Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 Grendel

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Drilled a section of 1.00 Delrin rod then reamed it 6.5mm thru and followed with the reamer then milled away a section.Round drops right in to the shoulder with a bit of wobble available when seated.I'm going to use it.What trouble there may arise seems like it would be minimal.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's only metal, it's not magic.

Feedback Score

I agree with the 6.8 over the 6.5. To mee it just seems that the Grendel round is just reinventing the wheel, I think the intermediate rifle cartridge round was done before, the 7.62 kurtz, the 7.62x39, the 7.62x45 etc... I just really dont see the need, is it that much more accurate of a round, or are the guns that it is built around just better accuracy platforms?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

It is the round that makes it accurate. The BC of 6.5 is really sweet. I wonder how the new 6.5 LBC-AR would work. I think Les baer seems to be more reasonable for maufactures so I wonder if it would be cheaper then a Grendel.
    pat

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

There are other 6.5s out there just as good or better than the Grendel, but considering the Grendel is made from a 7.62x39 case and "natively" feeds through an AK magazine and bolt face, it's hard to justify anything else for an easy AK conversion.

After looking into the 6.5 it quickly became apparent that the intersection of realistic bullet weight, practical velocity, and ballistic coefficient has a nice sweet spot between 6 and 6.8mm. The old guys who designed the 6.5x55, .256 Mannlicher (which is, despite the designation, a 6.5...) and others did their homework.

I liked the 6.5 enough that I did a semi-wildcat for my 1905 Ross straight-pull rifle, necking .303 British brass down and running it through a Mannlicher sizing die to create, basically, a rimmed .256 Mannlicher. Pretty much the same deal as the Grendel; basically just necking the case down to 6.5. Since the rifle was already chambered for .303I don't expect any feed problems.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i have been shooting the 6.5 grendel for some time. i like it considerably better than the 6.8spc2. and either are better all around than 5.56 . the 6.5 really holds up well at longer ranges and gives up nothing up close. the 6.8 is very good at assault rifle ranges around 350-400M they do what they were designed to do within the powder volume limitations of their respective cases.

the thing about the 6.5g and 6.8 is that they were made to fit in the ar-15 type of mags so they have a limited width and AOL.

all around a 308 and other full size rounds on are better. but they won't fit in a standard assault rifle sized mag.

IF ammo for either the 6.5/6.8 were about the same price as 5.56/7.62x39 they would be selling like hotcakes.

i have seen some really impressive velocity from some 6.5 grendel based wildcats firing the 6mm bullet @ 100gr weight.

there was a lot of push for the grendel 6.5 round to be used for LMG round but the DOD was too busy buying $60,000 ink-pens and china made US flags!

a 6.5g AK would be interesting to shoot and could be a very accurate and long ranged shooter.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

just build a 260 remington load it to around 50,000 PSI nad it will out do any grendal or 6.8 SPC. the AK is not limmited to a AR length round so why restrict your selves to a AR round?? the grendal round is blown straight so it really wont work in a x39 mag.

If you going to play with this stuff you really need to reload anyway so might as well go with a wildcat or 308 win based round. IMOO a 6.5 or 6mm x39 based on a necked down only x39 brass would give a good compromise of velocity and reliability and would likely use a standard x39 mag. there are 6mmx39 wild cats out there. Very few of us can aford to do mag dumps of factory loaded grendal or spc ammo. a 243win or 260 rem can be formed from 7.62x51 once fired brass for a reasoably priced round. dont forget the 7mmx08 also.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

yea 7mm-08 would be sweet as well.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

I have been thinking of building one of my Barreless M76 kits into one of the three calibers...
    6.5mm-06, 6.5x57, 270 winchester... Leaning toward 270 just because I can get commercial but I can reload so the 6.5x57 or 6.5mm-06 would be fine also.

Wish I could get some good comparisons of the three but have not bee able to find much. I think the first two would be the easiest to feed out of the M76 mag so I have been waffling a bit. Now that I have a lathe I could get a 6.5 blank chanbered in one of those and do the profiling myself or I guess I could get a reamer and do that but it may be a bit more.

Pat

Feedback Score

this may help you find ammo for the 6.5 grendel
    YouTube - chopperchuck's Channel

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by chopper View Post
    this may help you find ammo for the 6.5 grendel
    YouTube - chopperchuck's Channel
    Looks cool... where do you get the water forming dies?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Search tags for this page

6mm ppc ak

6x39 wildcat
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.