will have dissagree. The dissagrement is not about he facts. Its which I would perfer. Yes the 6.8 has more close range knock down power. however in a real world situation. if you get hit by either one your are likely going to die if it is placed properly. I like long range stuff and likely are not going to be doing any close quarter combat (I hope) but I might want to try to hit a target or animal at 300 yards or more. I feel the grendal is more versital. both will out perform the 5.56. the grendal will out shoot the 6.8 at long range and nearly equial the 6.8 at close quarters the close quarters advantage can be reduced even further with different bullet selection.
    as far as the grendal being close to a 6.5 WSSM no way! the grendal will not even come close to a 260 Rem let alone the magnum. ammo price and avaliblty would sway me one direction or the other.
    I have a stainless heavy 6.8 SPC barrel set aside along with a 223 bolt(to be opend up) for a future 6.8 build

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Search tags for this page

6mm ppc ak

6x39 wildcat
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.