Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Buick Guy

Thread: .40 AK?

Feedback Score

Default .40 AK?

I was just playing around with a Romanian 7.62x39 bolt and noticed a .40 cartidge is a close fit.

Could the extractor claw be modified slightly to better grip the cartridge? Or would a modification to the bolt face be better?

BTW, I searched and .40 would not work, forty got no results, and I read every page in this forum with no luck.
    dfm5609 likes this.
    If the left can make a cowardly mass muderer like che guevara a hero, I can make PinoCHEt mine.
    (That is not my Buick in the photo)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

It would be no different than a 9mm conversion. I did this with my Uzi.

The only thing you would need in addition to a 9mm conversion would be to open up the bolt face ever so slightly. You can probably get away with it as-is. Depends on the condition of the bolt. The rim on the .40 is so close to 9mm that a used bolt may require nothing at all. My Uzi "opened up" after about 200 rounds, and it "just worked" with .40 after that.

You can also use the same magazines as with a 9mm, albeit with a slightly lower capacity.

It would work!
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie View Post
    It would be no different than a 9mm conversion. I did this with my Uzi.

The only thing you would need in addition to a 9mm conversion would be to open up the bolt face ever so slightly. You can probably get away with it as-is. Depends on the condition of the bolt. The rim on the .40 is so close to 9mm that a used bolt may require nothing at all. My Uzi "opened up" after about 200 rounds, and it "just worked" with .40 after that.

You can also use the same magazines as with a 9mm, albeit with a slightly lower capacity.

It would work!
    Well, the cartridge is a bit loose. I can can make it fall out by it's own-unlike the 7.62x39. That's what had me worried.

It's very funny you mention the Uzi. I plan to use Uzi mags and have an Uzi lower on the way. We'll see if it works.

Thanks for the response.
    If the left can make a cowardly mass muderer like che guevara a hero, I can make PinoCHEt mine.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Did you look at how a lot of people did the 9mm conversions with the AK bolt? They welded a sleeve in the bolt to take up the extra space. Do you think that would work?

Feedback Score

You'll want to use a 5.45x39mm bolt like the ones used for 9mm conversions. The case rim diameter for .40 cal is so very close to 9mm, and both are too small to really work with the larger bolt face of a 7.62x39mm bolt.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    Did you look at how a lot of people did the 9mm conversions with the AK bolt? They welded a sleeve in the bolt to take up the extra space. Do you think that would work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullpup View Post
    You'll want to use a 5.45x39mm bolt like the ones used for 9mm conversions. The case rim diameter for .40 cal is so very close to 9mm, and both are too small to really work with the larger bolt face of a 7.62x39mm bolt.
    Yup. I could be wrong, but isn't a TIG welder needed to do that?
    I was wondering if extra material could be MIG welded in then turned down?
    OR
    Opening up the face of a 5.45 bolt as the 9mm barely fits in my 5.56 bolt (used for comaprison). It all means spending more money on AK parts, regardless. Darn.

Thanks. I knew I could count on the AK gurus here.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Yes it would be a lot easier to use a 5.45 bolt but cost and sometimes finding them is a factor.

Yup. I could be wrong, but isn't a TIG welder needed to do that?
    I was wondering if extra material could be MIG welded in then turned down?
    A TIG is the best way to do it.
    I don't know if doing the MIG thing would work but it sound like it could?

Here's a good suggestion, I will most likely have to do this too because I want to do a 9mm build and don't have the welding skills or tools to do it.
    Post and ad in the classifieds area for help, send your 7.62 bolt and a spent .40 case to someone that has the tools (a TIG and maybe a mill or lathe) and have them weld in the sleeve and get it so the .40 case fits. If you think you can do the finishing work just have them weld in the sleeve.
    This would be cheaper then a machine shop or smith and there is quite a few people on here and other forum that have the tools and knowledge, you just need to find the one that will do it.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    Yes it would be a lot easier to use a 5.45 bolt but cost and sometimes finding them is a factor.

A TIG is the best way to do it.
    I don't know if doing the MIG thing would work but it sound like it could?

Here's a good suggestion, I will most likely have to do this too because I want to do a 9mm build and don't have the welding skills or tools to do it.
    Post and ad in the classifieds area for help, send your 7.62 bolt and a spent .40 case to someone that has the tools (a TIG and maybe a mill or lathe) and have them weld in the sleeve and get it so the .40 case fits. If you think you can do the finishing work just have them weld in the sleeve.
    This would be cheaper then a machine shop or smith and there is quite a few people on here and other forum that have the tools and knowledge, you just need to find the one that will do it.
    I've decided on the 5.45 bolt. They are about $62 but no biggie. You want something different you have to pay sometimes.

Lichtenberg Research was advertising 6 bolts modified wuth the AZHONKEY method for 9mm.
    4 were stripped $60, 2 were complete $80 each. Link below.

'+windowtitle+'

I appreciate all the help.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.